• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Here's why it will be hard for Norman to come back...

Hotsauce

4 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I guess in an indirect way it is about money, but the money is just a means to an end. I will explain. 

I have had multiple long conversations with Josh. I have had conversations specifically about this very topic. He never brought up money. He didn't really care. 

What he did constantly bring up is other players. So and so makes the most. This guy makes the second most. I am better than them, I need to be higher on that list. Josh is probably the most competitive guy I have ever met, and i have met a ton of players over the years. 

He isn't leaving because there is a couple more million in Washington a year for his wallet. He is leaving because that couple million a year will bump him up on the list of highest paid corners. It is a status and respect thing, not a money thing. 

If he truly believes in this mantra, I feel like he is misunderstanding money vs. respect...

Even without my Homer goggles, Luke is easily the best LB in the league. I think he's like 4th or 5th highest paid. Cam was league MVP and is arguably the best QB in the league. I think he's like 7-8th highest paid QB. I think Kalil and Olsen are easily top 3 at their positions, yet I think they are paid in the 7-8th range.

I understand having a high respect for yourself, and a high self-worth. But I don't understand how you can't accept to be a top 3 highest paid player at your position and see that as a sign of success and respect from your team and your peers. I'm not buying this.

The tag alone would have had him tied at 4th in salary for CBs, and a mere $48,000 behind Richard Sherman at 3rd. And it would have been all guaranteed money. We were already telling him he was worth, at least to us, 4th best CB in the league.

Now, I haven't read the numbers nor do I know if anyone has the real ones, but if we offered him a longer deal at 10-13M a year, that would keep him in the range of 7th highest CB. I can see how he sees that as a slight. However, if he would just look at the big picture, you're paid almost as much than the highest paid middle linebacker (who is on your team) who is basically the QB of the defense. Also, you'd be paid as such on a competitive team that you know, a system that you know, and in basically your hometown area.

Nobody in life thinks they are paid what they are worth. Nobody in life thinks they are respected with the amount they think they deserve. You're supposed to rise above this, and line your actions up where your drive is indicating they should be. Don't quit on something because you face some kind of perceived slight or adversity.

Basically, to me, this is Josh quitting on us. I know it isn't 100% his fault, but ultimately the blame is on him.

I love him to death, and I want him to be a Panther, but this is the first time in our history that I would be the most okay with letting a superstar walk because he is clearly choosing himself and his own ego over the best choices laid out in front of him.

3 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I guess in an indirect way it is about money, but the money is just a means to an end. I will explain. 

I have had multiple long conversations with Josh. I have had conversations specifically about this very topic. He never brought up money. He didn't really care. 

What he did constantly bring up is other players. So and so makes the most. This guy makes the second most. I am better than them, I need to be higher on that list. Josh is probably the most competitive guy I have ever met, and i have met a ton of players over the years. 

He isn't leaving because there is a couple more million in Washington a year for his wallet. He is leaving because that couple million a year will bump him up on the list of highest paid corners. It is a status and respect thing, not a money thing. 

So, it IS about the money.  He wants to be the highest paid corner.  Sorry Jeremy....that IS about the money.

2 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Don't mind Madhatter, he was just trying to hurt me. If he was someone that mattered it may have worked. 

The truth is I am a sideline photographer because I choose to be. I really enjoy it. I could pay someone to do it and sit in the press box with a bunch of reporter types but that doesn't sound as appealing to me. I have the same access as the media, locker room, pressers, practices, etc. I just prefer to be on the field on game days taking photos. 

Don't flatter yourself that I am trying to "hurt you"....I would have to care about your opinion to care about hurting you. 

That being said.....

I know that you have access to players and have information that others on here (including myself) don't.  But, many of your absolutes (like telling us we will draft one of 4 specific players) is just your opinion.  Because I am betting that DG would NEVER talk you nor any other reporter about the order of his draft board and certainly would not discuss how negotiations would be going.  Yes, you had Norman's comments on this....but that is one side of the story.  How he was during the negotiations (demeanor, comments, etc)....that is something that I am betting you have no knowledge of.

Just now, Jeremy Igo said:

I like the fact that the guy that turned his back to the team for hundreds has issue with the guy doing it for millions.

COMBO!

as an aside, and I doubt you can even comment on this, but in your opinion...

Do you think there is any chance at all that Norman indeed comes back early next week after fielding offers elsewhere?

17 hours ago, Hotsauce said:

Sure we don't have the direct connection like you do. But I am calling it like I see it from my view. 

Maybe his original agent is all about the money?  Hell I don't know, all I do know is he ain't getting the last deal he was offered by Getts if he were to start renegotiating with Carolina. 

I have to agree with you on this.  In my opinion, Josh shot himself in the foot.

8 minutes ago, Bronn said:

COMBO!

as an aside, and I doubt you can even comment on this, but in your opinion...

Do you think there is any chance at all that Norman indeed comes back early next week after fielding offers elsewhere?

I like to think so, I know Josh really does love it here. I just don't know just how badly his agent screwed the pooch. Something happened there, and no one knows what.

Just now, Jeremy Igo said:

I like to think so, I know Josh really does love it here. I just don't know just how badly his agent screwed the pooch. Something happened there, and no one knows what.

If there still exists a line of communication between you, and I know he is terribly busy now and getting it from all angles, please tell him we want him here when we get that ring.

17 hours ago, RoaringRiot said:

I'm not really buying that. I don't think GMan is an asshole. I think he offered what he thinks Josh is worth. I can't imagine if they were to pick up the negotiations again he would all of a sudden just offer him less because of what's happened. Obviously just speculation but GMan seems like he's a business and of Josh is worth X to him then that's the offer 

If Josh came back would he spoil the locker room?  I can see him being brought back for less money with a possible rider for his locker room appearance.  Gettleman is a business man. 

Archived