• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A Funchess Reminder

Jeremy Igo

People want impossibly fast results on young players these days. Elite players just don't happen in a year or 2 (or even 3 or 4). It takes time for young players to develop, and what we saw from Funchess was progression towards the end of the year and into the playoffs. I am excited to contine to see this man grow.

For anyone interested, I never saw this video yet of his rookie highlights. Good lord he is a nightmare matchup in the redzone. Those slants were unstoppable.

19 minutes ago, Castavar said:

People want impossibly fast results on young players these days. Elite players just don't happen in a year or 2 (or even 3 or 4). It takes time for young players to develop, and what we saw from Funchess was progression towards the end of the year and into the playoffs. I am excited to contine to see this man grow.

For anyone interested, I never saw this video yet of his rookie highlights. Good lord he is a nightmare matchup in the redzone. Those slants were unstoppable.

Just imagine KB, Funchess, Olsen, maybe Hill and Cam in the redzone.  You cant stop them all.  That doesnt even include Tolbert and Stewart running the ball. 

I am really hoping that either Hill or Byrd ball out during Preseason.

We have good size and possession WR's in KB, Funch, Olsen, and even Garrett (if he can make the squad). 

However, we have little to no speed outside of Ginn.  We need another guy to be able to stretch the field....and Brown is not really that guy.

Waiting to see what kind of runner Hill is now. I suspect he doesnt have the agility of KB or Funch. Funch was running from the slot, running quick slants. It was nasty, he has very powerful legs. Need Olsen to hang in there and slow his role on the broadcasting career. 

10 minutes ago, MadHatter said:

I am really hoping that either Hill or Byrd ball out during Preseason.

We have good size and possession WR's in KB, Funch, Olsen, and even Garrett (if he can make the squad). 

However, we have little to no speed outside of Ginn.  We need another guy to be able to stretch the field....and Brown is not really that guy.

Im not so sure its the speed of the receiver so much it is the combination of speed, size and skill. What I mean by that is that KB stretches the field. Watch him in his rookie year and tell me how many times we went deep at him. It was a big threat.

His ability to run all the routes he does gives him the ability to break deep when he's in one on one.

Exactly, I doubt that he has a 1000 yd season even without having to split catches with KB, Ginn, Olsen and whoever else ends up on the squad, but he showed consistent improvement last year, and I see no reason to believe that he won't continue to get better. He was basically a non-factor for the first half of the season, but really did well down the stretch. I'm excited to see how he plays week 1.

And yes, I'm browsing old threads while waiting on Igo's daily updates.

Quote from Igo's post today:

"The Player of the day was Devin Funchess, who looked every bit as good as Kelvin Benjamin today. Funchess may quietly be the most improved player on the field. Keep an eye on this, he could turn heads sooner rather than later. "

I don't know if I'm psychic or just bored at work and perusing 2 week old posts! either way;  Woop the damn doo!

Keep pounding Fun Fun!

3 hours ago, Razeyfingers said:

Im not so sure its the speed of the receiver so much it is the combination of speed, size and skill. What I mean by that is that KB stretches the field. Watch him in his rookie year and tell me how many times we went deep at him. It was a big threat.

His ability to run all the routes he does gives him the ability to break deep when he's in one on one.

It is not about how many times you go deep.  It is about having the speed that scares the DB...forcing a Safety over the top. KB does not have the speed that scares a defense....Ginn, Hill, and Byrd do.  

21 hours ago, MadHatter said:

It is not about how many times you go deep.  It is about having the speed that scares the DB...forcing a Safety over the top. KB does not have the speed that scares a defense....Ginn, Hill, and Byrd do.  

Its not about having the speed that scares the DB, Hatter, thats my point. Its about having the  speed , size and or skill to get by him. Speed is just one variable but you can make do with the other two like KB and Philly do. Thats what youre not understanding here. 

Philly gets deep

KB gets deep

Many receivers not named Ginn get deep

What you will no longer get with Ginn gone is someone that can completely run by someone. That doesnt in anyway mean that Cam wont have a deep option. His deep option may not be 3 strides ahead on a go route but Ginn also likely isnt going to catch a deep slant or deep out/in. Philly and KB can do that, Ginn cant. Im trying to explain to you that if you draw a grid on the defense, we will still be attacking those back 3 grids all day without Ginn on the field regardless. KB gets there and so does Philly, Funch did a lil too. Funch will be even better this year.

This most worthless receiver on the "Huddlers making it" squad right now is Ginn by far. I only see him as an ST's vet now, thats all. He shouldnt line up wide at all this year imo. 

Speed is good but isnt everything. Good technique route running along with speed and sure hands is what we need. I think  KB with Greg and Ginn on the field with Brown or Funchess in the slot is the best bet. With some packages with Funchess and KB as our WR1 AND WR2 with Ginn in the slot. It would be absolute nightmare to have a crossing route with Ginn and KB on the same side. When Ginn can outrun almost any DB and KB can out jump any Safety.  Philly and (Byrd or Hill) could be a great asset in the slot.

Archived