• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers select DT Vernon Butler

Jeremy Igo

21 minutes ago, bleedsgreenandgold said:

We just got a player that could start from day 1 and also has the possible upside of someone like Peppers....get out the pitchforks and torches. Rabble rabble rabble!!!!

uh peppers was a generational talent and a likely HOF'er, and was one of the highest recruited athletes in US history for basketball, football, and track and field. 

turner probably isn't that good.

19 minutes ago, bleedsgreenandgold said:

Read "could start"

Joe Webb could start 

all I know is the past 2 drafts we have drafted guys we have spent our picks on guys who are behind Thomas Davis and KK Short on the depth chart.

doesnt mean they aren't good players and we can't work them in.  Short term they simply should be limited in ability to impact things....no one should take issue with people merely pointing out and discussing DE.

3 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

uh peppers was a generational talent and a likely HOF'er, and was one of the highest recruited athletes in US history for basketball, football, and track and field. 

turner probably isn't that good.

Father played college basketball, mother was a track star, and Vernon had NBA dreams just didn't get the height. Not saying he will be Peppers but he has the freak athleticism and a 7 foot wingspan.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/sports/college/louisiana-tech/2016/04/27/chronicling-vernon-butlers-attempt-make-history-nfl-draft/83427822/

1 minute ago, bleedsgreenandgold said:

Father played college basketball, mother was a track star, and Vernon had NBA dreams just didn't get the height. Not saying he will be Peppers but he has the freak athleticism and a 7 foot wingspan.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/sports/college/louisiana-tech/2016/04/27/chronicling-vernon-butlers-attempt-make-history-nfl-draft/83427822/

sure whatever, but just realize who you're comparing him to. 

Peppers was the prospect that comes around every 10 years. 

11 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

sure whatever, but just realize who you're comparing him to. 

Peppers was the prospect that comes around every 10 years. 

We have a player that has better "freakish" athletic numbers than Peppers at the DE position already on our squad. Signed him during off season

35 minutes ago, bleedsgreenandgold said:

Yes everyone could start but you just didn't read my comment...and you've now chosen to be slightly outlandish.

Outlandish? You better put some respek on Joe Webb's name 

I have managed to sift through the cesspit that is this thread. 33 pages of bitching, moaning, defending, and arguing...

This is possibly the most positive 1st round selection thread I've ever seen on here behind the Starr one a few years back.

If there's one thing I've learned about DG, is that he knows a crap ton more than I do about football. If he says Butler is the guy, then Butler is the guy. I was going to be happy with the pick as long as it wasn't Derrick Henry.

1 hour ago, bleedsgreenandgold said:

Peppers was 6'7", 290 lbs., and in any given game, was pound for pound, the best athlete on the field.  IIRC, he ran something like a 4.6 40, and that was probably a slow day.

If you like the pick, be excited, but you're about the 3rd different person I've seen make a Peppers comparison, and there isn't one.  This dude is 3-4 inches shorter, 40 lbs heavier (not lean muscle mass), and runs a 5.3 40.  Lol.

I get slammed for being hyperbolic and critical about moves and yet, people comparing Butler to Peppers is perfectly fine and unquestioned.  I could even understand a Jenkins comparison, but ya'll jump straight to one of the greatest athletes in NFL history because Gettleman made the pick?  Lol.

Gettleman has built a winner, but that doesn't mean every move is a homerun and it doesn't mean you have to be Flavor Flav for every move he makes either.  Let the guy get to September and let's see what he has.  I'd be ecstatic with a Kris Jenkins reincarnation without all the off-field drama, but at this point, i'm thinking he'll be backing up Short for awhile.

Gettleman could of drafted a punter and people here would be applauding the move. Pretty much trying to convince themselves this was the right pick, even though if you check previous threads hardly anybody wanted him.

There were 3 positions we were set at QB, LB and DT. I was hoping we could address another position. 

19 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Peppers was 6'7", 290 lbs., and in any given game, was pound for pound, the best athlete on the field.  IIRC, he ran something like a 4.6 40, and that was probably a slow day.

If you like the pick, be excited, but you're about the 3rd different person I've seen make a Peppers comparison, and there isn't one.  This dude is 3-4 inches shorter, 40 lbs heavier (not lean muscle mass), and runs a 5.3 40.  Lol.

I get slammed for being hyperbolic and critical about moves and yet, people comparing Butler to Peppers is perfectly fine and unquestioned.  I could even understand a Jenkins comparison, but ya'll jump straight to one of the greatest athletes in NFL history because Gettleman made the pick?  Lol.

Gettleman has built a winner, but that doesn't mean every move is a homerun and it doesn't mean you have to be Flavor Flav for every move he makes either.  Let the guy get to September and let's see what he has.  I'd be ecstatic with a Kris Jenkins reincarnation without all the off-field drama, but at this point, i'm thinking he'll be backing up Short for awhile.

flavor-flav-nite-tales-clock-public-enem

Archived