• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Narcissism fueling Cam Newton hate....

Jeremy Igo

It seems people are still talking about the Cam Newton post Superbowl press conference from two months ago. I cannot recall a time when such a non-story became such a staple in the national sports discourse. At first I dismissed it as subtle racism still lingering the in the bowels of sports media types, much like that taco bell burrito you had 3 years ago.

Then this morning there was another Cam Newton press conference hemorrhoidal flare up. This time comparisons were make between the loser of the Masters and how he handled his defeat. I am not interested in having that discussion, as it bores me to tears in the most ball achingly way. Thats right, the discussion literally makes my balls ache.

What does interest me, however, is what motivates these intellectually lazy talking heads. Why do they keep returning to early February?

Then it hit me, this isn’t racism… it is narcissism.

Observe the latest from former NFL players Mark Schlereth…

In a single tweet, Schlereth unknowingly peeled back the outer layer of this nonsensical onion and revealed his true intent. It isn’t about Cam Newton, it is about himself. You see, by tearing down the league MVP he instantly propped himself up above him, if only in his own mind. Nevermind that Schlereth has admitted to cheating in a way that could seriously injure other players. 

“Look at me! I don’t approve of the way Cam Newton handled himself! Aren’t I amazing? Does my poo not smell like lilac? Come, smell my poo and lets us hold hands and discuss my accomplishments in earnest.”

So, let’s make a deal. From this moment on, when a commentator brings up the Cam Newton press conference, let us simply assume said commentator is actually wanting people to smell his soft but well formed fragrant poo. 

This bothers me and im just a fan.  Cam can have all the interviews he wants talking about how he does not care what people say about him but it must eat at him.  

Big respect.  

I know mark is paid for his analysis but he needs to put down the twitter.  Acting like a mean girl isnt a good look for a grown man.

When UNC lost and Marcus Paige was up there balling his eyes out, the media compared his "bravery" as they called it to Cam Newton's approach for the Superbowl..

Get use to it from this point out...Cam is now the poster child for anyone who loses a sporting event..

"Don't be Cam..look at this guy in how he responds to losing"...-Media

I'll be glad when football season starts back so Cam can give them something else to talk about..

Jeremy, I couldn't have said it better.   I actually sat here for a few moments thinking on how I could add to your comment and I can't find any other words.  You sir, are 100% accurate.  I sat in my chair after the Master last night and was on twitter to see that bum of a former player Schlereth ripping Cam on twitter and really the only combative wording he could use to valid his spot was "look at Speith."   It had my blood boiling last night that Cam keeps being mentioned with scenarios like this that really have nothing to do with him.  Cam has literally come out and said he isn't trying to be like anyone else.  Just so these "talking heads" get air time what better way then to try and rip the league MVP.  It goes back to the sense of people not wanting Cam to be MVP because he is a "different" type of player than other QBs (no reference to skin color but reference to playing style)

I love Cam and wouldn't trade him for any other QB in the league! Suck it media!

I think they just mad bro.  Cam has proven every single naysayer journalist wrong with his play since coming into the league.  He carried a team on his back all the way to the superbowl.  Media journalist dont like to be wrong as it discredits them as a viable new source.  Whatever chance they get to resurrect their previous viewpoints and say "see, I told you so" their gonna do it.

The media praised Cam for the steps he took in the mental side this year, they clapped when he went on a 15-1 tear through the regular season, they were cheering him on as he beat the Seahawks twice, and the Cardinals in the playoffs.....

When the media lifts someone up that much, they have to tear him down at some point.  Cam had a really bad day on 2/7/16.  The game was bad, and the press conference could absolutely have been handled better....that was all they needed...just a little foothold.

Want this crap to go away, just do it again.  Prove that you aren't a flash in the pan, and they will back off, but not until then.

For "journalists", outrage sells. It's why people like Skip Bayless get huge ratings. I call it the Dan Shaughnessy effect. Say something polarizing and don't give a fug about the actual content or fallout, and watch the views and clicks and dollars roll in.

Ya'll can get mad all ya'll want to, but part of the hate Cam receives IS because he's black. Like I said in the other thread on this matter, I don't know how Mark Schelereth thinks he paved the way for Cam to become a QB in the NFL. It's ridiculous for him to even make that suggestion. 

And please don't try to use Russell Wilson as a comparison as to why it's not partly about race. The same closet racists that hate Cam only "accept" Russell Wilson because he's not as openly confident as Cam. 

It is a jungle out there.

Today's for-profit media requires the public's constant attention to survive.

Whatever generates interest/controversy these days is fair game.

Mass shootings, natural disasters, plane crashes, Donald Trump, baby pandas, the newest I-phone and Cam are sure to generate attention and cash flow to the media's bottom line.

That is all that seems to matter these days.

Archived