• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What might a Charles Johnson extension look like?

Jeremy Igo

Unless his cap number goes down to 5-6 million or so for next year, I don't see a way to keep him. The savings are too great, and money for leadership can only be so expensive. 

I'd rather have Olivier Vernon, Malik Jackson, or someone else on 1 decent sized contract...than pay the same amount for a pair of CJ and a third tier DE 

3 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Charles Johnson is coming up on his last year of his contract. 

He is due to make...

Base Salary: $10,750,000

Workout Bonus: $250,000

Restructure Bonus: $4,020,000

For a total of $15,020,000

If the Panthers choose to release Johnson, they will save the $11 million but 4 million still will count against the cap. 

If they restructure him, convert his 11 million base into a signing bonus and prorate that over the term of the contract, they could free up cap space and keep the defensive captain on the squad. 

Johnson isn't 30 yet and can contribute a few more seasons. 

So an extension may look something like. 

3 years at 2 million a year base with a 12 million signing bonus. 

That would drop his cap hit in 2016 to 10 million (5 million savings). 

2017 would drop to 6 million cap hit. 

Is that something you would be comfortable with? 

I think the time for a restructure/extension would have been last year before his 2015 20 million dollar cap hit. We already took that on the chin. I personally think Gettleman is going to cut him and take the 11 million. 

He's just no longer worth a cap hit north of 6 million a year.

Next years biggest cap hits. 

Cam 19.5 Million

Kalil 10.3 Million

Johnson (under your proposed restructure) 10 Million

Stewart (if he stays and nothing changes) 9.55 Million

Davis 7.5 Million

Luke 6 Million

Olsen 5.1 Million

That being said I think its a safe assumption that his days as a Panther are over.

1 hour ago, Gin and Juice said:

Lol. Yeah, personally it's easy to window shop at RBs and CBs etc...., but one thing is for sure the we know improves our team dramatically, Beef the trenches up.

Gman hasn't made a Splash yet in FA and I understand why, but I'm thinking he does this year and wouldn't be surprised to see 2 DEs(recognizable names), a solid DT, and 2-3 O-lineman with at least one of those being an upgrade and rest for competition. 

We do that before the draft and everything else is easy

No way we have money for all those free agency splashes! 

DE:  YES!  I'm expecting 1 or maybe 2.  We need a starter opposite Ealy and we do not have one that I see on our roster.  (I think CJ should be demoted to a rotation player if we keep him.) It seems to be our most critical need, and the one we can least-easily fill in the draft due to the time it takes to develop star DEs.

DT: Don't think we really need a free agent DT unless we get a cheap vet...  I assume we'll resign Love who had a very good year.  And I'd be ok keeping Dwan for another year.  We do need more depth, but thinking we can find DT depth in the draft.

Oline: Not as big a need for a free agent as some think as long as Daryl Williams is on track to replace Remmers (moving Remmers to depth).  Yes we need to find the next LT behind Oher, but maybe that can come in the draft?  We're good at guard.  Center: there is the question of needing to groom Kalil's replacement.  Don't know if we'll do that through draft or FA.

Depending on what happens with Josh and Finnegan, I could see us looking for at least a "minor splash" at CB in free agency.  We're really thin at that position, especially a good nickel.  If Josh goes, it would need to be a much bigger splash at CB.

20 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

No way we have money for all those free agency splashes! 

DE:  YES!  I'm expecting 1 or maybe 2.  We need a starter opposite Ealy and we do not have one that I see on our roster.  (I think CJ should be demoted to a rotation player if we keep him.) It seems to be our most critical need, and the one we can least-easily fill in the draft due to the time it takes to develop star DEs.

DT: Don't think we really need a free agent DT unless we get a cheap vet...  I assume we'll resign Love who had a very good year.  And I'd be ok keeping Dwan for another year.  We do need more depth, but thinking we can find DT depth in the draft.

