• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Comparative rankings of DTs (Consensus list of top 22 DTs)

KB_fan

15 minutes ago, The_Rainmaker said:

I know i was just kidding, BTW how come its always defense trumping offense ,its kind of going against BPA philosophy. Most huddlers have a defense player in 1-2 round mock specially DT & DE , are  they going based on need more so than BPA. I would like to see a anaylsis of offensive players that could potentialy fall to us with 30th pick. 

Thanks for your research, I could see panthers doing a 1-2 punch pick with BPA and need  (defense | offense) 

ex. 1st round TE: Hunter Henry  | 2nd round DE/DT Jonathan Bullard

3rd round CB: Will Redomond | 4th round OT: Fahn Cooper 

1 hour ago, The_Rainmaker said:

I would like to see a anaylsis of offensive players that could potentialy fall to us with 30th pick. 

Actually, I can post something about that now.  It's not the same kind of analysis as I've done above looking at a specific position, but often when I do a mock draft, I've been keeping a record of who the top 10 players are on the board.  

I did 30 mock drafts in the past 3 days.  For each of these I kept a record of the 10 highest ranked available players at pick 30. 

Here's what the sorted BPA list looks like in terms of frequency of availability, sorted by position.  Keep in mind that in some cases a player was available, but not on this list because other players were ranked higher on that board.  (For instance, Hunter Henry.  He was available to us in round 1 of almost every mock draft I did, but he usually was ranked just outside the top 10 players available - in fact, in most cases he fell to us in the 2nd round of most drafts.)

Players most often among the top 10 "BPA" at Pick #30 Round 1  (out of 30 mock drafts using 7 different boards)

BPA_round1.png.0b872077ce5d8101c8be5c750

Here's a fuller list, sorted by position:

OFFENSE:

BPA_round1_off.png.5790f0ffe53e5dd3c7e2e

DEFENSE

BPA_round1_def.thumb.png.2a93b9f5f917964

1 hour ago, The_Rainmaker said:

Thanks for your research, I could see panthers doing a 1-2 punch pick with BPA and need  (defense | offense) 

ex. 1st round TE: Hunter Henry  | 2nd round DE/DT Jonathan Bullard

3rd round CB: Will Redomond | 4th round OT: Fahn Cooper 

I would swap that 1st & 2nd round.  Bullard will not be available in round 2 unless all the Fanspeak mock drafts are WAY OFF. 

Henry so far is almost always projected to fall to us in round 2, though I find that somewhat suspect. 

(I imagine the mock draft sites are somehow devaluing picking a TE in rounds 1 or 2.  But given that there are many fewer good TEs in this draft than some other positions, if a team truly needs a TE, we could see Henry go much earlier than the mocks at Fanspeak are predicting...)

4 hours ago, CWORS said:

Rankins in the 1st or he might take a shot at Nkemdiche if his background checks out. I know he had that incident where he fell out a 4th story balcony but other than that I don't think he has done anything else crazy like fail a drug test, get a DUI, or a DV incident.

multiple teams said he didn't interview well at the combine...doubt Nkemdiche is even on our board.

18 minutes ago, davos said:

I like that Vernon Butler kid.  He could be our 2nd rounder. 

At least based on the mock drafts at fanspeak, and his ranking and grade on the NFL.com draft tracker site, Butler should be gone long before we pick in round 2.  We should be able to get him in round 1.  In fact, he could likely be the best DT available on the board when we pick in round 1.

32 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

At least based on the mock drafts at fanspeak, and his ranking and grade on the NFL.com draft tracker site, Butler should be gone long before we pick in round 2.  We should be able to get him in round 1.  In fact, he could likely be the best DT available on the board when we pick in round 1.

You're right.  I started searching more and I can see him going as high as the teens in Rd 1.  The kid is a beast.

6'4 323, 35 1/8 arms, 10 3/4 hands and incredibly athletic. 

5 hours ago, MHS831 said:

I really like DT in the second round.  i imagine there will be 10-12 DTs taken in rounds 1 and 2 because the talent is there, so expect a solid talent to drop. Kenny Clark, Austin Johnson, or Willie Henry come to mind. 

On the first chart, note the wide range of projections between Chris Jones (#9, first-fourth round) and Hassin Ridgeway (#14, first-fifth round).  That may indicate that a player with first round potential could be there in the third. 

I get the feeling that Gettlemen and Bean will fill about 3 spots in free agency and move up to grab a CB and DT.  I am not confident that we will draft a DE, but I am very confident that will walk away with a DT and CB.

Me personally, I want my DT in the first. If you are going to draft one? Why not get the best one you can? Especially, if Gman is afraid of losing KK next year. Just want that replacement to be the best talent we could get.

Same with DE. With all the kids we have there. If you are going to grab one. Might as well get the best one you can. No reason to add to that group of "Yet to Prove it" players. Get one that can push for playing time.

We need a NB. Could that garner first round consideration? Or can you continue to get lucky with those later round CBs?

Ah hellz. All I know is that Gman will pick the player he believes makes us better. I can live with that.

28 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

At first, I was all, wait for the draft to fill out the roster with FA. That way you pretty much know exactly what you need. Narrow the pool so to speak. Use the draft to set up FA. It just feels wrong to do it that way. I guess because it is.

But I have come to senses. If Gman sees an opportunity to upgrade the roster, he should go for it. No matter when. Before, after, during, don't care. Just keep drafting good talented players, and let FA work for you. Sounds simple.

Archived