• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

College = ponzi scheme

Ja  Rhule

That really sucks Arsen, but welcome to one of the harshest realities of the world, its less about what you know, but who you know. In some cases, you can get by on having an amazing resume, but I only know one person who'se done that, my wife (she's freaking brilliant...and I'm not just saying that).

Pretty much everyone I know outside of education got where they got through connections and favors. As an arts teacher, I applied at several districts for two years and got no hits. But when a friend of mine had an opening at her school, that's when I got in. its certainly different for each school district and each subject area, but arts jobs are hard to come by sometimes.

I'd suggest if you want to stay local, find networking groups like the Young Affiliates of the Mint Museum. its a great place to meet people and make connections.

Though I'd never think college is a waste or a ponzi, though it might feel that way. Its an experience like anything else. I know I did learn a lot of skills which I use on a daily basis. I know I matured as a person, and grew up from the adolescent jerk I was, to a not so adolescent jerk =) I wouldn't trade all of the "experiences" I had for all that money I spent.

Good luck Arsen. The world suck, especially now, but there's still opportunity, somewhere...

I reget not going to college, but the military, and picking a technical skill that made me sign up for 6 years, really benefitted me. Got a job within a few months of getting out making more than I thought I would, and have made myself a pretty good career in computer systems without learning anything about computers till I was almost out of the military.

Daughter is going to school to become a dental hygenist - she looked up what made money and sounded interesting to her, and went for it. It's technical and in the health field, and those skills are going to be in demand for a while.

Same here. Spent 10 years in the Navy as a Spook, then when I got out, just happened to meet up with some former Naval Intel people who worked for the bank. Thats how I got my job, and fortunately I have managed to hang on to it. I did go to college, took some courses in the military and then went to night school after I got the job at the bank. It did help my career in the bank a bit.

Archived