• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Would you let your wife do crossfit while pregnant?

fitty76

30 minutes ago, 15 said:

Yeah I think that this mostly has to do with the risk of throwing their backs out. I'm not sure what kind of heaving lifting they do in crossfit games but like I said, it is dangerous for her, not the baby in this case.

I believe it can cause premature labor.

My wife worked during one of her pregnancies and she delivered about 3 months early.  I didn't want her to work but everyone from her doctor to her friends thought it was ok.  And it's not like she was road grading, she was a salesperson on the floor of a department store.  I think the stress caused her to go into premature delivery.  

Personally I think all women should take it easy during their pregnancies just because there is always an increased risk of miscarriage or premature births.  But hey I know this isn't the 1950's and women pretty much do what they want.  I just think it's selfish unless you MUST work to support your family.

Before FMLA and maternity leave, women worked right up to labor. There was no such thing as a doctor putting a pregnant woman on "bed rest" and most women remained very active throughout their pregnancies. As a result, birth weights were somewhat higher in the 50's-60's and the health of both mothers and babies was much better than it is today. Since from 1990-2005 the average birth weight dropped 2 ounces.

While cross-fit may be a bit to the extreme, I completely agree that pregnant women should remain active, exercise and stay in shape throughout their pregnancy. It certainly has to be better physically and emotionally than just laying around. Those who do stay in shape and keep some sort of exercise regimen going are those who 2 months after giving birth never look as though they were ever pregnant.   

Archived