• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are Panthers ready to be the hunted?

Matt Foley

The Panthers have done so well as underdogs in the postseason, I have a legitimate question.....are they ready to go in as favorites, should they win on Sunday?

It's a totally different mindset. A lot of teams slip up the first time they are in this situation. Some don't.

Historically, no they have not flourished as the lead dog. Normally, they start getting some press and national attention and they fall on their face.

But this years team is breaking some of the old habits. For example, they never used to have a home field advantage. This year, they're 8-0 at home. I attribute it to new leadership in the locker room. Guys like Beason and Harris have brought a new attitude to this team. I think they can play as the lead dog now. I actually think they'll enjoy it!

This is my first post; that being said, I think the fans will have a harder time with the Panthers being hunted than the Panthers themselves. I'm good friends with a Steelers fan and I'm constantly asking her how she does it every year. Nevertheless, I'm enjoying it, especially since being up here in Boston I don't get to see games as often as I'd like, and now I've been able to see at least three. "Watching" online just isn't the same...

even is they were the #1 seed there won't be people standing around to crown them. everyone will still be saying that they don't deserve to be there and will be saying it's only a matter of time.

whether they are at the top or the bottom they are still the underdogs.

i also think that recently fox has been doing a good job of keeping players heads in check and not letting them dwell on success.

The Denver game proved to me that the Panthers are ready to be a force in the NFL. I know everyone had talked about the Tampa game and now the Giants game but the Denver game was the real "Manhood" game. To win that game after such an emotional win agaisnt a division rival on a short week and knowig how big the next game meant for playoff standings was huge. Any other year including 2003 and 2005 that would have been a game the Panthers lost. The team would have been looking back and looking forward. They didn't. They went out on the field and held the 2nd best offense in the NFL to 10 points.

Are the Panthers ready to be hunted? Hell no. They are still hunting and that mentality is the difference between good teams and championship teams.

even is they were the #1 seed there won't be people standing around to crown them. everyone will still be saying that they don't deserve to be there and will be saying it's only a matter of time.

whether they are at the top or the bottom they are still the underdogs.

i also think that recently fox has been doing a good job of keeping players heads in check and not letting them dwell on success.

Agreed. But I think we've been hunted all year it's just that the talking heads arn't talking about us but I garentee, as you can see in interviews of players and coaches, people have thought of us a legitmate threat ever since we beat the chargers.

Archived