• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gettleman says BPA philosophy changed this year.

Jeremy Igo

2 hours ago, Woodie said:

I think the fear with Fuller was the microfracture surgery.   After Gettleman made the reference last night about not being surprised Jack fell after he made the comment about possibly needing microfracture at some point, I knew Fuller wouldn't be a Panther. 

Players can come back from many different injuries/surgeries and be as good as before, but microfracture still has a stigma, and there is less certainty about a player's ability to come back from it.

That stigma is still there because it's still bad news.  Until they figure out how to regrow knee support its a bad thing to have crumbling joints. 

2 hours ago, Yardbird said:

Speaking of reach, found this bit of info that could give insight into Gman's eagerness to pull the trigger so early on these guys:

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/cfb/135132/james-bradberry

Since the Panthers drafted 2/3s of the long-armed, athletic CBs, perhaps we are the team referenced above? And perhaps our coaches and scouts believe that for our system, this length in combination with ball-skills, makes these guys much more valuable to us than they might be for some other teams (but not all other teams). For example, I noticed some Seahawk-specific scouting reports featuring Bradberry. They use a similar system to us. Even though the broader league may not prioritize these measurables, it's obvious Gettleman believed at least one other team would snatch these guys up if we didn't. Not saying I love or hate the picks. Time will tell. But thought this information helped explain why two relatively unheralded players were picked early and within just a few picks of one another.

The Seahawks are 100% the team that has the 32" armlength requirement - I've heard it mentioned several times by a few of their more prominent beat writers.

I think it's hard to sit here on the outside and say that we reached on these guys.  They were clearly very intrigued by Worley - with the DV red flag, if he was a middling talent they just would have just passed on him without doing the due diligence.  The fact that the scouts, Ron, Dave, and even JR looked into the kid's background - and the guy spoke to JR before the draft - means we must really like him.

Does that mean he is worth a third round pick?  I have no idea.  But I firmly believe they wouldn't have put all of that time in if they thought he was a 5-7th round talent.

2 hours ago, chknwing said:

Neither one of these CB's are Normans immediate replacement.  They are future projects. Drafting them does not fill a need at CB currently.  Its going to be difficult for both to make the 53 man roster. Kinda crazy to draft 2 players in the 2nd/3rd that may not make the roster and end up on the practice squad.

Uhh both are guaranteed to make the roster.

2 minutes ago, thomas96 said:

Uhh both are guaranteed to make the roster.

Pretty much. Bene, Boykin, McClain (assuming he looks as solid in camp as he did last year), and 2 rookies... doesn't seem too promising for Teddy Williams, Lou Young, etc.

1 minute ago, KSpan said:

Pretty much. Bene, Boykin, McClain (assuming he looks as solid in camp as he did last year), and 2 rookies... doesn't seem too promising for Teddy Williams, Lou Young, etc.

I don't think McClain is a lock. Teddy's got ST going for him but not a lock either. Young may have some troubles, could end up on the PS. Discussed this in the Peanut thread. We did carry 6 corners last year I think.

12 minutes ago, thomas96 said:

I don't think McClain is a lock. Teddy's got ST going for him but not a lock either. Young may have some troubles, could end up on the PS. Discussed this in the Peanut thread. We did carry 6 corners last year I think.

Don't necessarily disagree about McClain not being a lock, but he played reasonably well and Carolina only carried 5 (Norman, Bene/Finnegan, Tillman/Young, Williams, McClain) at a given time along with 4 safeties. The bottom of CB depth typically only sniffs ST anyway on this team since they don't/didn't run a dime package so it should be an interesting position to watch in camp.

To further the discussion on the two CBs:

The Seahawks have a 32" arm length requirement for their corners.  They also heavily utilize SPARQ in analyzing prospects to determine their relative athleticism to other NFL players at their positions.  The Seahawks, as I'm sure you've noticed, look for elite athleticism traits in scouting prospects.

https://3sigmaathlete.com/rankings/cb/

As the link above shows, Bradberry is the fifth most athletic CB in this draft.  In fact, he is more athletic than 92.6% of NFL Corners.  He and Jalen Ramsey are the only two CBs in the top five that have > 32" arms.  I think it's very safe to assume that the Seahawks had him on their radar.

Daryl Worley also has > 32" arms and is a slightly above-average NFL cornerback by SPARQ.  The SPARQ database I linked above actually contains his combine results - when his mother claimed he was sick.  He improved his 40 time from 4.6 to 4.48 at his pro day - so it's safe to assume he might actually be above the 55% among NFL CBs.  Another guy that was probably on Seattle's radar.

