• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My early depth chart of the Panthers atm

KillerKat

3 minutes ago, SOJA said:

not bad OP- think we'd cut Wegher in this situation and add more depth on the offensive line- also we might try to stash Marlowe on the PS again 

I have a feeling Bersin gets the ax if we add another lineman. Garrett kinda makes a 6th WR irrelevant. I have him on there for now because Cam likes him and he has sure hands despite having trouble with speed and getting separation. Apparently Garrett can do all those things. Just needs to work on route running.

4 minutes ago, SOJA said:

not bad OP- think we'd cut Wegher in this situation and add more depth on the offensive line- also we might try to stash Marlowe on the PS again 

I actually would rather see us cut Fozzy than Brandon.  Brandon hasn't been given a chance to show what he can do. Need to give the guy one more year. 

7 minutes ago, The Lone Panther said:

Really hope Blechen or Norris can come in a beat out Jacobs for the #2 ILB spot. 

Yeah our backup LB depth is pretty poor. Jacobs and Mayo are mainly for ST. Klein really is our only backup. Blechen looked good towards the end of last preseason. 

Just now, KillerKat said:

Yeah our backup LB depth is pretty poor. Jacobs and Mayo are mainly for ST. Klein really is our only backup. Blechen looked good towards the end of last preseason. 

I never understood why they kept Jacobs around.  He's a below average LB and an average ST contributor.  Definitely need an upgrade there.  

28 minutes ago, thennek said:

I still think we bring more punter competition as well.  Not having a solid punter can be a big deal.  Not only does he punt, but he is also the holder for field goals/extra points.  

Yes, I agree.  Gettleman pretty much said as much last night.  They were even considering drafting a punter in the 7th, but didn't see any they liked.  They like Swayze, but will be looking very closely at veteran cuts...

Gettleman has a weakness for Hog Mollies.  He admitted he couldn't help himself in picking Butler.  (No complaints, I think it was a very solid pick).

I have a weakness for spreadsheets!  Even though I said I wasn't gonna do it... I couldn't help myself.   Since I'm very curious about whether all of our draft picks will make the roster this year,  and since I've gotten an early crush on a couple of our UDFAs, and since I'm wondering what positions we might still need to bolster with FA signings, I wanted to play with the roster and see how it's shaping up... how many spots are realistically open.  So... here you go.  Just my opinion of course.

Offense here, then will follow with defense in the next comment.

Roster_prj-Off(may3).png

I came up with 14 almost certain locks (barring injury or a very unexpected decline in play).  The only potential question mark I could see among this group is Tolbert.  I'm pretty sure we're expecting to keep him this season, but looks like we're bringing in some solid competition:  (UDFAs RB Devon Johnson, FB Andrew Bonnet).

Beyond that are 8 semi-definite locks, numbered above from 15 (Joe Webb) to 22 (Beau Sandland).  In a few cases I've chosen the player whose position it is to lose (Fozzy, Philly, Chris Scott, Gino Gradkowski).  Right now these guys are penciled in... but it's not at all too hard to imagine that they could be beat out by someone else.

This leaves maybe 2 or 3 openings on the roster.   With only 4 WRs highlighted above, I'd tend to think there could be another 2 WRs added, with Garrett  in the running just because he could be a target to be poached from our PS.  Also, I'm quite nervous carrying only 8 Oline guys on our 53.  Would really like a 9th so, I am advocating for a veteran OT pickup.

If we add 2 WRs and 1 OT (yet to be found), this would give us:

• 3 QBs (though Webb's primary role is on ST)
  • 3 RBs
  • 1 FB
  • 3 TEs
  • 2 C
  • 3 G
  • 4 T
  • 6 WRs

TOTAL: 25 players on Offense.

In addition to the 22 players numbered above, I'll go out on a limb with a WAAAAYYYY TOO EARLY (sight unseen!) prediction, and predict that Garrett & Hill will be the WRs to make the roster, along with a yet to be signed OT.

Now for Defense:

This is a LOT more fluid.  A couple of position groups (DE, CB & S) will have serious competition.

Here's how I see it shaping up now in this WAAAYYY TOO EARLY analysis:

Roster_prj-Def(may3).png

I have only 10 near certain locks for the roster... meaning (as we all know) there are starting spots up for grabs... even my #10, Tre Boston is a bit uncertain.  I have him as a lock to make the roster.  But whether he starts...?  We'll have to see.

After these 10 are another 7 pretty solid bets to be on the 53, for a total of 17 certain or semi-certain locks.

