• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers select DT Vernon Butler

Jeremy Igo

They extended Star by activating his 5th year on his rookie contract. Star is a Panther for 2 years. Tha is an eternity in the NFL.

They can pull it anytime, though.  So, If Star has any further foot problems, or if it just looks like he's going to demand too much to re-sign, then they can pull the option after the season and go into 2017 with KK and Butler as the starters.

That's the only reason I can think of why they took a DT when the starters play about 60-70% of the defensive snaps.  Even in a rotation, he's not going to get enough snaps to justify the early pick as long as both KK and Star are here.

After looking at his videos at Draftbreakdown, I'm not too impressed with what I saw from him, but I will trust Gettleman to know better than me (obviously).  So, I'll withhold judgement on Butler until I see how he performs on the field and how solid coaching may fix some of the issues I saw.

Right now, my main issue is that we have 3 guys that should be starters at DT (you always want your #1 to eventually start), and none of them are ideal DE's in a 4-3.  Maybe situationally, but not as base DE starters.  Of course, if they have plans to switch to a 3-4, then all bets are off.  But I seriously doubt that is the plan.  So, how will we get good value out of all three of them...unless one will soon be out of the picture.

I love this pick for no other reason than to watch the self proclaimed GM's on here lose their minds.  

Gettleman farts more football knowledge than any 10 huddled on here have combined...I will trust him on this one.

lol no doubt he does 100 percent has my trust but everyone has opinions

Please also realize how highly graded Butler is, last year he would have gone in the top 15, it does not mean anything about Star or Short's contacts, we have 5 dline sub packages, and he will rotate quite often. This is one elite interior rush group.

Archived