• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gettleman says BPA philosophy changed this year.

Jeremy Igo

3 minutes ago, Blackmagic said:

It actually would. We can roll over the remaining cap to next year. Money not spent on Norman, can be spent on players that they deem more worthy.

You misunderstand. We aren't going to be attempting to sign all those players this offseason. Nor next offseason.

Star has two years left. Turner has two years left (and is a OG lol) KB has three. 

I totally trust G-man's scouting abilities, but I don't trust the philosophy behind it. Drafting for a need and reaching at the bottom of a major run on cornerbacks doesn't feel very Gettleman like, but that's what it looks like happened.  Part of it is bad luck that the 2nd round went badly for us based on who other teams picked (five other cornerback, the henry's, cravens, bell, spriggs shepherd, ogbah, dodd, Thomas, Ward... I thought at least one of those 15 or so players would be there). But I would have liked a running back, tight end, or even where I feel there is still good value.

But what do I know. All my info comes from reading what people post on this fan forum I found one time.

Just now, Growl said:

You misunderstand. We aren't going to be attempting to sign all those players this offseason. Nor next offseason.

Star has two years left. Turner has two years left (and is a OG lol) KB has three. 

I know. But they've to project for the upcoming three years with the upcoming. Gettleman doesn't want to come near our previous cap problems. You always want to have around 10 million cap space during the season (not this season, but every year).

1 minute ago, Blackmagic said:

I know. But they've to project for the upcoming three years with the upcoming. Gettleman doesn't want to come near our previous cap problems. You always want to have around 10 million cap space during the season (not this season, but every year).

And you think resigning roughly one player of value each year is going to keep us from that?

6 hours ago, uscgamecocks said:

To further the discussion on the two CBs:

The Seahawks have a 32" arm length requirement for their corners.  They also heavily utilize SPARQ in analyzing prospects to determine their relative athleticism to other NFL players at their positions.  The Seahawks, as I'm sure you've noticed, look for elite athleticism traits in scouting prospects.

https://3sigmaathlete.com/rankings/cb/

As the link above shows, Bradberry is the fifth most athletic CB in this draft.  In fact, he is more athletic than 92.6% of NFL Corners.  He and Jalen Ramsey are the only two CBs in the top five that have > 32" arms.  I think it's very safe to assume that the Seahawks had him on their radar.

Daryl Worley also has > 32" arms and is a slightly above-average NFL cornerback by SPARQ.  The SPARQ database I linked above actually contains his combine results - when his mother claimed he was sick.  He improved his 40 time from 4.6 to 4.48 at his pro day - so it's safe to assume he might actually be above the 55% among NFL CBs.  Another guy that was probably on Seattle's radar.

Further, both Bradberry and Worley seem to be great scheme fits - which is oftentimes much more important than drafting pure talent / athleticism.

Worth noting - everyone on this forum seemed to love the idea of Harlan Miller.  He has < 31" arms and is in the 4.7 percentile among NFL athletes.  I think that pick in the 3rd would have been cheered, because everyone here has heard his name.

Seattle fan and blogger Zach Whitman (who is involved with 3 sigma athlete, linked above) was less than thrilled with our picks:

Zach Whitman@zjwhitman 5h

5 hours ago

I'm very annoyed by the Panthers taking Bradberry.

Zach Whitman@zjwhitman 4h

4 hours ago

Daryl Worley another long corner for Carolina. 80" wingspan and just turned 21.

Frankly - it's become clear that the Panthers don't give a damn what any media outlets think about their draft or their board.  It's pretty clear to me that they do a ton of their own work (the GM is a scout by trade, after all) and they live and die by the board they assemble.

The Seahawks and Patriots are notorious for marching to the beat of their own drum during the draft.  It's worked out pretty well for them.  And we've been one of the best drafting teams in the league since DG took over.

Fuging great post. Show this to all the whiney fans who didn't get their favorite prospect drafted. If our GM hasn't earned this fan bases trust yet, with all that he and this staff has accomplished in the last 4-5 years, I think we're being a little unreasonable.

If you want to look at what some of the scouts thought about Bradberry Bob Mcginn rated the top 10 cb buy what scouts told him, yes the same scouts that said Eli Apple can't cook.  He had Bradberry rated the 10th best corner.

10. JAMES BRADBERRY, Samford (6-0 ½, 209, 4.53, 3): Redshirted at Arkansas State in 2011 but transferred when the school wanted him to play safety. Four-year starting CB at Samford, which has had three DBs drafted in the last four years. "Good kid, extremely smart (Wonderlic of 21)," said one scout. "His biggest issue was lateral quickness and change of direction. As a result, he's still a developmental guy. He's got to get better at that before he becomes a guy you can consistently trust in man coverage. Otherwise, he'll have to be a zone corner." Finished with 128 tackles (8 ½ for loss), 8 picks and 27 PBUs. "He's just big and strong," another scout said. "He's got a ways to go." From Pleasant Grove, Ala.

Whole article here

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/Rating-the-NFL-draft-prospects-Defensive-backs-377161071.html

4 hours ago, Bogart said:

Norman was not under contract!  Stop spreading misinformation!  He didn't sign the damn tag and I'm sick of seeing this bullshit spewed in every thread complaining that Dave could have forced Norman to play here this season.  Enough with the crap, he's gone, get over it.

Secondly, all of you critizing these picks please give us your qualifications as a college scout. How many years have you been evaluating players for NFL teams?  If you're not a scout please spare us all your bitchfest.

B-b-b-but nfl.com says they were mid rounders!!

4 hours ago, AceBoogie said:

No we're offended he essentially released our all pro corner, then proceeded to reach for two more when he had a good one under contract for a year at minimum. 

G-man had a few choices 

1) Keep Jno 1 more year. Then start over 12 months from now grooming a new corner that wouldn't be ready until 36 months from now.

or

2) Let Jno walk. Then start grooming 2 new corners now that will be ready asap and will be there for the next 4 - 5 years.  

Archived