• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers select DT Vernon Butler

Jeremy Igo

Potentially one of the best players in the class.  Why all the fuss?  The guy is big enough to be a true nose, but athletic enough to line up multiple fronts.  And we nabbed him at 30.   He embarrasses olinemen tossing them around as he seeks the football to make plays up and down the line of scrimmage.  He's strong enough with enough reach to swallow blockers and collapse pockets.  He plays with a high motor, seems like a stand up dude and wants to play here.  If you know how we approach the draft and understand the philosophical construct of the team under DG how does this pick not make all the sense in the world?  Welcome aboard Big Vern!

Some of you need to watch this and realise that Getts is talking straight when he says what he says. He flat out answers some of the issues you have with this pick.

You still won't like the answers he gives, and that's totally fine, but at least you'll have the answers about "why":

http://prod.video.panthers.clubs.nfl.com//CAR/videos/dct/video_audio/2016/04-April/160429_Draft_Presser_Gettleman_Rivera-500k.mp4

You guys that are saying this means ANYTHING for Star or Short are being stupid. If Butler is another stud, we don't have to worry about paying him until 2021. We'll probably bounce Star out before the start of the 2021 season, but who gives a poo about the year 2021? Think of how old you'll be in March 2021 and you'll realize this is a non-issue. President Hillary Clinton will have just won re-election, Avatar 4 will still be in theaters, and you'll be 5 years older than you are right now.

It is called being proactive instead of reactive.

We are in a position to lose one if not both of our good DTs in the near future. See Josh Norman.  DG is not going to break the bank to keep one player.  While I hope dearly that we keep KK and Star this picks gives DG a back up plan in case we don't.  Those of you that remember McClain and Fua this should be a welcome pick.  I never want to go back to a DL line that.

Agreed we have some other needs but the draft isn't over and DG has shown he knows how to fill holes.

I love the BPA approach.  I admire that DG doesn't reach and sticks to it ALWAYS.  If there isn't player of need that fits that pick he'll take the player that fits that spot.

DTs

- KK played 69% of the defensive snaps

- Star played 48.45% of the defensive snaps

- Dwan played 34.09% of the defensive snaps

- Kyle Love played 29.82% of the defensive snaps

The Panthers opt to use their 1st round pick on a DT? They now need to cut Love or Soliai. If they do not cut either, then you have a rookie DT who rides the bench for most of the season.  This 1st round pick will see 6 to 12 plays a game - a non-factor.

No one wants to see KK or Star have less of an impact so a rookie can get playing time. I am guessing Love is done. If not the Panthers screwed up in free agency with Soliai or they screwed up in the draft with Butler.

5 DTs is overkill when you have a significant percentage of lost defensive snaps at DE, CB, and Safety.

DTs

- KK played 69% of the defensive snaps

- Star played 48.45% of the defensive snaps

- Dwan played 34.09% of the defensive snaps

- Kyle Love played 29.82% of the defensive snaps

The Panthers opt to use their 1st round pick on a DT? They now need to cut Love or Soliai. If they do not cut either, then you have a rookie DT who rides the bench for most of the season.  This 1st round pick will see 6 to 12 plays a game - a non-factor.

No one wants to see KK or Star have less of an impact so a rookie can get playing time. I am guessing Love is done. If not the Panthers screwed up in free agency with Soliai or they screwed up in the draft with Butler.

5 DTs is overkill when you have a significant percentage of lost defensive snaps at DE, CB, and Safety.

Refer to the snap counts already posted in this thread, Short had too many, Soliai replaces Dwan. Plenty of snaps left for Butler as everyone gets rotated more than last year. Less late game defensive drop-offs as a result.

This is starting to piss me off.

Gettleman does not trade down. He said that poo before he ever drafted his first player for us. He said he would rather hvae a dollar than 3 dimes.

Gettleman does not trade down. He takes the best player on the board. A bunch of mid-round guys would not make this roster.

And he did just that.

Funny, people are freaking out because they base their decisions on need.  I am telling you, we have the best DTs in the NFL now.  That will take attention away from the DEs--  There were only a few DTs in this draft who can do what Butler does.  Nice move.

Wonder if we have a trade up in store for the second round? 

Archived