• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Josh Norman agrees to terms with Redskins...

Jeremy Igo

First of all, good for Josh. These guys play a dangerous yet immensely popular sport for our entertainment, so I will always advocate for them to get their market value. But dammit, what a failure for us. We had his rights for at least one more season. One more run where he could help us out with a Super Bowl! Even if you don't want to sign him for what he wants, he can't escape the tag. He was gonna play for us again regardless. 

15 minutes ago, CRA said:

You willing to take a paycut tomorrow so your employer can bring in someone else to help them be even better? 

Can't really hate on him.  In all honesty when he bet on himself and didn't sign a year ago.....he gave us All Pro play at a heavily discounted price last year.

True I understand why he did it, wont change my feelings though.

Honestly I think the Panthers did Josh a favor so he could get this deal. Josh is set with his one big cash in which he deserved. Wish him the best, but not never against us! Also I am hoping that he doesn't start coming out and trashing our FO like some bitter ex players. We did him a solid and honestly we are most likely going to get a 3rd out of it next year. Not ideal but avoids drama,hold out possibilities, gives the player what he wants and we get an extra pick hopefully. 

19 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This.  Except for the last part.  He has 2, maybe 3 years of elite play left in him - if he proves to be elite outside of our D.  After that, the Skins get to way overpay for an aging and declining player or they get to eat a ton of dead cap space by releasing him.  This deal is really gonna hurt for them in 2-3 years.

You can't guarantee that he only has 2-3 years left. He came into the league at 24 and has only been a full time starter for 2 years.The wear and tear on his body would be more similar to a player who's 2-3 years younger. Additionally, it's not like he relies on elite speed or any other attribute thats likely to take a rapid decline due to his age. No real injury history to worry you. 

Also people, clamoring that he was a product of our system or that he won't do as well in another teams defense, is something only time will tell. I'd be willing to say his skills helped our pass rush as much or more as the pass rush helped him.

I really wanted to keep Josh, but you have to draw a line in the sand once his demands reached a certain point. I don't know what my personal cut off would have been, but 15 million/year is certainly not a number I think we should have entertained. 

Another under appreciated fact heres is  the most important part of the contract  is the initial 3 year payout (the money the player is most likely to see all of). Norman just blew right past every top corner in the league, including Sherman, Peterson, and Revis who all recently signed long term deals. 

It will be very tough for him to live up to the deal, but as we saw with other positions this year, very good to elite players are getting insane money now and have no problem finding multiple suitors to pay their asking price or at least get close. Its all relative, but I will miss him for sure.

1 minute ago, usmcpanthers said:

Josh vary easily could of played under the tag and had more leverage for a deal like this next year. Oh well f him, he isnt a panther anymore.

How would risking yourself for injury and becoming a year older going to increase your leverage? I don't think you understand how this works, or your probably like many others on here and just over reacting because we are losing a great player.

2 minutes ago, Bartin said:

#1 by every metric. Total money, yearly money, first 3 years and total guaranteed

I'd be willing to bet after week 3....Norman will be hating life.  At least the media talk. 

Brown, OBJ and Dez.  With that type contract...one torching will have the world on his case

Archived