• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers list Jeremy Cash as linebacker.

Jeremy Igo

Just now, Growl said:

Its probably for the best for his sake, but it's going to be really difficult for him to catch on here doing it. 

What's going to be hard for him to catch on here? I'm just wondering becaue it seems like his only responsibilities will be attack the line of scrimmage tackle the ball carrier or play runner in punts. I'm wondering are we grooming him to replace Shaq with Shaq replacing TD next year (typically)?

Jjones already commented on what role Cash will have yesterday;

"According to team sources, Carolina wants to use Cash in sub-packages. That means he won’t be on the field for every down as a strong safety, but instead he’ll be a situational player.

Cash’s role will be similar to what Arizona did with Deone Bucannon, whom they drafted in 2014 as a safety and transitioned to a hybrid “money” linebacker.

On first and second downs he’d be used primarily to stop the run, cover a tight end or bigger slot receiver. On third downs he could do those things or rush the passer as a blitzer."

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article75000452.html

Undrafted Duke S Jeremy Cash could play hybrid role with Panthers

"According to team sources, Carolina wants to use Cash in sub-packages. That means he won’t be on the field for every down as a strong safety, but instead he’ll be a situational player.

Cash’s role will be similar to what Arizona did with Deone Bucannon, whom they drafted in 2014 as a safety and transitioned to a hybrid “money” linebacker.

On first and second downs he’d be used primarily to stop the run, cover a tight end or bigger slot receiver. On third downs he could do those things or rush the passer as a blitzer."

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article75000452.html

It's clear what his strengths and weaknesses are, and you can bet he'll be used to maximize the former and minimize the latter.

1 minute ago, Norway said:

Jjones already commented on what role Cash will have yesterday;

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article75000452.html

You beat me to it Norway. Let's just pretend I quoted your post.

8 minutes ago, Growl said:

Its probably for the best for his sake, but it's going to be really difficult for him to catch on here doing it. 

He went undrafted and is very much a developmental guy given his size and experience in college. I would think that they would give him the time necessary to "catch on",  especially considering that by all accounts he is a smart football player.  Moreover,  people suspect that Klein will want to start somewhere next year and that Mayo is next in line.  Cash would presumably be in play as a backup. 

12 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I can't think of a single player ever listed as a lb that was put in at safety. Even when Thomas Davis played safety he was listed as such.

Cash is a LB.

yep, and if anybody is successfully converting Safeties to LB's, its us.

But until he gets that size on him... I think he can make some noise on special teams. 

Cash as a LB won't really have pressure to perform on the field in actual defensive sets right away. All he'll need to do early on, to take Ben Jacobs spot, is be an upgrade on Special Teams. This would give him time to develop as Shaq, Klein and Mayo are all already more than adequate major contributor / depth pieces 

15 minutes ago, Norway said:

Ah yes, Bucannon's "Money Linebacker" role was talked about a lot in the predraft process as something other teams were looking to emulate. The Cards even list him as a $LB, and who better to take on that role than a guy named Cash. 

Archived