• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why I predict we'll bring back either Tillman or Finnegan

KB_fan

Finnegan was signed off the street last season and didn't do enough in my opinion to be a highly sought after FA. Hillman's injury speaks for itself.

Honestly, I believe Gettleman will be targeting a CB in the draft. I'd rather have a rookie CB on the roster who can develop and take over for Boykin or possibly Norman next year. Finnegan and Tillman are not in the teams long term plans, so not worth a roster spot.

16 minutes ago, NYPantherFan said:

Finnegan and Tillman are not in the teams long term plans, so not worth a roster spot.

The beauty of Tillman's situation, as has already been posted above, is that he can come back while he's still rehabbing, sit on the PUP list, and possibly be activated late in the season if there's a roster opening.  No harm, no foul.  No lost roster spot.  But we still get his expertise & mentoring of our guys.

3 hours ago, Dunn said:

I think Tillman will want to come back, and he CAN contribute...be it late in the season after he heals.  His ability to cause turnovers is too good to pass up.  Finnegan to me was just a stop gap...but really didn't provide that extra spark we needed.  

Plus you'd think Tillman would announce his retirement by now this late in the offseason...to not do so I think shows he still wants one more shot.  

I think Peanut's just waiting to see how the recovery goes to decide. If it goes well then I agree he'll probably want to come back even as a backup to Bene and Josh (and I'd love to have him back for that). If not, then he'll probably hang them up. Not even entirely sure DG would definitely want him back.

1 hour ago, thomas96 said:

I think Peanut's just waiting to see how the recovery goes to decide. If it goes well then I agree he'll probably want to come back even as a backup to Bene and Josh (and I'd love to have him back for that). If not, then he'll probably hang them up. Not even entirely sure DG would definitely want him back.

I think its not so much he doesnt want him back. Its a value thing and kind of a fluid formula that includes how we do in the draft and FA following. Whats the sticker price again? kick the tires again. Corners do less hitting, longer careers.

Peanut's obligated to us first is the bottom line.

Finnegan had his missteps but I definitely wouldn't mind having him back.  For a guy signed off of an ottoman he did a good job overall.  He'd only be better now that we've added Boykin and Bene will be returning.

On 4/9/2016 at 8:05 AM, KB_fan said:

I find it interesting how quiet things have been on the Tillman & Finnegan fronts this offseason.  No announcements of either retiring, no reports of visits to or interest by other teams...  Unless I've missed something, there's been near total radio silence on both of them.

I've opined in several different threads that I would love to see Tillman back on the team if he recovers well - even if he starts the season on the PUP, he could perhaps contribute towards a late season SB run, and I very very much want to see this guy get a SB ring, especially with the Panthers.

But while I started merely wishing aloud that Peanut's days as a Panther are not over & done, I've now got a pretty compelling reason why I think Tillman or perhaps Finnegan will be back in a Panthers uni this summer.  CB room leadership.

So I was looking at the current roster, sorted by position, and sorted by age.... something jumped out at me.  Take a look, and think about what we know about Ron and how he likes to build his locker room:

roster_pos&age1.png

roster_pos&age2.png

Just about every position except CB, has an obvious veteran leader in the position group. 

Josh could possibly be that leader in the CB group, but his uncertain contract status and the fact that he may miss OTAs, etc., and perhaps his excitable personality as well, may preclude him taking this role. 

Solution:  Bring back Peanut or Finnegan.  Even if they don't start, their presence in the locker room in a fairly young CB group could be very important - especially as the group navigates the potential drama of Norman's contract negotiations.  In one more season I'd expect Bene to begin to take on a leadership role among the CBs.  The kid impresses me tremendously with his maturity.  And Boykin could too - but he's too new as a Panther right now.

So.  We WILL bring back either Tillman or Finnegan.  You can pretty much book it.  You read it here first!  LOL.

** of course Cam is the obvious leader of the QBs (and the team).  He doesn't "need" DA's experience and leadership.  But I highlighted DA anyway just to make it doubly obvious what a wealth of vet. experience we have at almost every position, while not being an "old" team.  Much of our core is young.  Awesome.

It makes a lot of sense, but I really hope it is Tillman over Finnegan. And there's no way to look at Josh as veteran leadership right now since he will most likely fly away next year.

I do disagree with the statement about Cam... not that he isn't the undisputed leader of the QBs, but that he doesn't "need" DA's experience and leadership. We might never know how much of the growth of Cam came from having DA on the team, but we can rest assured that it was one factor in Cam maturing into one of the best QBs you've ever seen. Having a solid, veteran back-up with no claims on your job is a luxury few NFL QBs have. He's been good for Cam, and good for the team.

to be honest, these guys can kiss my ass. I like Tillman he was a beast in his prime and is a phenominal person but We need youth and development in the lower lever sports of our roster. were in a good spot   the days of despritly throwing a guy in there cause we couldnt afford poo are over..

we have Norman Bene and Boykin. draft a guy or two who can develop into something and were sitting pretty

Archived