• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Eric Berry or Mo Wilkerson?

ctrcat

On 4/21/2016 at 1:18 AM, TheRed said:

Why would a player sign the tag before even the draft? They lose all leverage.

It's easy to say "just sign the damn thing" as a fan, but if the shoe is on the other foot, you cheap f*cks aren't signing either.

I would sign the minute it was put on the table in front of me....unless I absolutely didn't want to play there, something that I haven't heard from Berry or Mo.

I've actually be wondering what our plan is with all of this money we have. Isn't our cap space like $30M or something crazy like that? I understand we have some large contracts coming up but I see no reason why we shouldn't use SOME of that money to go get a difference-maker. I understand Gettleman's philosophy that we are never one player away but I can't imagine what our defense would be like if we got a game-changing safety like Berry on a 2-3 year contract. Top of the line safeties don't usually break the bank like other positions if i recall. We would still have $20M left over for our DTs with some contracts coming off the books over the next few years.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Pretty much.

Our prior leaders were willing to part with first round picks. Our current one... not so much.

Gman is very much so like Mr Pollian, I thought he was a idiot back in those days the way he didn't budge with Kevin Greene and some others. He was right I was the idiot. The GM has to have control of the Franchise not the players and fans. 

7 hours ago, CWORS said:

I could see us taking a shot a Berry to man the SS position for us at a rate of 10-12 per. Not sure if Berry would be open to signing such a deal but that was what we were offering JNO. Giving up a 1st would be the hardest part in my eyes that DG would have with the deal. Maybe a 3rd and AJ Klein(contract year). But a big no to Wilkerson, we just drafted a DT.

Even a 1st is too much based on the bang for buck of the rookie pay scale.  But 2 second day picks would be worth it and a nice compromise for a guy of Berry's coverage/tackling/leadership/toughness combo.  He can't ask for more than $10-12 mil per based on the lack of premium at the position.  But based on the crazy money they've already invested in the future already http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/cap/2018/ it may make business (although not emotional) sense for them.  That doesn't even include Poe, Peters, or Fisher who they gave a $11+ million 5th year option to.

I don't think we have a player we would let go without getting far more than they're realistically worth.

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 8:58 AM, TrianglePanther said:

If you think this is a possibility, you still don't understand how Gettleman operates. 

To quote the future hall of famer Kevin Garnett..."Anything is possible"

But seriously you never know until the situation presents itself. Berry would be a huge upgrade on the back end of the secondary. DG's philosophy does and has changed...letting go of homegrown talent, i.e. JNO; sticking with the BPA approach in the draft...Picking Bradberry though I like his potential I think DG passed on players that would have fit the BPA mold over picking Bradberry...Shon Coleman or Austin Cooper in my eyes would have been BPA.

4 hours ago, CWORS said:

To quote the future hall of famer Kevin Garnett..."Anything is possible"

But seriously you never know until the situation presents itself. Berry would be a huge upgrade on the back end of the secondary. DG's philosophy does and has changed...letting go of homegrown talent, i.e. JNO; sticking with the BPA approach in the draft...Picking Bradberry though I like his potential I think DG passed on players that would have fit the BPA mold over picking Bradberry...Shon Coleman or Austin Cooper in my eyes would have been BPA.

Agree.  Steve Smith is and has been a Baltimore Raven.  Not impossible at all that Eric Berry could be a Carolina Panther.  The impasse between he and the Chiefs may just be standard operating procedure, but a few simple clicks and common sense show the team is between a rock and a hard place, and the player would have tremendous tangible and intangible value here.

• 5 weeks later...

It's been a month and this thread is getting a courtesy bump for multiple reasons.  

1) Berry did not report for mini-camp

2) Kalil and Oher were extended, Funch looks like an animal, Hill is showing promise, and, by any logical estimation, safety and defensive end are now shaping up to be (maybe the only) CLEAR needs for the 2017 offseason

3) Harrison Smith was extended, creating a baseline.  5 years 51+ million, $28+ guaranteed.

4) the Chiefs cap situation still looks dreadful both short and long term

Two first rounders and 5 years $55 million (?) is likely too steep for obvious reasons, but Berry's Keep Pounding past, age (27), status as the best all around safety in the game (IMO), the continued likelihood of us picking 32 in the next 2 drafts, and the current state of both rosters and cap situations give this thread the June 17 FYI bump.  FYI, he's even a Georgia native like so many of our other leaders and UT Vol.

On May 17, 2016 at 2:11 PM, ctrcat said:

Even a 1st is too much based on the bang for buck of the rookie pay scale.  But 2 second day picks would be worth it and a nice compromise for a guy of Berry's coverage/tackling/leadership/toughness combo.  He can't ask for more than $10-12 mil per based on the lack of premium at the position.  But based on the crazy money they've already invested in the future already http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/cap/2018/ it may make business (although not emotional) sense for them.  That doesn't even include Poe, Peters, or Fisher who they gave a $11+ million 5th year option to.

I don't think we have a player we would let go without getting far more than they're realistically worth.

We were not willing to pay a top shutdown corner $15m a year....so there is no way we are paying $12m for a safety.

4 minutes ago, MadHatter said:

We were not willing to pay a top shutdown corner $15m a year....so there is no way we are paying $12m for a safety.

We are clearly willing to roll the dice with rookies at corner, but are we willing to roll the dice with a rookie at safety?  Berry is younger and I'd take him over JNo straight up due to versatility, more proven over more years, and all around play/toughness alone.  At a minimum it's a draw even with positional value being considered, and we were willing to go $11 million APY with JNo.

1 minute ago, davos said:

All that needs to be said:

Eric Berry is an awesome talent, great story, ain't coming here, this stuff is very rare.  Rawr? 

Probably not, but it's currently at the top of this board because the other sports options currently include baseball, soccer, and watching paint dry.  This thread, especially the posts today, provide multiple reasons why it's feasible and intriguing.

Archived