• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Narcissism fueling Cam Newton hate....

Jeremy Igo

13 minutes ago, Cookie Lyon said:

Ya'll can get mad all ya'll want to, but part of the hate Cam receives IS because he's black. Like I said in the other thread on this matter, I don't know how Mark Schelereth thinks he paved the way for Cam to become a QB in the NFL. It's ridiculous for him to even make that suggestion. 

And please don't try to use Russell Wilson as a comparison as to why it's not partly about race. The same closet racists that hate Cam only "accept" Russell Wilson because he's not as openly confident as Cam. 

To add to this its also the position he plays.  If he played tight end or linebacker no one would give a poo.

Everyone, and I mean everyone, is obsessed with Cam - they can't get enough of him. They have found "reasons" to hate him his entire career. As terrible as some of the reasons have been, they have always used them to put a "but" in front of Cam's accomplishments. Now that he's the face of the NFL, the MVP of the league, and led his team to a 15-1 record and the Super Bowl, all they have to go on is that he lost the game, didn't jump on a fumble, and walked out of his press conference. That's how they define him. I say GOOD! 

For the first time in the history of the Carolina Panthers we are relevant. It's what we've always wanted. And Cam is pretty much the main reason why we have become relevant. Now this team is also winning and is set up for sustained success and there's nothing they can do about it so I'm sure that boils their blood. I say GOOD to that too!

But we need to understand that this is our reality for the next 5-8 years. See it for what it really is and what these media clowns are doing and let's not get mad about it every time. They love the reactions they get from Cam supporters and of course they're going to get the reactions from Cam's haters. The best thing we can do, as Panthers fans, is not participate in this madness. Just smile and let it go. I'm pretty sure that's what Cam does. 

Cam is the media's dream.  He is a superstar that wears his heart on his sleeve, and he doesn't act like some stuffy old codger like we usually get at QB.  Sure, there's a segment that forms their opinion on the fact he's black, and there's also a narcissistic segment like Jeremy said, but I think for the majority of folks, Cam's just an interesting person that plays outside the box and whose presence in and of itself is clickbait.  He fascinates people, and he's so different than what we're used to at the QB position.  He can play the hero and the villain all at the same time. 

While guys like Wilson fit the mold of the hero, they're far less interesting than Cam, so much of the discussion they generate is in comparison to Cam.  Cam is an unconventional QB and personality, and the media loves him because he creates so many storylines...even if they're knocking him for something he's done, they are giddy to write/talk about him. 

I think you make valid points Jeremy.

But the comparison to a golfer in a sport that has dealt with blatant racism for a long time doesn't really help matters. Sounds like Schlereth just likes the "aww shucks" humble type of guy, and if such is the case, he probably does not like Tiger Woods either.

25 minutes ago, motocross_cat said:

To add to this its also the position he plays.  If he played tight end or linebacker no one would give a poo.

I agree. 

Cam is a confident black man who plays a position that is dominated by white men and these racists can't stand it.

2 minutes ago, Woodie said:

Cam is the media's dream.  He is a superstar that wears his heart on his sleeve, and he doesn't act like some stuffy old codger like we usually get at QB.  Sure, there's a segment that forms their opinion on the fact he's black, and there's also a narcissistic segment like Jeremy said, but I think for the majority of folks, Cam's just an interesting person that plays outside the box and whose presence in and of itself is clickbait.  He fascinates people, and he's so different than what we're used to at the QB position.  He can play the hero and the villain all at the same time. 

While guys like Wilson fit the mold of the hero, they're far less interesting than Cam, so much of the discussion they generate is in comparison to Cam.  Cam is an unconventional QB and personality, and the media loves him because he creates so many storylines...even if they're knocking him for something he's done, they are giddy to write/talk about him. 

Well, to be fair, Wilson sometimes generates attention off the fact that he can be a tad goofy.

Archived