• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

TE targets for this draft

JawnyBlaze

This thread is for TE's we could target in the draft.  I think we're mostly ok at WR with KB back, but we could certainly look to upgrade our TE2 spot from grooming to be Olsen's eventual replacement.  I still think more two TE sets would work better for us than what we often run these days under Shula.  Imagine 6'5 KB, 6'4 Funchess, 6'5 Olsen, 6'5ish other TE.  Hard to defend.  For TEs, my trait priorities go like this:  first, they have to at least either block really well and catch ok, or catch really well and block ok (this is the mold Olsen falls into).  Whichever is their specialty (if they are stronger in one area than the other) is what I judge first.  Then the other (block or catching, whichever isn't their specialty).  Then route running, then speed and size.  I'm going down Mayock's top 5 list for now til I know more of who to look for.

Hunter Henry, Arkansas:  I could almost stop looking at TEs with this guy.  From the games I watched I really like Henry.  I would LOVE to get him in the 2nd, wouldn't mind spending our 1st on him if there are no blue chip DEs or CBs available.  He's basically a better blocking version of Olsen (considering his age and experience level).  He probably blocks as well as or better than Olsen does now, much less when Olsen was younger.  Very willing blocker, active feet and hands.  He'll get faked out on a move by the defender occasionally, but not often.  He won most of the blocks I saw.  He also caught the ball really well.  I saw him make some tough catches, over defenders, falling to the ground, etc.  Very good route runner from what I could see, quick feet, quick cuts.  Very polished in this aspect.  Very good size at 6'5 250something (draftbreakdown has him at 253) and really nice speed and fluidity.  Overall looks like the total package.  Not exactly Gronk, but I could see him being an Eifert/Olsen type.  Really like this guy.  https://youtu.be/u1cO6UWl7Sc https://youtu.be/J-8D0KyqZIk

Austin Hooper, Stanford:  This guy looked really good too.  I'd be very pleased to get him in the 2nd or 3rd.  His blocking was more than adequate.  He actively looked for guys to block, didn't get driven back or pancaked.  Showed good run blocking in the video I watched, but didn't get to see him do much pass blocking.  Small complaint here is that sometimes he let up on his blocks too soon.  He'd block well for 2 or 3 seconds and then just let up a bit like he thought the play was over, but it wasn't.  Not a huge concern, didn't look like he was tired or not giving good effort, just looked like a mental thing that should be easily fixable.  His pass catching looks very good.  Very good at going up and getting contested passes.  Attacks the ball in the air.  Got to see him jump and catch a ball with two defenders all over him, and saw him make a falling catch too.  Looks like a natural hands catcher, like Henry.  Route running looks good, not quite as good as Henry though.  His footwork, especially out of the snap, was a little sloppy.  He moves quick though, plays fast.  Good size at 6'4 250ish (249 on the site) and fast.  Another guy that has a high ceiling. https://youtu.be/_CmPsfXdApg

Jerell Adams, South Carolina:  Meh.  His pass blocking seemed ok, his run blocking looked lazy.  LAZY.  Good hands, no drops that I could see, though he didn't make much of a jump on one overthrown ball.  Maybe it was too high, but it looked possible from what I could see.  Stiff routes, guy seems top heavy.  He's quick enough, but not fluid at all.  Only a few passes thrown his way, SC's QB is ATROCIOUS.  Decent size at 6'5 244.  I'd be ok with spending a 5th or later pick on Adams, but nothing earlier based on the one video vs Missouri that I watched.  https://youtu.be/2AlX2zNNat0

Nick Vannett, Ohio State:  Another guy I would like with a high pick.  His blocking is great.  Very active blocker, looks for people to block and blocks to the whistle.  Was the lead blocker for a lotta run plays, had some trap blocks, showed blocking versatility.  Good at pass blocking and run blocking.  The only video they had on him, vs Notre Dame, they only threw the ball to him once and he caught it, so I have no clue about his hands.  His route running looked great though.  Very quick feet, fast in and out of his breaks, good speed.  Very good size, they have him at just under 6'6 (6'5.75) 256.  I'll need to see more of his hands before I make up my mind for good, but if he has no problems catching the ball he's another 2nd possibly even 1st round target.  https://youtu.be/xdpzy2TP6fI

Henry Krieger Coble, Iowa:  Shorter TE, at 6'3 248.  Only had a couple passes thrown to him in the video I saw vs Michigan St., mostly blocked all game.  He's an active blocker, very willing, but he seems to get off balance a lot more than you'd want.  Ended up on the ground a bit.  Doesn't look strong enough to be a very good blocker in the NFL, but that could be worked on.  His blocking wasn't exactly bad, but it wasn't a strong suit.  He didn't even run a lot of routes, so I can't say much on that either.  The routes he did run tended to be rounded off a bit, not the best route runner of the group from what I could see, but I wouldn't say it was bad either.  He's quick enough.  He caught both the passes thrown to him, one was a REALLY good catch of a ball thrown down by his knees and behind him, crazy catch.  So I'd have to guess his hands are rather good.  Based on what little I saw of him I'd be ok with a mid-round pick spent on him.  https://youtu.be/icOz1pKaHWs

Order of preference:

1. Henry
  2. Vannett
  3. Hooper
  4. Krieger Coble
  5. Adams

Overall looks like a pretty strong TE group.

I Love Hunter Henry.  Kid is going to be a multi year probowler.  If there isn't one of the top DE's at 30 I would love to grab him.  If he slips to the 2nd we should pull a Funch type trade to go up and get him.  I wasn't impressed at all with Ed Dickson this post season.  Saw him wiff several key blocks in the Super Bowl and has been non existent in the passing game (not sure if that's Shula's play calling though)

Henry overall is the best receiving TE with the softest hands out of any TE or WR in this draft.  His blocking is top notch too. Possibly the best blocking TE to come out in a while.  Was a Big key in the Arkansas rushing attack with Alex Collins.

Nick Vannett would be my #2 now and would love to grab him in rounds 3-4.  As been a man among boys blocking.  Lines up some at FB similar to Dickson here.  Great athlete with Gronk type size.  Finally showed what he could do receiving side of the TE senior bowl week and looked really good

I'm down for Henry.  Wow.  He'd be so great for us.  I'd be willing to trade to move up in the 2nd to get him.  Not quite sure I can see Gettleman using a 1st....

Austin Hooper from Stanford looked pretty decent in terms of his profile as well.  Didn;t look at Vannett  yet.

I've not watched game film on any of these guys.  Just reading their profiles on NFL.com

Archived