Further, both Bradberry and Worley seem to be great scheme fits - which is oftentimes much more important than drafting pure talent / athleticism.

Worth noting - everyone on this forum seemed to love the idea of Harlan Miller.  He has < 31" arms and is in the 4.7 percentile among NFL athletes.  I think that pick in the 3rd would have been cheered, because everyone here has heard his name.

Seattle fan and blogger Zach Whitman (who is involved with 3 sigma athlete, linked above) was less than thrilled with our picks:

Zach Whitman@zjwhitman 5h

5 hours ago

I'm very annoyed by the Panthers taking Bradberry.

Zach Whitman@zjwhitman 4h

4 hours ago

Daryl Worley another long corner for Carolina. 80" wingspan and just turned 21.

Frankly - it's become clear that the Panthers don't give a damn what any media outlets think about their draft or their board.  It's pretty clear to me that they do a ton of their own work (the GM is a scout by trade, after all) and they live and die by the board they assemble.

The Seahawks and Patriots are notorious for marching to the beat of their own drum during the draft.  It's worked out pretty well for them.  And we've been one of the best drafting teams in the league since DG took over.

4 hours ago, uscgamecocks said:

To further the discussion on the two CBs:

The Seahawks have a 32" arm length requirement for their corners.  They also heavily utilize SPARQ in analyzing prospects to determine their relative athleticism to other NFL players at their positions.  The Seahawks, as I'm sure you've noticed, look for elite athleticism traits in scouting prospects.

https://3sigmaathlete.com/rankings/cb/

As the link above shows, Bradberry is the fifth most athletic CB in this draft.  In fact, he is more athletic than 92.6% of NFL Corners.  He and Jalen Ramsey are the only two CBs in the top five that have > 32" arms.  I think it's very safe to assume that the Seahawks had him on their radar.

Daryl Worley also has > 32" arms and is a slightly above-average NFL cornerback by SPARQ.  The SPARQ database I linked above actually contains his combine results - when his mother claimed he was sick.  He improved his 40 time from 4.6 to 4.48 at his pro day - so it's safe to assume he might actually be above the 55% among NFL CBs.  Another guy that was probably on Seattle's radar.

Further, both Bradberry and Worley seem to be great scheme fits - which is oftentimes much more important than drafting pure talent / athleticism.

Worth noting - everyone on this forum seemed to love the idea of Harlan Miller.  He has < 31" arms and is in the 4.7 percentile among NFL athletes.  I think that pick in the 3rd would have been cheered, because everyone here has heard his name.

Seattle fan and blogger Zach Whitman (who is involved with 3 sigma athlete, linked above) was less than thrilled with our picks:

Zach Whitman@zjwhitman 5h

5 hours ago

I'm very annoyed by the Panthers taking Bradberry.

Zach Whitman@zjwhitman 4h

4 hours ago

Daryl Worley another long corner for Carolina. 80" wingspan and just turned 21.

Frankly - it's become clear that the Panthers don't give a damn what any media outlets think about their draft or their board.  It's pretty clear to me that they do a ton of their own work (the GM is a scout by trade, after all) and they live and die by the board they assemble.

The Seahawks and Patriots are notorious for marching to the beat of their own drum during the draft.  It's worked out pretty well for them.  And we've been one of the best drafting teams in the league since DG took over.

Probably the most thoughtful post of day two.  

90 percent of the Huddle has gotten a case of amnesia and forgotten that Gettleman is a scout by nature---and a successful one to boot.  This truth is evident,  regardless if he flipped the script  or not.  

Truth be told,  I can see how this striking change in tone has unnerved some people,  but from my perspective it shows that Getty is not as rigid as we may have believed.  He has the willingness to adapt to the situation---modify and shake things up a bit. This may be a good thing.  

Gettleman has proved to be a master architect of a championship caliber team. In that regard,  it's good to be in the same company as the Seahawks and Patriots.  Getty has a great feel for the anatomy of an NFL franchise.  He has the most complete vision of where he is leading us, and so far I don't think we can complain too much.  

Let's relax and watch the evolution of contender to champion. 

8 hours ago, blackcat said:

Atleast he didn't draft Armanti Edwards and Jimmy Clausen tonite.  

75% of the board thought Clausen was the greatest steal in our franchise history when it happened....

Archived