• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What might a Charles Johnson extension look like?

Jeremy Igo

Charles Johnson is coming up on his last year of his contract. 

He is due to make...

Base Salary: $10,750,000

Workout Bonus: $250,000

Restructure Bonus: $4,020,000

For a total of $15,020,000

If the Panthers choose to release Johnson, they will save the $11 million but 4 million still will count against the cap. 

If they restructure him, convert his 11 million base into a signing bonus and prorate that over the term of the contract, they could free up cap space and keep the defensive captain on the squad. 

Johnson isn't 30 yet and can contribute a few more seasons. 

So an extension may look something like. 

3 years at 2 million a year base with a 12 million signing bonus. 

That would drop his cap hit in 2016 to 10 million (5 million savings). 

2017 would drop to 6 million cap hit. 

Is that something you would be comfortable with? 

1 minute ago, Riverboat Ron said:

Question is will Big Money be comfortable with it. He might just say fug you, pay me $15 Million this year or cut me so I can go to the Bucs or Falcons and get a 3 year $35 million deal. $15 million guaranteed. 

After his poor performance this season, he won't be getting anything near that amount of money. 

If he's going to play as poorly as he did this year (I know he was hurt and took some time to get back) then I wouldn't want him for the vet minimum. This D is very close to being elite, DE is one of the positions its lacking in explosiveness. Do you look at the cap, or the potential production? If it the former, you restructure, if the latter you cut bait and use that money elsewhere, 

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

He was never an outsider on the team. The fans gave him a hard time, I think that is what you saw. 

Truth.  The guy went to away games on his own to support his guys.  Sure, he didn't play to the level we may have expected, but to say he was an outsider, or mentally gone, is just silly.

Just to add, CJ was getting a good amount of pressure in the playoffs, he just wasn't the one getting the sacks.  We give KK a lot of praise, and deservedly so, but without pressure from the ends in some of those cases, the QB wouldn't have been running into KK's loving arms.

Archived