• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Select CB James Bradberry in the second round

Jeremy Igo

9 hours ago, chknwing said:

I trust the kid may be decent. but horrible value.  getty says he never reaches for need. thats a huge fuging reach right there. bradberry was not BPA by any means.

Agree w/ this. A horrible pick from any way you look at it. Especially since they traded up in the next round for a CB. 

Had Butler and Bradberry in this mock, but obviously Bradberry was later. Lucky guess?

Round 1 Pick 30: Vernon Butler, DT/DE, Louisiana Tech (B+)
Round 2 Pick 31: Karl Joseph, SS/FS, West Virginia (B+)
Round 3 Pick 30: Connor McGovern, OG, Missouri (B)
Round 4 Pick 31: Paul Perkins, RB, UCLA (A+)
Round 5 Pick 29: James Bradberry, CB, Samford (A)
Round 7 Pick 31: Tanner McEvoy, TE/WR, Wisconsin (A)

It was Mayock who said that when he got to the East West game, many of the scouts there said to him, "hey, have you seen this kid out of Samford?"

He said he has a lot of game and his deep coverage can be iffy, but, he said that Carolina shelters their Corners somewhat by the system they run.  He thought he would be great in our system.  Big guy that can make plays, should be great in the run game

23 minutes ago, section543 said:

Had Butler and Bradberry in this mock, but obviously Bradberry was later. Lucky guess?

I took Butler in some mocks and also Worley.  Don't think I ever took Bradberry.  Still pretty surprised we went for Bradberry in Round 2.  But Gettleman wanted to ensure he got a corner (or two) who fit their profile.  So be it.

8 hours ago, KB_fan said:

Just saw this:

DJ is one of the better analysts out there (as best I understand it), so... maybe this will help calm fears of a massive reach.

And one the few who has actually been paid by an NFL team to evaluate talent.

Everyone is screaming we should have picked, Fuller but isn't Fuller 5"11 185 lbs? Does his measurables even come close to what DG looks for in a outside corner? Also just because some of us don't like the pick because the draft sites say he is a UDFA or a late round prospect doesn't mean that the people that get paid to draft players look at them the same way. Just look at the last 4-5 years of drafts. Kiper and McShay or any of the other 500 draft sites had players with high 1st round grades and they turned out to have had lower impact than players drafted in the late 1st round or even 2nd or 3rd round. DG  (you know the guy who gets paid to draft players) said he had a 2nd round grade on Bradberry...hmm maybe we should lean more to siding with this guy instead of a dude or a female who sits behind their computer and just goes with a popularity list for there rankings!!!

I have to be honest, I think Bradberry is going to be a bust.  From what little highlights I could find, the word "impressed" doesn't come close to mind.  If you're going to take him in the second round, we should be able to see something from him more than just his physical size.  Some have already said before, this pick is a pure panic pick from losing Josh Norman, even though the Panthers swore up and down they wouldn't reach for a guy to fill a need. (Or at least many have sworn they wouldn't)

So there you have it.  Gettleman's worst mistake so far as a GM in letting Norman walk, just got a little bigger.  Now our third round pick in Worley looks leagues beyond Bradberry in terms of ball skills and tackling.  I'm not ecstatic that we traded up to get him, but at least he shows promise.  James Bradberry has Amini Silatolu written all over him.

We all know Gettlemen's record and his talent evaluating staff is among the best.  Most picks that he take, I get on board with.  Yet this Bradberry pick and everything surrounding it gives me great cause for pause.  There's no question with the guys we have on the D-line and in our LB corps will make any DB look good, but man, that doesn't give you the license to take any cat off the street and put him back there just because he's "big" and "long".  I think DG is being caught smelling himself a little bit here.  I hate to keep saying it, he messed up with the Norman situation, plain and simple.  Norman made our defense better last year and we need to give credit where credit is due.  Overall, we have a great team and letting Norman go will not break our season.

Archived