• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers select DT Vernon Butler

Jeremy Igo

33 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

I get slammed for being hyperbolic and critical about moves and yet, people comparing Butler to Peppers is perfectly fine and unquestioned.  I could even understand a Jenkins comparison, but ya'll jump straight to one of the greatest athletes in NFL history because Gettleman made the pick?  Lol.

I'm not trying to compare him to Peppers in the physical metrics type sense but in the game changer aspect. I've watched this kid for the past 2 years in Conference USA (UNC Charlotte's conference) and there were times he drew triple teams (yes I know it is Conference USA) and still caused issues. You also have to realize he is still only 21 and wasn't playing football until his junior year of HS.  Any team that picked him was getting a beast but I'm glad he dropped to us.

On to round 2...

At first glance many won't like this pick.  However, take into account who was available, the fact the Panthers rotate their D-line in and out throughout games, and that Getts has hit home runs virtually every time at DT in the draft, and this makes a lot of sense.  Not to mention if Butler pans out he will be leverage in contract negotiations for Star and/or Short.

Wow, we select the #2 upside DT in the draft and people cry. 21 and just scratching the surface of his talents. Guy is a bigger kk.....

True we could have gone for 2nd round talent at 30 to fill holes, but we just got a guy that will be a disruptive force this year.

For all the too many DT guys, we now have sub package answers to anything an offense throws out there.

A great base in star and kk

A great heavy counter in silo and star

A great pads package in Butler and kk

We have a package to counter anything we see. Poor panthers.

There were a few guys I wanted more but they were all long gone. Unless we moved to 20 we didn't have a chance to go fill the CB or wr concerns.

I worry that Gettleman is feeling himself a little much. Between the old west style negotiation with Josh Norman (on a nearly insulting disparity between the player's open market worth and our offer) and the selection of a player that will be rotational at best next season does little to encourage me. If you're going to be suspiciously quiet in free agency, you have to fill those holes at the draft. Especially your 1st round pick who should be on the field from Day 1 unless he's a QB.

6 minutes ago, Vagrant said:

I worry that Gettleman is feeling himself a little much. Between the old west style negotiation with Josh Norman (on a nearly insulting disparity between the player's open market worth and our offer) and the selection of a player that will be rotational at best next season does little to encourage me. If you're going to be suspiciously quiet in free agency, you have to fill those holes at the draft. Especially your 1st round pick who should be on the field from Day 1 unless he's a QB.

We don't draft for need.

It's BPA, and it should be.

11 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

I haven't passed judgement on this player, i passed judgment on the pick and how it fits.  He may be a great player, but he doesn't make us better immediately.

People keep bringing up that we don't reach for need, and take the BPA, but won't acknowledge that Gettleman's BPA board weighs heavily towards lineman and defense.  I just feel like at a certain point, you can't keep picking guys to sit when you have positions that need an upgrade and/or competition much more urgently.  

As I've said, his drafts have worked to this point, but I think there is a threshold.  And how much of our success last year can really be attributed to that draft class last year.  They essentially were all developmental players.

He knows how to build a winning team, but this seems like we are reaching that sformentioned threshold where stacking strengths whioe ignoring weakness3s starts catching up with you...  but, we'll see.

So basically you're just going to keep predicting doom and gloom, and if it finally happens ten years down the road or so you can say "I was right all along"?

Seems like this could be a great pick for 3rd downs.  KK & Butler.  Be very afraid...! 

SWEET.

Understand why it's hard for some to love.   I was definitely shaking my head last year with the picks of Shaq & Mayo, so yeah, I get feeling like we're not addressing needs.

I had an idea this morning that I don't know whether it makes any sense.  DG and Ron have shown that they are sometimes ahead of the curve in how the game is trending...  Right now, everyone is focused on DEs, having watched Von Miller beat us in the SB.  Everyone wants a pass rush like Denver.  So... maybe O coordinators are going to be primarily game planning for pass rushes from the outside, but NOT so much against the pass rush from the inside?  Could DG & Ron be planning to exploit that obsession with edge rushers against opposing offenses to our benefit?

Just a crazy thought I had...

Archived