• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A Funchess Reminder

Jeremy Igo

2 hours ago, bobcat91 said:

I like Funchess, but we have a lot of WR that are the same size, speed and skill set.  We needed a true route runner with speed--i.e.. Shepard.  We needed DLine help and CB/S help and we got it.  But we totally ignored the fact that Denver bottled up our WR and they got no separation, hence exposing our second weakness--the Oline.  We did not address either.  Ginn is gone after this year and we have no replacement.

Ahhh the time of year that noobs create accounts and say dumb poo. 

2 hours ago, OneBadCat said:

Yup. And I don't get why everyone is so quick to get rid of Philly. That sumbitch is slowly becoming a pretty good WR.

Philly was decent in the playoffs but though the season he was pretty bad. Philly had 740 snaps vs Funchess 500, yet he had the same amount of receptions and 447 yards. he is the weakest of the WRs from last year and the easiest to replace. 

Guys, I don't think we realize how lucky we are to have gone 15-1.  This season was a sea change for us.  There were murmurings at the beginning of the season that if Rivera got off to another slow start he'd be right back on the hot seat.  Fast forward to today, and we're talking about an NFL Dynasty on par with the Patriots.  The crazy thing about that is that it's absolutely true.

Gettleman has accomplished his whole plan--to do what is in the best interest for the Carolina Panthers.  He has focused on the line.  He has let his team work through the struggles of the WR corp., the OL group, the CBs, and the DEs, and has steadied his faith in the coaching staff.  Granted, he did inherent some pretty good parts.  He took this thing from a BMW to a damn Bentley in 3 friggin years.  And how has he don't that?  Eye for the talent that he needs to give to the coaches so that they can execute their gameplans.

As we sit upon the precipice of greatness, we will quite literally see how, as they say, "a star is born."  You could see that Funchess was just loving being in the NFL; he was MOST definitely "green."  And that was alright, it was fun to see . . . so long as he improved.  And guess what, he DID (nod to Proehl).  Jeremy is right on the money.  I had faith in this kid and could see it, and this year he really has a chance to breakout.  KB is back which helps take the heat off, and then he'll be even better than just talent alone.

GOD I'M FUGING EXCITED!!!!!

8 hours ago, OneBadCat said:

Yup. And I don't get why everyone is so quick to get rid of Philly. That sumbitch is slowly becoming a pretty good WR.

You can't help but root for the little fugger. He fights his ass off out there. 

7 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I'm not sure Philly is safe.

He was by far our best WR the entire postseason and we'd have had a much better chance at coming back in SB if he didn't get the concussion. Could we really find 5-6 receivers we'd rather keep than him?

38 minutes ago, thomas96 said:

He was by far our best WR the entire postseason and we'd have had a much better chance at coming back in SB if he didn't get the concussion. Could we really find 5-6 receivers we'd rather keep than him?

No we can't. People pound the table for WR who runs good routes. Philly is the best on the team in that regard. His hands have become very good. Folks just can't shake a pre-season case of the yips. He dropped one pass last year. ONE! He is effective in the slot. He's not Ginn fast, but neither is almost anyone else in the NFL. And he's not going to drop a TD pass for every one he catches. 

If he was originally a 3rd round pick, instead of an UDFA, this wouldn't even be a conversation. We need WRs who create separation, according to eveyone, yet don't value the guy who does it on a consistent basis (and actually catches more than half the balls). 

Archived