• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers select DT Vernon Butler

Jeremy Igo

Times Butler will be in the game:

5 D-line subpackages

Goal line 

Obvious passing downs

Fourth quarter

He will see a lot of snaps and is already the fourth best defensive tackle in the division, this is a fantastic pick. How often do you get a legitimately elite player at 30?

#GettleGod

We already have 4 strong DTs and they like to move CJ inside on passing downs as well.

If you want to talk about him being the top talent available fine but don't pretend like he's going to make some huge impact. Barring injury he's barely going to see the field, just like Shaq this previous season.

"But we had other needs" people haven't been paying attention the last 4 years. Feel free to catch up to the rest of us anytime. 

If this guy was truly at the top of their list at the time of the panthers selection....bpa....I can't fault DG for picking him. He knows more than we do. I'll admit I'm not thrilled with the pick though. 

Not impressed. There were better players available both as BPA and need, but hopefully Butler pans out and becomes a solid contributor for us. This is the first time in a long time that my reaction hasn't been really positive to our pick. 

My first choices in 2010, 2011 and 2012 were Clausen, Cam and Luke and we picked Clausen, Cam and Luke. I wanted Eifert in 2013 but was happy with Star. Was happy with KB in 2014 and Shaq last year. This one I'm not excited about, but he could be a strong player who is tough to block and gives the ends some room to wreak havoc.

I was last really pissed at our pick in 2005 when we got some tweener named Thomas Davis, so clearly I've not always been 100% right if the Clausen desire didn't already make that apparent.

You build a defense around the front 4. It's been that way for the entire NFL's lifespan. Butler has versatility, size and motor to be a superstar. He also has a very high ceiling like Ealy and Shaq did coming out of the draft. There is 1st round talent in the 2nd round for our needs. In DG I trust

Here's the thing. With Butler being a 1st round pick, we have him guaranteed for 5 years if we choose to do so. He's also a late 1st pick so outside of year 5 his contract will be extremely cheap. 

Drafting him has no bearing on extending either Star or KK, as each would be entering the final years of their new contracts by the time Butler was due for an extension, at which point moving on from either wouldn't be a bad financial move.

For the next 5 years we have a three tackle pro bowl level rotation potentially, should we choose to do so.

Archived