• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers select DT Vernon Butler

Jeremy Igo

It seems to me that far too many people fail to see the obvious and basic difference between "rotational" and "depth". You need more than 2 DTs on a roster.

Also for some reason after seeing it work for three years the idea that you draft true BPA (for your system/schemes) and fill needs in FA seems to be hard to grasp.

8 hours ago, aussiePanther said:

Refer to the snap counts already posted in this thread, Short had too many, Soliai replaces Dwan. Plenty of snaps left for Butler as everyone gets rotated more than last year. Less late game defensive drop-offs as a result.

I think this is a good point.  Look at the snap counts again (I'm assuming these include post-season?  I forget):

Kawann Short — 897

Star Lotulelei — 633

Dwan Edwards — 447

Kyle Love — 343

KK played 19 games  (avg. 47 snaps per game)

Star played 17 games  (avg 37 snaps per game)

Dwan played 15 games  (avg 29.8 snaps per game)

Kyle played 18 games (avg 19 snaps per game)

There are usually about 65-70 defensive snaps per game, let's call it 70 for a nice round number.  Multiply by 2 DTs = 140 snaps to go around.  

So we could do something like KK 40 snaps / Butler 30 /   Star 30 /   Soliai / Love 20 each.   Quite a luxury.  Don't know if we'll have roster space to carry 5 DTs, but given that KK slides outside sometimes (I think?) it could work...  Gives us amazing depth.  

Sure, this is perhaps a luxury pick.  But I love that we're good enough that we can do that, that we're free to go BPA.

YES I want a good corner (or two).  YES I want a great offensive weapon (H Henry or Shepard.... or perhaps a RB like Derrick Henry), We probably should grab a safety.  Another pass rusher (DE) seems like it would help.  But I can't be mad at Gettleman being true to who he is and the vision of how he and Ron want to build this football team.  It's exciting.

Just now, aussiePanther said:

Same number as last year, Star, Short, Dean, Love, & Cole

IIRC We cut Cole about 1 month into the season - I think it was when CJ got hurt and we sent him to short-term IR and replaced him with Jared Allen AND Ryan Delaire..  So, if I'm correct, we started the season with 5 DTs / 4 DEs and then switched to 4 DTs / 5 DEs

Beginning of season:

DT:  KK, Star, Dwan Edwards, Kyle Love, Colin Cole

DE:  CJ, Ealy, Addison, Horton

Mid Season:

DT: KK, Star, Edwards, Love

DE:  Allen, Ealy, Addison, Horton, Delaire

Late Season

DT:  KK, Star, Edwards, Love

DE:  Allen, CJ, Ealy, Addison, Delaire  (Horton got waived, then brought back to PS)

Archived