That means as many as 8 spots up for grabs.... Wow. 

I've indicated those I think are the current favorites to win these open spots with question marks.  As with Garrett on Offense, I think Jeremy Cash has a good head-start to make the roster if we like him at all, because he would quite likely get poached from our PS.

This would give us 25 players on defense, as follows:

• DEs  5 (gave the 5th spot to Miley based on how close he came to making the roster last year)
  • DTs  5  (I could see us cutting Kyle Love... but for now he's got a spot to lose)
  • LBs  6 (I've gone with Jacobs as it's currently his position to lose, but no means am certain he'll win the spot)
  • S  4  (After Coleman and Boston, this is a wide open competition!  I've guessed re: Marlowe & Cash)
  • CBs: 5  (Since DG has not yet ever cut a draft pick, I presume all 3 of our draft picks will make the roster, but I'm not entirely comfortable with this combination of  A solid player (Bene) coming off a late-season injury; A new FA (Boykin); and Three raw rookies.   If we trim someone from the DL, I could see us carrying 6 CBs this season, perhaps keeping McClain as veteran depth / insurance.

As for Special Teams, I can not imagine us carrying 4 on our roster.  Only 3.  Though it would not shock me at all if we carried a 2nd punter on our practice squad.

So:  Jansen and Gano are locks, with a Punter TDB.  Swayze Waters currently is the favorite, but he'll have competition in Palardy and probably at least one other punter (perhaps a veteran) in camp.

So there you have a 53 man roster.

25 offense, 25 defense & 3 ST

10 hours ago, KB_fan said:

Gettleman has a weakness for Hog Mollies.  He admitted he couldn't help himself in picking Butler.  (No complaints, I think it was a very solid pick).

I have a weakness for spreadsheets!  Even though I said I wasn't gonna do it... I couldn't help myself.   Since I'm very curious about whether all of our draft picks will make the roster this year,  and since I've gotten an early crush on a couple of our UDFAs, and since I'm wondering what positions we might still need to bolster with FA signings, I wanted to play with the roster and see how it's shaping up... how many spots are realistically open.  So... here you go.  Just my opinion of course.

Offense here, then will follow with defense in the next comment.

Roster_prj-Off(may3).png

I came up with 14 almost certain locks (barring injury or a very unexpected decline in play).  The only potential question mark I could see among this group is Tolbert.  I'm pretty sure we're expecting to keep him this season, but looks like we're bringing in some solid competition:  (UDFAs RB Devon Johnson, FB Andrew Bonnet).

Beyond that are 8 semi-definite locks, numbered above from 15 (Joe Webb) to 22 (Beau Sandland).  In a few cases I've chosen the player whose position it is to lose (Fozzy, Philly, Chris Scott, Gino Gradkowski).  Right now these guys are penciled in... but it's not at all too hard to imagine that they could be beat out by someone else.

This leaves maybe 2 or 3 openings on the roster.   With only 4 WRs highlighted above, I'd tend to think there could be another 2 WRs added, with Garrett  in the running just because he could be a target to be poached from our PS.  Also, I'm quite nervous carrying only 8 Oline guys on our 53.  Would really like a 9th so, I am advocating for a veteran OT pickup.

If we add 2 WRs and 1 OT (yet to be found), this would give us:

• 3 QBs (though Webb's primary role is on ST)
  • 3 RBs
  • 1 FB
  • 3 TEs
  • 2 C
  • 3 G
  • 4 T
  • 6 WRs

TOTAL: 25 players on Offense.

In addition to the 22 players numbered above, I'll go out on a limb with a WAAAAYYYY TOO EARLY (sight unseen!) prediction, and predict that Garrett & Hill will be the WRs to make the roster, along with a yet to be signed OT.

I imagine Ed Dickson could lose his job and be cut in camp.  We have 3 young TEs who can give him a run.  We save about $1m per season by cutting him.  Since we do not need the cap room or roster spot, no sense doing it now---but I predict we do by the end of preseason.

Prediction:  Garrett, KB, and Funchess are the top 3 WRs this year.

10 hours ago, KB_fan said:

Now for Defense:

This is a LOT more fluid.  A couple of position groups (DE, CB & S) will have serious competition.

Here's how I see it shaping up now in this WAAAYYY TOO EARLY analysis:

Roster_prj-Def(may3).png

I have only 10 near certain locks for the roster... meaning (as we all know) there are starting spots up for grabs... even my #10, Tre Boston is a bit uncertain.  I have him as a lock to make the roster.  But whether he starts...?  We'll have to see.

