• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My take on the Cam Newton fumble.

Jeremy Igo

39 minutes ago, TheRed said:

The comment went beyond saying that they would just "hit him". The "right in his face" line adds a bit more to it, why add that unless you are wanting to really hurt a guy to the point that he may not return? Pair that with Talib's mindset, several players on that defense were playing at minimum borderline dirty.

I really don't have a problem with a defense saying this. People use overexaggeration to emphasize things. They weren't going to punch him in the face, but they certainly would have let him have it if he tried to come in there- same with anyone else who went for the ball. That's how those scrums go when you're fighting for the football.

6 hours ago, uscgamecocks said:

Question Cam is Answering:  Why did you jump back instead of bending down to fight for the ball?

Cam's Answer:  I didn't go after the ball (at that point) "because the way my leg was it could have been contorted".

I just think that he was trying to say that his knee buckled in his own 'Typical Cam' way.

10 hours ago, teeray said:

No QB in the NFL puts his body in harm's way more than Cam Newton.

This is a guy who played with a bum ankle, broken ribs, and a broken back last season.

The idea of him not being commtted or tough is laughable.

He made a snap judgment.  He may have made wrong decision and it may have been a technique issue.  But it isnt heart or toughness.  

It didn't help that this happened on the biggest, most magnified stage of them all. A non playoff or non prime time game and no one would have thought much of it.

Cam did not tear his ACL, which IMO is more important than any single win, even this Super Bowl. We lost the game way before the fumble anyway. I couldn't care less about the play. It's the previous 50 minutes of play that gets me upset

11 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

This is correct. Cam was not on top of the ball to dive on it. By jumping back he put himself in the prime spot to recover the ball.

This should be a moot issue since the biggest talking point on this play should be another missed call by the officials.

Cam was in the process of securing the fumble when Von Miller illegally batted the ball away from Cam so he could not recover the fumble. Here is a screen shot from another angle showing Cam about to secure the ball. Von Miller should have received a penalty for illegally batting the ball toward his opponents end zone.

vonillegalbat.JPG.298e84f21d6af398cdddba

This should have been a 10 yard penalty on the Broncos and Carolina would have kept possession.

There must have been 10+ missed calls by the officials all in favor of the Broncos.

It does not follow that someone who willingly puts himself at risk for TDs or first downs  makes no attempt to recover his own fumble in the biggest game of his life.  In fact, stops the effort 

one day the narrative is, Cam does things other QBs dont

next day, cam is like every other QB and didnt go for the ball for reason x

i have  spent 3 days trying to explain why Superman was not So Super.

no excuses anymore. He didn't play well. The panthers didn't play well. Our QB should have handled the press conference better and the same coaches who stand with him afterwards had to know what would happen sending him out to the media ....maybe they wanted to deflect questions from themselves and that putrid game plan, who knows. 

the flip side to it is Cam loves the photo ops with the media when he is winning. He needs to learn the camera is always on him, it's what he wants, when his son  grows up, 

is what he showed, what he wants to be his legacy? If so, maybe the Broncos are right, there is  no Easter Bunny or Santa  and there is no Superman

He needs to grow up  I hope he does.

people won't like what I say here but over three days of reflection it is how I feel about it all,  and quoting cam you know, 'no band aids for feelings' and all...unless its Cam's feelings. 

14 minutes ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

that's all well and good raleigh-panther

it's also completely irrelevant provided the front office, coaching staff, and cam's teammates have his back.

That actually is worse to some people. I love the culture around this team though. They all have his back because they know that's not Cam to not want to be hit or anything. I'm sure sometimes they prefer him to take a more finesse approach to the game. But him recovering that fumble would've been bad for business. Period. An ACL injury or worse and nobody wants their $103 million dollar franchise QB headed into the offseason looking at ACL surgery and rehabbing it and how it will affect his play. Supercam is still Supercam. CAMVP! He has my support fully.   

50 minutes ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

that's all well and good raleigh-panther

it's also completely irrelevant provided the front office, coaching staff, and cam's teammates have his back.

Everyone has an opinion and is entitled to it  

I respect yours as well  you may very we'll be right and frankly it is more concerning if you are

None of us know what is or is not said within the Panthers management and ownership  we have no idea 

losing poorly  ok  I get it    

The bottom line is the Carolina Panthers and what their brand represents  they pay Cam not the other way around if they were ok with anything that went on in that press conference and post that's the end of it 

50 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Derp, grow up Cam. Derp.

Absolutely pathetic that these hot takes about maturity still exist 5 years after we drafted our MVP quarterback.

IMHO They exist because he feeds it  unintentionally or intentionally 

it is not easy to be who is and what he is

We all get that

he is a 26 year old millionaire QB  and there are only 32 of them in the world so yes from an athletic stand point he is special  ...from all accounts he works very hard at his craft .... he does kind things  ....he is not evil 

However, part of that craft and job responsibilities are dealing with the press.  accept it and improve it or the same people defending him now both teammates and fans are going to grow very wary of the continued dialogue  including the people who buy tickets and Newton jerseys 

if dealing with the press is something he needs to get better at in defeat, then the Panthers do him no favors in not helping him as defeats happen in life and on the NFL field   Ron needs to go through with his suggestions to the NFL post super bowl as well

Again I mean no disrespect to him or anyone in the board  I understand this is a hot topic.  

5 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

IMHO They exist because he feeds it  unintentionally or intentionally 

it is not easy to be who is and what he is

We all get that

he is a 26 year old millionaire QB  and there are only 32 of them in the world so yes from an athletic stand point he is special  ...from all accounts he works very hard at his craft .... he does kind things  ....he is not evil 

However, part of that craft and job responsibilities are dealing with the press.  accept it and improve it or the same people defending him now both teammates and fans are going to grow very wary of the continued dialogue  including the people who buy tickets and Newton jerseys 

if dealing with the press is something he needs to get better at in defeat, then the Panthers do him no favors in not helping him as defeats happen in life and on the NFL field   Ron needs to go through with his suggestions to the NFL post super bowl as well

Again I mean no disrespect to him or anyone in the board  I understand this is a hot topic.  

I guess it's perspective, some people seem more worried about how he handles the press than with the fact that we just lost our second Super Bowl. Does that not seem downright pitiful to you? It does to me, and it just shows how deep the disdain runs for the guy, even with some within our own fan base.

NFL players are ultimately judged by their success on the field. Nobody will give a poo 10 years from now that he was supposedly rude to the press, all they will know is the Panthers lost to the Broncos. Ultimately that's all that matters. Which is why it is pivotal that our guys use this as motivation to get back there next year.

I understand. 

We all have things we can work on and we would not like the spot light on

us either constantly but we are beholden to certain obligations and Cam is no different 

he has greatness in him not just athletically but as a change agent for good things. Let people see that but if all people see is that performance at the press Conf. Not good. People will stop listening  it is not the first time either   Some of his press conferences in Charlotte are not great either 

this is not about him being Ghandi up there and singing Kum ba ya or uttering  platitudes and cliches...it is about him finding words to express himself    a simple 'I know you all want to ask me questions but I cannot answer too clearly now congratulations to Denver' would have been enough to have changed the whole narrative    

Effective Communication is a learned and teachable skill as is body language  and he needs polish with both ias the face of the franchise   It comes with territory or people will stop caring and watching 

Archived