• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What might a Charles Johnson extension look like?

Jeremy Igo

20 minutes ago, Devil Doc said:

How Boot... CJ Takes a Cut or Walks... Promote Ealy and Delaire.... Sign Allen to a 2 Year 3 Million Contract.

That's what I am feeling. Draft some DEs. Presumably one of those picks hits. Allen is around to coach up the youngsters and boom you've got young talented DEs to pair w young talented DTs to pair with young talented LBs (at least 2).

Id like him to restructure and reduce his role but my fear is having him on the team and taking too many snaps because of his seniority and status. Ealy is a starter, Addison and Delaire should have spots. Allens probably gone. We definitely need to add a pass rusher.

I think he can still be a good player but I'm concerned about his injuries.

He's been hurt for most of two years and hasn't really done anything to remotely justify his salary.  Having said that, if he were willing to sign a team friendly deal to stick around a couple of years it wouldn't be terrible to have him on team.  My concern is that if hes on the team he will be getting every snap regardless of whether he is the best option and that makes having him around, at any price, a dangerous proposition.

People seem to forget that it takes a few years for DE's to come into the NFL and adjust to the game. Would be great if we could keep CJ for a reasonable price, draft a DE in the later rounds, CJ plays good, Ealy pans out, and the drafted DE gets time to develop.

Gives us space to ink Short and Star to new contracts, improve the backfield and still have some cap left.

14 minutes ago, imminent rogaine said:

That's what I am feeling. Draft some DEs. Presumably one of those picks hits. Allen is around to coach up the youngsters and boom you've got young talented DEs to pair w young talented DTs to pair with young talented LBs (at least 2).

I don't see Delaire being ready for that much game time. I think he gets there but penciling in Delaire as starter and hoping to draft a couple DEs that pan out immediately seems foolish for such a spot that makes such a difference!

If we had actually had a consistent push off the edge this year then we could have prolly added another 8-10 turnovers to our defensive total. 

We lost the super bowl at the hands of an extremely effective 4-man Rush! Brady lost a couple that way! The importance of 4 men on your D-Line that can get the job done is perhaps the MOST dangerous weapon a team can have! Second would be a stud QB

4 minutes ago, Gin and Juice said:

I don't see Delaire being ready for that much game time. I think he gets there but penciling in Delaire as starter and hoping to draft a couple DEs that pan out immediately seems foolish for such a spot that makes such a difference!

If we had actually had a consistent push off the edge this year then we could have prolly added another 8-10 turnovers to our defensive total.

We lost the super bowl at the hands of an extremely effective 4-man Rush! Brady lost a couple that way! The importance of 4 men on your D-Line that can get the job done is perhaps the MOST dangerous weapon a team can have! Second would be a stud QB

Good point. I agree that Delaire can't be THE guy.I was thinking Ealy gets a spot and then heavy rotation between Allen/Addison/Delaire/Rookies until/unless one of them shows he is ready to own that spot.

I would be comfortable keeping him for that. He actually looked very good in the playoffs (three sacks in three games) and will have a whole offseason to get healthier. He might even actually have some help from our opposite end if Ealy keeps up. 

Players rarely take pay cuts, and that's what he needs to be offered.

If he wants to continue to play, and in Carolina, he needs a true pay cut, not an extension.

That said, if he will take an extension, and a real pay cut, I have no problem keeping him for another year or two.

Archived