Oline: Not as big a need for a free agent as some think as long as Daryl Williams is on track to replace Remmers (moving Remmers to depth).  Yes we need to find the next LT behind Oher, but maybe that can come in the draft?  We're good at guard.  Center: there is the question of needing to groom Kalil's replacement.  Don't know if we'll do that through draft or FA.

Depending on what happens with Josh and Finnegan, I could see us looking for at least a "minor splash" at CB in free agency.  We're really thin at that position, especially a good nickel.  If Josh goes, it would need to be a much bigger splash at CB.

Good breakdown and pretty much in line with the direction I think we go.

At DE, I would like to sign Robert Ayers, William Hayes or Derrick Shelby. Either of those guys would be solid and capable starters opposite Ealy and should be able to be had for a reasonable amount of money. Ayers and Hayes are older but still very good. Combined with a 1st or 2nd round DE in the draft(Ogbah or Dodd please) and I'd be very happy with with our DE situation.

I do think we need to sign another 3T DT to replace Dwan to backup Kawann but that would be a cheap vet. Could get one in the draft but I think Dwan is done. He declined significantly this year. What makes me think we at least sign someone there is that Gettleman has always filled every hole we have in FA before the draft so he can feel comfortable going BPA. I'd expect at least a low level DT signing. Love is perfect as Star's backup so I see him coming back.

OL is fine. Remmers is a RFA so a 2nd round tender at $2M will pretty much guarantee he returns then we also have Daryl Williams to possibly take over. At some point a long term LT needs to be addressed but that would be in the draft and unless Chandler is cut then I wouldn't expect any OT signings that move the needle. We will probably bring back Chris Scott to be a backup OG and possibly Velasco at G/C. Developmental C and another backup OG seems like something to get in the draft since Amini just can't stay healthy. We might see an extension for Kalil this offseason but that really depends on how long he wants to keep playing.

At CB, I absolutely expect Josh to be tagged at minimum and I think we bring back Finnegan and McClain on vet minimum deals. The interesting question is what we do with Tillman. He has expressed desire to return but only as a Panther. Since his ACL injury occurred so late in the year there is no chance he would be ready for the beginning of the year, but what we could do is bring him back on a 1 year deal then stash him on the PUP list until he is ready to go and that way we don't have to give up a roster spot while we wait for his return. Josh and Bene outside with Finnegan/McClain in the slot should be a solid CB rotation and then probably add in a draft pick with Tillman ready to return midseason.

The ONLY thing that would make me think twice about releasing him is that he is from Georgia obviously and could play for those aholes and haunt us-the reason we overpaid in the first place.  If he was from Los Gatos, CA like JA I would move on.

4 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

After his poor performance this season, he won't be getting anything near that amount of money. 

Someone will pay him big money. He is still better than most DEs and can rush the passer. It just want be a playoff team. 

1 hour ago, KB_fan said:

Thanks for commenting on Webster.  I feel I know nothing about him and haven't had time to do any research.

We've also got Cox and Miley.... both showed some flashes last preseason.  Wouldn't assume either are anywhere near ready to start, but hoping they're progressing.   Haven't heard a peep about either in months, especially Miley who has having some knee surgery done?   Has Miley gotten through rehab and been practicing with the guys?  Anyone know?

All of them seem to have potential, some more than others and much like Williams and wegher, keep certain ones around to monitor. Either way, they are realistically fighting for that 5th DE spot and PS spot.

At the end of the day, we need 3 viable DE's and at this moment I see 1 in Ealy. CJ is borderline with potential to maybe return to form. JA is just gonna go downhill quickly!

#1 DE-open(need that Vet guy that can change the game)

#2 DE-Kony Ealy due to still developing and its just a matter of games before he becomes a #1 man wrecking crew!

#3 DE-CJ but his cap hit doesn't fit.

#4 DE-Mario Addison

#5 DE-Ryan Delaire

At bare minimum, we should be finding that #1/#2 guy. I think with even letting CJ go, Mario and Ryan are capable of filling 3 and 4 but I think Smart money is on taking JA to camp paid like a number 4 and let him battle/teach the kids

Archived