• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers select DT Vernon Butler

Jeremy Igo

I felt we could have got the same value in the 2nd, especially for a guy who will be rotated heavily. That's true shaq played good going into the playoffs, but it's like Luke's situation,he didn't shine until beason went down 

That's kind of the point right. If you consistently add the best players possible, when someone goes down you have players like Luke and Shaq that are waiting in the wings. When you reach for need you end up with Fua's and Armanti Edwards.

When Gman says he doesn't reach, he means it. I love his BPA philosophy. This guy bench pressed and tossed one of the guards during the senior bowl game. This kid is a beast. We got a top 20 talent at 30, I'm not going to argue that

If he had played at any school in the SEC or PAC-12, he wouldve gone top 15. Lucky us.

That's kind of the point right. If you consistently add the best players possible, when someone goes down you have players like Luke and Shaq that are waiting in the wings. When you reach for need you end up with Fua's and Armanti Edwards.

Bingo.

Drafting this way is what makes 'next man up' possible.

I don't get the concern over our secondary. We have Bene and Boykin at corner and Gettleman said tonight we'd be drafting a corner this weekend. Kurt Coleman and Tre Boston are a solid safety duo. Sure, we could use some depth and longer-term solutions, but for 2016 it's not like we're THAT bad off in the secondary.

I honestly think some folks here are underestimating how much better Bene' is likely to be now that he's moved full-time to being an outside corner. He was always miscast at nickel.

1) we did, but no one expected 1st AND 2nd rounds when we also needed OT, WR, etc.

2) disagree.

3) I'll go with Getts who said Butler was "the biggest impact on the board" and "we had 7 teams asking us to trade down, but the value was just too good, his impact is too big"

4) Our D-line rotation was lacking last year and meant we allowed teams to stick around in games. I saw the stats that Star saw <50% of snaps and Short ~65% plenty of room for a learning, growing DT who should become a future star.

1. not expected but no one was especially upset with the pick

2. you think shaq gets enough snaps??

3.time will tell but i'd prefer a more balance defense, 2013 d line was insane but our secondary was swiss cheese, good secondary play and dline play last year.

4. we allowed teams to come back because we took our foot off the gas,injuries in the secondary, DE disappeared 

This guy bench pressed and tossed one of the guards during the senior bowl game. This kid is a beast. We got a top 20 talent at 30, I'm not going to argue that

Thing about Butler is he is RAW, started playing football late and Mayock's quote after listing how good he's been was "...and he doesn't even know what he's doing yet".

So he's already shown he can come in and help our rotation as it is, but imagine what he's going to be like after 1-2 years in the system.

i'm not for reaching but dt seems like one of the stronger points on the team, it would have been the equivalent of drafting another lb 

A lot of people are focusing on what Butler will do for this D-line in terms of keeping it fresh.  Honestly one of the first things I thought about was Kuechly and our linebacker will be running free for days.  No opposing running back nor QB will be safe from our defensive core.

1. not expected but no one was especially upset with the pick

2. you think shaq gets enough snaps??

3.time will tell but i'd prefer a more balance defense, 2013 d line was insane but our secondary was swiss cheese, good secondary play and dline play last year.

4. we allowed teams to come back because we took our foot off the gas,injuries in the secondary, DE disappeared 

1. they were as upset then as the huddle is now. A couple of people making noise.

2. I can't believe you don't. Let's not forget the injury he suffered and the late start to his pre-season before that.

3. We had 66 sacks the year before last, 44 last year. (could be slightly different numbers) That makes a hell of a difference to the secondary.

4. What do you think leads to "tak[ing] our foot of the gas" and the "DE disappear[ing]", if the OGs don't have to double team the interior guys they can help on the outside guys.

1. they were as upset then as the huddle is now. A couple of people making noise.

2. I can't believe you don't. Let's not forget the injury he suffered and the late start to his pre-season before that.

3. We had 66 sacks the year before last, 44 last year. (could be slightly different numbers) That makes a hell of a difference to the secondary.

4. What do you think leads to "tak[ing] our foot of the gas" and the "DE disappear[ing]", if the OGs don't have to double team the interior guys they can help on the outside guys.

2. from my knowledge we run out the nickel quite a bit,so having 3 dominant lb's isn't a must since luke and TD play majority the nickel snaps. that's where i think most of shaq snaps go.

3.I hope so, i think pass rush and secondary play almost go hand in hand,and both help each other out

4. that's always been a ron rivera trait, our de's were the ones who couldn't keep the pressure coming and beat one v one, Dt play was the most consistent on the line. 

Archived