• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers select DT Vernon Butler

Jeremy Igo

I wonder if there is any consideration in switching to a 3-4 so we can actually get all these guys on the field? Didn't Rivera run one in SD?

Don't love it, but I don't hate it. We needed a 3 tech and we got a good one. My concern with him is the same as it was with Shaq last year. How do we get this guy enough snaps. Re-sign Kawann and this guy probably never starts and never gets more than 40% of the snaps for his entire rookie contract without injuries.

I doubt they switch exclusively to a 3-4, but DG calling him a DE makes me think we could be going NE-style hybrid.  He may have short-area explosiveness, but he's not very fast, at all.  He's strong and has a space eating body with long arms, and that is a perfect build for a 4-3 DT and a 3-4 end.

Last year's picks had literally almost nothing to do with our season. They were the very antithesis of impactful picks. Shaq had a couple plays over the course of the season but did very little overall. Funchess had a few decent catches late in the season but an overall net impact of zero at best considering all the terrible plays and drops.  Williams didn't play. CAP had a pretty bad start to his career. Nice preseason but that was it.  

I haven't given up hope in Shaq, I saw the potential to maybe become a good football player eventually but he isn't one yet.  Funchess, I just hope he turns into a serviceable rotational/big package player.  Williams is the only pick I really liked at the time, and I really hope he can take that RT spot.  CAP I sorta liked at the time, had other RB preferences but saw potential, and after seeing his first year I'm just hoping he turns into a serviceable RB2.

Good teams don't necessarily have to have immediate impact out of rookies.

We spent years needing rookies to contribute immediately because our teams weren't that great. Now that we're fielding a contending team, we can draft BPA and if they help out as rookies, gravy.

But even with that said, this pick can indeed help strengthen our DL rotation.

I do get the feeling that we may have promised him we'd take him if he was there though.  Anyone else see him dab walking out on stage and also he dabbed in his pre-draft video shoots that they showed going out to the commercial break...  or he was a fan of the team regardless of where he thought he was going.

I do get the feeling that we may have promised him we'd take him if he was there though.  Anyone else see him dab walking out on stage and also he dabbed in his pre-draft video shoots that they showed going out to the commercial break...  or he was a fan of the team regardless of where he thought he was going.

A LOT of people dab. very very rarely about Carolina Panthers.

He has said though that he was rooting for the Panthers in the SB because he's a fan of Cam.

I'm telling u DG is doing this to take KKs/Star play down a notch so that he can get them signed to a better deal. tell them their play fell off in 2016. yadda yadda. Dave knows how to play the game.  Reduced snaps = reduced stats. KK/Star cant exactly command a huge contract if they dont have the stats to back it up.

I'm not even remotely worried about wr. Getting KB back is almost like a 1st round in of itself, and funchess with another year of experience. Look out.

Yeah, KB will make a huge difference, but we still could use some speed and reliable hands there outside of him.  Funchess still has a lot to prove.  Regardless, OL, IMO, namely tackle, was most important.  I'm not saying WR was bad enough that it needed to be addressed in the first, just that it was one of the bigger contributing factors to the loss.

Archived