• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers select DT Vernon Butler

Jeremy Igo

I'm amazed at the negative reaction to this pick. Getting interior pass rush is, in my opinion, the most important defensive aspect in football. If you have a chance to get a player who can improve that, you do it. 

This pick will elevate the games of Kony Ealy, Mario Addison, and potentially cox and delaire. 

For as great as star is, he is not a pass rush threat on 3rd downs. Vernon and KK are going to wreck interior lines while Addison, CJ, and Ealy come off the edge. 

Star and KK are officially on notice.

That isn't how it works.  They have been great.  You put guys on notice that need to step it up.  They don't need to. 

Dave seems to be overly fixated on it IMO

Remember when we selected star and short in the same draft and people bitched

Remember when we selected Ealy after franchising Hardy and people bitched?

This is a little different. Then, at a minimum, we needed depth at those positions. You typically expect your second round picks to be depth. 

We don't need depth at DT. In fact, our DT talent and depth were already the best in the league. I don't see how this guy sees much playing time this year. The only way he sees any next year is if we let Short walk.

Only way this pays off immediately is if we suffer an unfortunate, serious injury to KK or Star and one misses significant time. Otherwise, looks like an athletic rotational player with upside. 

I'll feel better or worse about this pick after I see what we do tomorrow. 

This is a subpackage pick like Shaq was last year. I don't have strong feelings on it either way.

We were always in a weird spot at 30, its what happens tommorow that I'm interested in. Move up. Get Shepherd, Henry, Dodd. Don't care. Just add some of that talent and I don't really care what we did at 30.

I've not given a crap about the 1st this year.  Everything that excites me is in the 2nd.  Sounds weird... I know.

This definitely is a money move. KK and Short are great but we know we wont be able to sign both to a multi million dollar contract. Star has his moments where he gets injury prone. Butler will definitely give us 4 years under a rookie contract instead of giving Star a 4 years 30 mil contract. Now we can give KK a 4 to 6 year deal and bring Butler up. It will be a ferocious rotation for this year but next year Star will be gone if he doesn't step up big time.

Actually people didn't bitch about Star and Short. Our DTs were fuging horrible and included guys like Sione Fua and Andre Neblett.

Yes. Yes, they did.

People we're mad about drafting two DTs and no Online or We or whatever. Trust me, I remember.

Archived