• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gettleman says BPA philosophy changed this year.

Jeremy Igo

8 hours ago, KillerKat said:

Flys in the face of everyone saying the Norman situation wouldn't change our draft strategy. 

Really come on guys. G-man knows what he is doing. 

Tampa took a Kicker in the 2nd round, a kicker! and we are offended G-man didn't check with us before he alter his BPA strategy in the draft. 

SCHEME FIT! What don't people understand about this? We were scrapping the bottom of the CB barrell last season and now Gman has found two guys who fit our defense to the letter. We aren't putting them out there to get baptized by fire. If McLain and Finnegan can grasp their role and this defense in a couple of weeks I have a lot of expectations for rookies Gman, Rivera and the staff have had all off season to evaluate.

5 hours ago, uscgamecocks said:

To further the discussion on the two CBs:

The Seahawks have a 32" arm length requirement for their corners.  They also heavily utilize SPARQ in analyzing prospects to determine their relative athleticism to other NFL players at their positions.  The Seahawks, as I'm sure you've noticed, look for elite athleticism traits in scouting prospects.

https://3sigmaathlete.com/rankings/cb/

As the link above shows, Bradberry is the fifth most athletic CB in this draft.  In fact, he is more athletic than 92.6% of NFL Corners.  He and Jalen Ramsey are the only two CBs in the top five that have > 32" arms.  I think it's very safe to assume that the Seahawks had him on their radar.

Can this post be pied 100 times and pinned?  Seriously, the most helpful post of the past 12 hours!  Thanks @uscgamecocks

They were clearly locked in on getting some CB's in round 2-3. From BBR;

"According to Gettleman, after Baylor's Xavien Howard, Clemson's Mackensie Alexander, Maryland's Sean Davis and Alabama's Cyrus Jones went in the second round, the next two corners on the Panthers' board were James Bradberry and Daryl Worley. In a span of 16 picks, Gettleman grabbed both."

If we assume that the 1st round CBs also were graded higher on Panthers board, the Panthers then had Worley and Bradberry as their 10th and 11th CB in the draft, after Ramsey, Hargreaves, Apple, Alexander, Jackson III, Burns (propably), Howard, Davis and Jones

http://blackandbluereview.com/dave-gettleman-not-reach-fill-need-cornerback/

9 hours ago, Zaximus said:

Man these guys better be good, or else not keeping Norman for at least a year is going to look bad.  Also better see some extensions.

Meanwhile Washington may have a nasty pair with Norman and Fuller.

Actually a threesome, don't forget about Breeland. I hate to say it, but Gettleman needs some  Hurney in him. Just fuged up a draft over a few million dollars. I'm starting to think we should have gotten creative with Norman's contract to keep him. 

I trusted the move initially, now it looks like he's panicking. 

1 hour ago, johnnydefence said:

Really come on guys. G-man knows what he is doing. 

Tampa took a Kicker in the 2nd round, a kicker! and we are offended G-man didn't check with us before he alter his BPA strategy in the draft. 

No we're offended he essentially released our all pro corner, then proceeded to reach for two more when he had a good one under contract for a year at minimum. 

1 minute ago, AceBoogie said:

No we're offended he essentially released our all pro corner, then proceeded to reach for two more when he had a good one under contract for a year at minimum. 

With KK, Star, KB and Turner coming up. I understand his decision.

4 minutes ago, Growl said:

Norman playing under a tag for a year wouldn't have hurt our ability to do that in any capacity.

It actually would. We can roll over the remaining cap to next year. Money not spent on Norman, can be spent on players that they deem more worthy.

12 minutes ago, Blackmagic said:

With KK, Star, KB and Turner coming up. I understand his decision.

KB had a few more years, so does Turner. I believe Star has two more years, so the only immediate need is KK who we have money to sign even with a Josh Norman deal. You don't need to hold 30 million for a player you're going to sign 3 years from now. 

Norman was not under contract!  Stop spreading misinformation!  He didn't sign the damn tag and I'm sick of seeing this bullshit spewed in every thread complaining that Dave could have forced Norman to play here this season.  Enough with the crap, he's gone, get over it.

Secondly, all of you critizing these picks please give us your qualifications as a college scout. How many years have you been evaluating players for NFL teams?  If you're not a scout please spare us all your bitchfest.

Archived