• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Top 10 Sci Fi movies of all time!

kaixo

AI made it? Really? That movie isn't even top 25 worthy. Also, 2001 is over-rated.

THANK YOU! Kubrick sh*t the bed with that one. If I want to see bad monkey costumes I'll watch a movie where they're supposed to be ironic, thank you very much.

My list:

Runners up:

Minority Report, They Live, Star Wars, Akira, Blade Runner

10. E.T. - People forget to count it among sci-fis. Of course I choose the pre-revisionist Spielberg E.T.

9. Star Trek - Will climb in the ratings over time (and I hated Star Trek before this movie)

8. Sleeper - One of Woody Allen's finest

7. Predator - Get to da Choppa!

6. Terminator 2: Judgement Day - Chill out Dickwad!

5. The Thing - A whodunnit in the Arctic with aliens. Really sets the bar movies that try to instill a sense of paranoia in the audience

4. Starship Troopers - Look beneath the bug-splattering action (which is ***** AWESOME!) and you will find a densely layered commentary on American Imperialism and glorifying pointless wars (plus it's got bewbies!)

3. Invasion of the Body Snatchers - great flick that means so much more when taken in the context of McCarthyism America

2. Aliens - Beats the original by a wide margin, and the special effects have aged surprisingly well. Not only one of the best Sci-fis, but probably one of the best action movies ever made, too.

1. Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back - (Hoth, no Ewoks, Han Solo is a PIMP, and Boba Fett doesn't die)

2001 was so far beyond anything else done in the genre when made, it actually took 20 years for people to catch up with the idea.

The movie was brilliantly made and executed. The point of it was not to have a rousing adventure with explosions and action, but for your eyes to take in the environment, and your mind to think about what was going on. It was made in the mid sixties - the nearest equivalent at the time to it was Forbidden Planet, which had a lot of cerebral stuff going on, but wrapped in an Anne Francis and ray gun blanket.

2001 was all about the experience. It's effects still hold up today which is absolutely amazing. The set design, for the most part, has aged really well. The monotony of the astronauts lives, and how it plays into the drama with such cold precision, gives HAL and the scenario a truly creepy edge.

I'm not a big fan of the stargate sequence, but I can see how it would have been THE thing to see in a theater in the 1960s.

2001 is a brilliant movie, lost on the teens and twenty-somethings that think sci-fi requires lazer blasts to be audible in space and bugeyed monsters exploding.

My top ten would include

Star Wars 4 and 5

Brazil

Aliens and Alien

Terminator

Solaris

Star Trek 2

Mad Max/The Road Warrior

1. 2001

2. Aliens

3. Terminator 2

4. Star Wars Empire/Return of the Jedi

5. Independence Day

6. Event Horizon

7. Men In Black

8. The Matrix

9. Back to the Future ( If you consider it sci fi)

10. The 5th Element

I also find Sphere to be really enjoyable and probably a top 10 for me. Dark City, Donnie Darko, and Sunshine are also extremely badass and top 10 if you ask me on a different day.

Men in Black shouldn't come near any top 10 lists. Don't get me wrong, its a great popcorn movie but nothing special.

Well I disagree but I think alot of it has to do with nostalgia for me as well. I grew up on MIB, Mars Attacks, Contact, Sphere, Event Horizon, Alien Resurrection, Independence Day, The Arrival, etc...etc...

OK, to all you of 2001 purists, I need you to explain a few things:

1. The monkey scene (was this meant to be serious? Because I find it unintentionally hilarious!)

2. The giant black thing

3. The room at the end of the movie (audible laser blasts are ridiculous, but a white, Victorian room in outer space that dave can survive in with no helmet raises no eyebrows?)

4. SPACE BABY!!!!11!1!!1

The maybe 50 minutes of substance in between the monkey men and the white room in outer f***in' space are great, not counting 20 minutes without dialogue just incredibly loud breathing (and if you dare tell me that it's meant to capture the monotony of life in space I will hunt you down and curb stomp you. There's a reason I don't watch the NASA channel on TV. It's accurate, but it ain't entertaining).

The special effect, the dystopic view of the future, are tremendous. And yes, they were extremely accurate in predicting many of the technologies we had in 2001. But, please explain to me how this movie as a whole is anything more than mediocre.

Archived