• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

We only have picks in rounds 1-5 edit: oops, 7th pick trade was 2017

JawnyBlaze

Just thought I'd bring up something that most here will know, but some might not have thought of.  Our 6th round pick goes to Chicago for Jared Allen and our 7th to Seattle for ... can't even remember his name at the moment.  That WR.  So unless we get comp picks (most are projecting we won't, and I don't disagree after Hardy didn't do a whole lot in Dallas) or trade down (hope we don't, already a weak draft, don't want to be picking from an even thinner pool) we're only going to have picks in rounds 1 through 5.  The indirect effect may be that we might not see as much, or any, of Gettleman's patented trading up in the 2-4th rounds without as many later round picks to package.  We know Gettleman hasn't traded future picks yet, so we can probably forget about that unless there's someone there we just gotta have.

So get ready to be waiting til our currently scheduled picks most likely.  It's a shame, there's a couple guys that might be available at the top of the 2nd I'd really want.  Hope Gettleman sees it the same way, I'd rather have only 4 picks if the top two came in the top 40-45 of the draft if Shepard or Henry are there.  Hell, maybe even Hooper too.

edit: we have our 7th this year.  forgot that it was 2017's 7th we traded.

NO.

We have a 7th this year.   The pick to Seattle for Kevin Norwood was a 2017 pick.  Jared Allen was a 2016 6th round pick.

Here's confirmation re: the Norwood trade being a 2017 pick:

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Five-Takeaways-From-Gettlemans-Press-Conference/ce0ed063-98f3-4730-91b9-0f2b61170eb7

5. HOUSEKEEPING ON KEVIN NORWOOD TRADE: Gettleman confirmed that the Panthers will send their seventh-round pick in the 2017 NFL Draft to the Seahawks after acquiring wide receiver Kevin Norwoodicon-article-link.gif from Seattle in the preseason. Norwood played in just one game but was on the 53-man roster all season.

"We thought very highly of him in the draft, so our thought process was, for a seventh-round pick?" Gettleman said. "We feel like this guy is going to be a player. Who doesn’t want a player for a seventh-round pick?"

Archived