• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers select DT Vernon Butler

Jeremy Igo

I don't doubt that Butler will be a good player for us. The only concern I have is that your first round picks are supposed to be starters. DG even stated 1st and 2nd rounds we usually pick starters. Yeah you can say we heavily rotate our DTs and he would keep KK and Star fresh, but you didn't need to spend a first round pick to get a solid DT in rotation. Especially when all of them were falling into the second round. This is why it concerns me that Star may not be with us much longer. He too was a first round pick, but if we feel he isn't adequate enough in the future we have Butler to step in. Or if we think Butler surpasses Star, we may no longer need him. That situation would make this pick make more sense for me. Olsen and CJ aren't getting any younger and outside CB is still weak. Would've liked to get a starter or eventual starter instead. But all just my opinion at the moment. 

Gettleman said they should contribute/make an impact from day one, not necessarily start. Enough people have commented on DL rotation so I won't repeat it, but Butler and Star appear to play different DT positions. Additoonally, Gettleman also said that Butler has potential at the DE position and could rotate there as well. I don't see how Butler's pick has anything to do with Star other than that they're both DTs.

I don't doubt that Butler will be a good player for us. The only concern I have is that your first round picks are supposed to be starters. DG even stated 1st and 2nd rounds we usually pick starters. Yeah you can say we heavily rotate our DTs and he would keep KK and Star fresh, but you didn't need to spend a first round pick to get a solid DT in rotation. Especially when all of them were falling into the second round. This is why it concerns me that Star may not be with us much longer. He too was a first round pick, but if we feel he isn't adequate enough in the future we have Butler to step in. Or if we think Butler surpasses Star, we may no longer need him. That situation would make this pick make more sense for me. Olsen and CJ aren't getting any younger and outside CB is still weak. Would've liked to get a starter or eventual starter instead. But all just my opinion at the moment. 

We're so good no rookie at any position anywhere on the draft board would be a sure fire starter.

I see all the 'we don't need no DT' folks are out in force, just like when KK got picked in the 2nd after Star. When are you people gonna start believing what DG says? BPA all the way. If you can't stand that drafting philosophy, go be a fan of a team that drafts for need. 

I am by no means knocking the pick because I think the kid is going to be a good player but it does make me worry that Gettleman doesn't think he can get either Short or Star to resign long term so he is hedging his bet now. 

Also is Butler more of a 3 tech like Short or is he more like Star? Size wise he seems like Star but based on his highlights he looks like Short, just wondering how he projects.

Is it standard fare on the Huddle to call someone an idiot if you have no real argument?

For some.  And it is a bit ironic.  An idiiot is someone who acts on his beliefs without fore or afterthought because he does not have the ability to consider a few common facts: 1. That he could be wrong.  2. That he could be misinformed (idiots believe that which is consistent with their emotions), and 3.  They lack the ability and.or willingness to see any other perspective.  in other words, they do not walk a mile in another's shoes, the golden rule is not applicable to them.  This has caused frustration for the idiot, so the idiot's opinions are usually laced with rage caused by a lifetime of disappointment and rejection unrelated to the topic they have chosen to engage. 

The idiot calls the person who does not agree with him an idiot for these reasons.  Of course, on the Huddle, there are not-so-rare occasions when 2 idiots face off.  It is like watching a pair of seals trying to knit a scarf.  They both fail because they are incapable of succeeding, but that does not impact their intensified levels of false bravado.  One will usually achieve "imbecile" status unknowingly, while his counterpart usually falls short ot that in defeat, slipping into the inferior categories of "moron" or "dolt". 

These are rather rare in general society, but finding them here is like spotting squirrels on a nature walk--very common.

Ron and Sean McDermott rotate the DL a lot and adding a talent such as Butler was a great addition. Butler is a disruptive guy up the middle. Yes he didn't have tons of sack production in his college career but with some refinement and the focus being on KK or Star as well as the DE's he will produce. Ron said he liked his slithering ability and compared Butler to KK in that aspect. DG's philosophy is to build with hogmollies...and he had a higher grade on Butler than any of the potential DE prospects and DG likes the DE's we have on the roster, so I am onboard with DG!!!!

On to the 2nd round DG!!!!!!!

47 minutes ago, ctrcat said:

We're so good no rookie at any position anywhere on the draft board would be a sure fire starter.

Exactly...If you reach for a player in the 1st you could find a starter...maybe a punter

3 minutes ago, bleedsgreenandgold said:

We just got a player that could start from day 1 and also has the possible upside of someone like Peppers....get out the pitchforks and torches. Rabble rabble rabble!!!!

Unless someone gets hurt he is depth like Shaq was...

start? You plan on them benching KK Short?

Archived