• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Here's why it will be hard for Norman to come back...

Hotsauce

12 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

People that say this clearly don't understand Josh. 

I have thought about this over the last couple of hours. 

If Josh isn't all about the money then why:

A) Would he reportedly hold out for a season?

B) (speculating here) Would he sign with a team like the Redskins or 49ers, both who are in total shambles for a measly 1-2 million more than what the NFC Champion, 15-1 Panthers would offer him?

And finally, to take a quote from Gettleman himself, he wants players who are "all-in". Clearly Gettleman considers Josh not all-in because of why???? 

Money.

Josh is all about the money.

Im not blaming a guy who wants to make as much money as possible, and I get to some extent you have to be biased because Josh showed you on/off the field respect, but cmon Jeremy, you look at the public facts and it's pretty clear...

3 hours ago, Hotsauce said:

I have thought about this over the last couple of hours. 

If Josh isn't all about the money then why:

A) Would he reportedly hold out for a season?

B) (speculating here) Would he sign with a team like the Redskins or 49ers, both who are in total shambles for a measly 1-2 million more than what the NFC Champion, 15-1 Panthers would offer him?

And finally, to take a quote from Gettleman himself, he wants players who are "all-in". Clearly Gettleman considers Josh not all-in because of why???? 

Money.

Josh is all about the money.

Im not blaming a guy who wants to make as much money as possible, and I get to some extent you have to be biased because Josh showed you on/off the field respect, but cmon Jeremy, you look at the public facts and it's pretty clear...

I guess in an indirect way it is about money, but the money is just a means to an end. I will explain. 

I have had multiple long conversations with Josh. I have had conversations specifically about this very topic. He never brought up money. He didn't really care. 

What he did constantly bring up is other players. So and so makes the most. This guy makes the second most. I am better than them, I need to be higher on that list. Josh is probably the most competitive guy I have ever met, and i have met a ton of players over the years. 

He isn't leaving because there is a couple more million in Washington a year for his wallet. He is leaving because that couple million a year will bump him up on the list of highest paid corners. It is a status and respect thing, not a money thing. 

11 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I guess in an indirect way it is about money, but the money is just a means to an end. I will explain. 

I have had multiple long conversations with Josh. I have had conversations specifically about this very topic. He never brought up money. He didn't really care. 

What he did constantly bring up is other players. So and so makes the most. This guy makes the second most. I am better than them, I need to be higher on that list. Josh is probably the most competitive guy I have ever met, and i have met a ton of players over the years. 

He isn't leaving because there is a couple more million in Washington a year for his wallet. He is leaving because that couple million a year will bump him up on the list of highest paid corners. It is a status and respect thing, not a money thing. 

To me, this is like comparing oranges to tangerines...both of these motivations place value on the individual over the team.

11 hours ago, MadHatter said:

No thanks...don't really need the opinion of a sideline photographer on this.  Maybe the rest of the guys here will believe that DG actually talks to you about who we are going to draft and debrief you on contact negotiations.  I personally don't.

What you have is an opinion....and I guess you think that you are the only one allowed to be insulting and condescending on here.

Yeah, lets just disregard the info from one of the few on here who has actually spoke to Norman because he is a sideline photographer and disagrees with madhatter..........

13 hours ago, RoaringRiot said:

I'm not really buying that. I don't think GMan is an asshole. I think he offered what he thinks Josh is worth. I can't imagine if they were to pick up the negotiations again he would all of a sudden just offer him less because of what's happened. Obviously just speculation but GMan seems like he's a business and of Josh is worth X to him then that's the offer

I think you are right. Gettleman's whole m.o. is eliminating emotion from the decisions and making rational, value-based decisions. If his previous offer was X and he thinks Josh is worth X, then doing that deal makes since for the panthers... offering anything less than that is basically a slap in the face and jeopardizes the deal unnecessarily.

3 hours ago, Cj72 said:

Yeah, lets just disregard the info from one of the few on here who has actually spoke to Norman because he is a sideline photographer and disagrees with madhatter..........

Don't mind Madhatter, he was just trying to hurt me. If he was someone that mattered it may have worked. 

The truth is I am a sideline photographer because I choose to be. I really enjoy it. I could pay someone to do it and sit in the press box with a bunch of reporter types but that doesn't sound as appealing to me. I have the same access as the media, locker room, pressers, practices, etc. I just prefer to be on the field on game days taking photos. 

18 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I once heard a well known theologian state that he noticed when pastors said they "felt called" to a different church, it tended to be a bigger church with a higher salary.

Likewise, how many times have we heard former players, analysts, front office people and etc repeat the axiom "When they tell you it's not about the money, it's about the money"

We hear it from athletes all the time. "It's about respect" they say, but when you ask how a team "respects" them, it inevitably comes down to their salary. Doesn't really matter how you frame it. Call it respect, pride, fairness or whatever else you want; it still ends the same way.

Honestly, I think a lot of the ones who put it on some other terms probably just don't want to come off as the bad guy, and in their minds they're not being greedy, but ultimately they're still choosing to play for the highest bidder.

Which is fine. Just don't think you're convincing the fans that it's something more noble.

I've seen this happen plenty and I know it's the nature of the game, so it doesn't bother me and I don't blame the athletes, but I also don't have any illusions.

Best wishes to Norman. He was great here and I loved having him on the team, but in the end it's still a business on both sides of the table.

40 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Don't mind Madhatter, he was just trying to hurt me. If he was someone that mattered it may have worked. 

The truth is I am a sideline photographer because I choose to be. I really enjoy it. I could pay someone to do it and sit in the press box with a bunch of reporter types but that doesn't sound as appealing to me. I have the same access as the media, locker room, pressers, practices, etc. I just prefer to be on the field on game days taking photos. 

Oh I know and I'm freaking jealous of your picture taking ads every season. Haha

Archived