• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Some context on the race talk.

CelibatePimp

I've been reading all this race talk and hate for Cam and it was getting to the edge. I read about Gronk out there when other players like McCoy (prior to his arrest) had to cancel a similar idea. 

I texted my packer friend who is black and asked his opinion. His reply was America celebrates winners. I sat back and thought about it and it all made sense. Yes there's racism out there but not everything is about race. Don't let what u read on the internet feed your perception. 

We often say Cam is the Lebron of the nfl. Lebron was very harshly criticized until he won. Now no one can really talk much about him. Same with Brady, he acts worse than Cam but no one lays into him. It's almost like you have to earn it. Is it right? Nope but that's how America is. 

For now, until he's earned it the critism of Cam will be no different than the other great sports athletes before him. 

The problem I think is we want everything to fit nicely into a box. Its a lot easier to try and define a person if its just one thing or another. Life is not like that. There are and can be two different things. Do ALL people hate Cam hate him because he is black? Nope. Do SOME people that hate Cam hate him because he is black? Yes. 

Maybe it's the Panthers homerism speaking, but winning limits things a bit.

Cam get's lots of hate because of his personality - the emotional, celebrating, arrogant dude.  Cam also get's a lot of hate because he doesn't play by the "book" that Belicheck and Brady continue to write about the speak to the media and say nothing.  Create no waves.  I get that.  I understand that aspect.

But Cam is a lightning rod because he's a black QB that doesn't embrace the "whiteness" that's often celebrated in how Russel Wilson acts when he loses the SB.  "Wilson is a black QB too!"  Sure he is, but he also plays the "white QB" role everywhere else.  Dad Jeans....

Now, I'm a 36 year old white dude.  I can't really talk too well about how anyone acts unless it's related to being white.  Cam isn't.  As everyone says, Cam is Cam.  He dresses funny, he embraces the lime light, he ENJOYS the game, he talks junk like every other position is allowed to do.  Because Cam openly defies the example of the boring white QB and embraces his age, pop culture and ridiculous pants, racists come out of the woodwork to decry Cam and they love to spend the extra effort to salt the wounds a bit more.

Now I will agree if the Panthers win the Super Bowl, all of "this" gets blown under the rug, and Cam joins a very rare group that includes some Hall of Famers and Trent Dilfer.  No one will care about his antics because he's topped the Mountain.  Until then, Cam's size on and off the field has made him an easy target for the racists in our society.  Thanks to the internet, they will continue to hurl their insults our way.

5 minutes ago, Jangler said:

Cam has been the player built up to fail in the media for the last 6-7 years..and hasn't. It's starting to piss them off.

I remember everyone saying that "he will be the biggest bust in the NFL." Those same people are now critisizing everything that he does. When we win next year they will all have no way out of Cam's bubble.

Just because said "friend" is black, doesn't give credibility to his comments... it just gives the guise of not coming from you in case the words were "racist".

Cam is a winner.  If LeBron was white, he'd be the most celebrated player in NBA history... there isn't a white player of his caliber, or close to it that's ever been hated at any time, especially undeservedly. 

Same with Cam... if he was white, he'd be the most celebrated player in the NFL. Period.  Name one white player of his caliber who has been given as much crap as he's gotten... I'll wait.  Black means you don't get the benefit of the doubt, or a pass.  Especially when you're not being a submissive individual mindful of appeasing critics.  Gronk isn't a "winner" any more than Cam is.  

Gronk's antics could never be done by Cam... but it is true, that in order for critics to shut up, you have to silence every single one of their criticisms.  That's why LeBron rebounded... he shut them up.  Mind you, he's never done anything wrong.  

Archived