• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers select DT Vernon Butler

Jeremy Igo

I don't think many people are upset with the talent we are getting with this pick. Butler is definitely a player, who could project to be a star. I think most people are upset with what this portends. It almost seems inevitable that - for this pick to have first round value - Gettleman will not sign Short to an extension. 

Here's the thing. With Butler being a 1st round pick, we have him guaranteed for 5 years if we choose to do so. He's also a late 1st pick so outside of year 5 his contract will be extremely cheap. 

Drafting him has no bearing on extending either Star or KK, as each would be entering the final years of their new contracts by the time Butler was due for an extension, at which point moving on from either wouldn't be a bad financial move.

For the next 5 years we have a three tackle pro bowl level rotation potentially, should we choose to do so.

I don't think many people are upset with the talent we are getting with this pick. Butler is definitely a player, who could project to be a star. I think most people are upset with what this portends. It almost seems inevitable that - for this pick to have first round value - Gettleman will not sign Short to an extension. 

As I said earlier in the thread, it absolutely does not.

As I said earlier in the thread.

If Butler is still just a rotational player in his 5th year in the league (as you are presuming), this was not a good draft pick. I think that goes without saying.

So, once again, either this pick is wasted or (more likely) Kawaan is suiting up elsewhere next year. I think it is delusional to pretend otherwise.

Completely Disagree

If Butler is still just a rotational player in his 5th year in the league (as you are presuming), this was not a good draft pick. I think that goes without saying.

So, once again, either this pick is wasted or (more likely) Kawaan is suiting up elsewhere next year. I think it is delusional to pretend otherwise.

All DTs are rotational players in our system. You're not making a valid point.

We apparently don't agree on terms. While we may rotate all of our D-linemen, Kawaan Short is not a "rotational player." Hell, he's a Pro Bowler. Starr played fewer snaps last year, but that was mostly because of injury. He is not a "rotational player." 

A "rotational player" is one that is rotated in place of your starters.

But if you want to nitpick over terms, let's put it this way: If Vernon Butler is our third best DT in five years, this was not a good pick. 

What's not to like? 

No one we picked would start this year. Chuck and Kony are the starters at DE. 

Drafting BPA doesn't put any player on notice. It keeps our team competitive long term.

Love the talent that we have throughout our rotation!!

While it's no notice for our starting DT's, it will give us flexibility should we not be able to get one signed long term.

Great pick. 

Gettleman goes BPA, and the huddle does a collective "WTF"

LOL

I'm not a big fan of this pick, because there was equal talent available at an area of need--DE.  I don't think our DE talent is that great that we could bypass Dodd or Ogbah.  This was a luxury pick at a time we are not strong enough at other positions to make a luxury pick.  We have given Cam average talent to play with.  Our OT are average as is our WR core and we are an injury to Olsen or Stewart from becoming an average offense.  We cant address these true issues now due to taking a luxury pick.  Gentleman let his ego get rid of Smitty and keeping Norman for one more season.  He spends too much time trying to show everyone that he is the smartest guy in the room and like the year before last, it bit him and us in the ass.  This one will too.

OK, so here's last years snap count for DTs from Bill Voth at BBR:

DEFENSIVE TACKLES

Kawann Short — 897

Star Lotulelei — 633

Dwan Edwards — 447

Kyle Love — 343

Colin Cole — 49

While Dwan's no longer here, Soliai is added to the mix, but I think we'll be looking to drop Short's snaps to keep him fresher and sharper for the ends of games, so there'll still be plenty of room there for Butler.

My thoughts exactly! Why waste a 5th year option on a backup? I would only assume Star is done after the 5th year option. I love how Gettleman manipulates the cap to his convenience but I think NT's are easier to find than players like KK.

Dodd or Ogbah learning for a year before CJ rides would've been preferable. There's a ton of DT's in this draft that all fell. There's an abundance that you could've gotten a good one staying put in the 2nd.

That being said Gettleman always proves me wrong.

P.s. Would love Shepard, both Henry's, but give me Dodd, Ogbah, or Fuller, Cravens in the 2nd stat.

BTW what are we doing with 5 DTs deep?!

My thoughts exactly! Why waste a 5th year option on a backup? I would only assume Star is done after the 5th year option. I love how Gettleman manipulates the cap to his convenience but I think NT's are easier to find than players like KK.

Dodd or Ogbah learning for a year before CJ rides would've been preferable. There's a ton of DT's in this draft that all fell. There's an abundance that you could've gotten a good one staying put in the 2nd.

That being said Gettleman always proves me wrong.

P.s. Would love Shepard, both Henry's, but give me Dodd, Ogbah, or Fuller, Cravens in the 2nd stat.

BTW what are we doing with 5 DTs deep?!

We'd have to trade up to get any of those guys. I wouldnt mind at all if we did.

GIMEE STERLING OR HUNTER HENRY GETTLEMAN.

DO IT.

Vonn Bell or Mackenzie Alexander would be awesome as well.

Archived