After these 10 are another 7 pretty solid bets to be on the 53, for a total of 17 certain or semi-certain locks.

That means as many as 8 spots up for grabs.... Wow. 

I've indicated those I think are the current favorites to win these open spots with question marks.  As with Garrett on Offense, I think Jeremy Cash has a good head-start to make the roster if we like him at all, because he would quite likely get poached from our PS.

This would give us 25 players on defense, as follows:

• DEs  5 (gave the 5th spot to Miley based on how close he came to making the roster last year)
  • DTs  5  (I could see us cutting Kyle Love... but for now he's got a spot to lose)
  • LBs  6 (I've gone with Jacobs as it's currently his position to lose, but no means am certain he'll win the spot)
  • S  4  (After Coleman and Boston, this is a wide open competition!  I've guessed re: Marlowe & Cash)
  • CBs: 5  (Since DG has not yet ever cut a draft pick, I presume all 3 of our draft picks will make the roster, but I'm not entirely comfortable with this combination of  A solid player (Bene) coming off a late-season injury; A new FA (Boykin); and Three raw rookies.   If we trim someone from the DL, I could see us carrying 6 CBs this season, perhaps keeping McClain as veteran depth / insurance.

Here, cash goes to LB (nobody saw this at the time).  Sounds like they are intent on getting him to 225 and playing him at WLB.  If so, I would possibly add Robinson (SS experience at Washington) to his S spot.  I don't like position players who can;'t play a position but play special teams---Teddy, Colin---no backup value.  I think we could have replaced them in the draft/UDFA signings. 

I would speculate that Cash has an above 50% chance to make the roster--we really have no true OLBs after Shaq and TD.  Klein is a liability in the flat, and is best at ILB (We could trade Klein  for a T--my boldest prediction)

OLB:  Davis, Thompson, Cash  Klein

MLB: Kuechly, Mayo, Jacobs

Keep Klein, Jacobs gets cut.  Trade Klein, Jacobs' family eats this winter, we get a Tackle of decent quality

My two cents...

Depth Chart - 53

QB: C. Newton / D. Anderson / J. Webb

RB : J. Stewart / C. Payne / B. Wegher

FB:  M. Tolbert

TE:  G. Olsen / E. Dickson / B. Sandland

WR:  K. Benjamin / D. Funchess / K. Garrett

WR:   T. Ginn / C. Brown

LOT:  M. Oher / D. Williams / A. Silatolu

LOG:  A. Norwell / A. Silatolu (we resign)

OC:   R. Kalil / G. Gradkowski

ROG:  T. Turner / D. Yankey

ROT:  M. Remmers / D. Williams

LDE:  K. Ealy / M. Addison

LDT:  S. Lotulelei  / P. Soliai  / K. Love

RDT:  K. Short / V. Butler

RDE:  C. Johnson  / R. Delaire / R. Cox

OLB:  T. Davis / D. Mayo

ILB:  L Kuechly / J. Cash

OLB:  S. Thompson / A. Klein

LCB:  R. McClain / D. Worley

SS:  T. Boston / D. Marlowe / J. Cash

FS:   K. Coleman / C. Jones

RCB  B. Benwikere / J. Bradberry

NB:  B. Boykin / Z. Sanchez

LS: J. Jansen

K:  G. Gano

P:  S. Waters

Practice Squad - 10

J. McGee - TE

J. Norris - LB

M. Ball - S

L. Young - CB

D. Johnson - RB

K Norwood - WR

A. Miley - DE

C. Alecxih - DT

D. Hawkins - OT

R. Dismukes - OG

well since this is already bumped, I updated my chart in my blog after it was announced Cash would be a OLB.

OFFENSE: 
WR1: Kelvin Benjamin - Philly Brown - (Keyarris Garrett)
LT: Michael Oher
LG: Andrew Norwell
C: Ryan Kalil  - #Gino Gradkowski#
RG: Trai Turner - Chris Scott
RT: Mike Remmers - Daryl Williams
TE:  Greg Olsen - Ed Dickson - *Beau Sandland*
WR2: Ted Ginn Jr. - Devin Funchess 
QB: Cam Newton - Derek Anderson - Joe Webb
FB: Mike Tolbert 
RB: Jonathan Stewart - Fozzy Whittaker - Cameron Artis-Payne - Brandon Wegher

DEFENSE: 
LE: Charles Johnson - Mario Addison