• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Some context on the race talk.

CelibatePimp

18 hours ago, CelibatePimp said:

I texted my packer friend who is black and asked his opinion. His reply was America celebrates winners. I sat back and thought about it and it all made sense. Yes there's racism out there but not everything is about race. Don't let what u read on the internet feed your perception. 

I'm just curious...   Why didn't you start a group chat? 

12 hours ago, Allaine said:

Except when Cam wins superbowls the hate will not go away, it'll get worst.  Mohammed Ali is sick and still hated.  Your third paragraph is on point though.

Cmon man. I've loved Ali ever since he went to go visit Arnold when he was sick on Differnet Strokes.

Ive never met anyone that doesn't like Muhammad Ali , man!

Not everything in relation to Cam is about race, but some of it is. Unfortunately, we can't quantify racism, or prove it in most instances.

Here is a little food for thought: http://racerelations.net/?p=75

I think that this thread in some ways speaks to "unfair" treatment in reference to @CelibatePimp more than anything else, because many people are ill at ease to discuss racial issues because in many ways America hasn't moved that far from its racist history. An insult here or there, innuendo, and jokes were to be expected. It was almost a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Don't get me wrong, we all have opinions---some more right than wrong and vice versa(including CelibatePimp and his friend)---but I believe that once Cam wins it all, the underlying feelings that people have about him based solely upon his race will not disappear, they will just be muted. 

19 hours ago, QueensKing said:

Just because said "friend" is black, doesn't give credibility to his comments... it just gives the guise of not coming from you in case the words were "racist".

Cam is a winner.  If LeBron was white, he'd be the most celebrated player in NBA history... there isn't a white player of his caliber, or close to it that's ever been hated at any time, especially undeservedly. 

Same with Cam... if he was white, he'd be the most celebrated player in the NFL. Period.  Name one white player of his caliber who has been given as much crap as he's gotten... I'll wait.  Black means you don't get the benefit of the doubt, or a pass.  Especially when you're not being a submissive individual mindful of appeasing critics.  Gronk isn't a "winner" any more than Cam is.  

Gronk's antics could never be done by Cam... but it is true, that in order for critics to shut up, you have to silence every single one of their criticisms.  That's why LeBron rebounded... he shut them up.  Mind you, he's never done anything wrong.  

Cam would still get tons of crap if he were white, assuming he still celebrated as much, spoke with arrogance, pouted, and dressed flamboyantly. All of my white friends absolutely hate Tom Brady.

And there's a very good reason why so many people don't like Lebron which is unrelated to race.

in defense of OP, i think cross-checking an identity (another guy with the experience of being black in america) with a secondary demographic factor (being the fan of another team) is a very valid thing to do if you're attempting to use empirical means to quantify racism, so i don't criticize that at all. in this case texting your black friend is a reasonable thing to do, and reflexively mentioning it is also a reasonable thing to do.

the conclusion doesn't past the validity test though, and it nullifies any merit the methodology had.

yes i have been doing science all day

OP doesn't really make a whole lot of sense.

If you are indeed black, why not just state that, and your own opinion from that viewpoint to begin with? Why even go out of your way to mention the need to text a "black friend" for some sort of validation of your opinion in that case? It kind of just makes it seem like you are backtracking now.

Regardless, not all of the disdain for Newton is race related, but there is without a doubt unfortunately a good bit of that being directed his way, and it has been since before he was even drafted. You saw that in the stereotypes about him as a QB, like the comparisons only to Vince Young, or Michael Vick, or other perceived failures at the position who just happened to also be black. That still happens even today, and it shows that the NFL, and the fans still haven't made nearly as much progress as people want to think.

8 minutes ago, TheRed said:

OP doesn't really make a whole lot of sense.

If you are indeed black, why not just state that, and your own opinion from that viewpoint to begin with? Why even go out of your way to mention the need to text a "black friend" for some sort of validation of your opinion in that case? It kind of just makes it seem like you are backtracking now.

Regardless, not all of the disdain for Newton is race related, but there is without a doubt unfortunately a good bit of that being directed his way, and it has been since before he was even drafted. You saw that in the stereotypes about him as a QB, like the comparisons only to Vince Young, or Michael Vick, or other perceived failures at the position who just happened to also be black. That still happens even today, and it shows that the NFL, and the fans still haven't made nearly as much progress as people want to think.

That's what I was telling him and that's why I think he is lying about being black and texting his "black friend."

Archived