• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My take on the Cam Newton fumble.

Jeremy Igo

5 minutes ago, Sam Mills Fan said:

The film doesn't lie guys. It looks like he didn't want to dive and he literally told the media he didn't dive because he was afraid of injuring his leg. You can come up with all the homer reasons to excuse it all you want, but I suggest reading up on Occam's razor.

You just continue to be a consistentry reactionary awful poster. Sometimes you actually make sense though. It's confusing.

Cam is not going to tell the media that he wasn't coached on what to do at that moment or that he didn't practice it enough. That would sound like he was blaming someone else.

I think Jeremy's right about how Cam couldn't dive at the moment everyone is talking about without a good chance of getting injured but could've earlier. Cam's explanation doesn't refute Jeremy's observation.

I'm good with Cam. He sells out. Everyone had a bad game at different moments. I thought the ball was going in a different direction but after watching it 1000 times, I understand what Cam is talking about and see a very real possibility of what Jeremy is saying.

Even if Newton had blindly dove in there, and not managed to get the ball, or knocked it away even further, there would still be people criticizing him for it. It's a no win situation with some of these people who have already made up their minds about him really. That's just getting to the cold hard truth of the matter. Not much more needs to be said.

2 minutes ago, teeray said:

I don't really care if I am a homer.  But lets talk the number of times he has run into the teeth of a defense or ran over a safety or linebacker to get a first down or TD.

Lets discuss how he plays every game and every play.

To question his toughness, heart, or willingness to put body in harm's way is laughable.

He made a snap judgment.  Maybe he was wrong in that decision, but to question his toughness and heart is dumb and beneath anyone who has watched him play for 5 seasons

I don't question his toughness as a player, I'm questioning it in that one play. Cam did a lot of other uncharacteristic things all game long that surprised me too: errant throws, played with no joy even in the first quarter when it was still close, ran like he was stuck in molasses, got up to the line of scrimmage very slowly.........these are all things that are not Cam Newton. Why all these things happened, I have no idea. I have no idea what happened to the offense period. Cam is tough, he's a good passer, he's fast and plays with joy...........he just didn't do those things in this game. That's all I'm saying.

4 minutes ago, Broncs4lyfe said:

Cam was smart, if he had dove in Denver would have taken the opportunity to crush him. I think there's a quote somewhere where one of the defensive players said they were waiting for him to do it.

here it is:

“If he would have touched that ball, I was gonna hit him right in his face, and I wasn’t the only one,” said safety T.J. Ward, who would eventually recover the loose ball. “And I don’t know—maybe he needed to stay healthy for next year.”

Also, there are a couple different camera angles to look at. They keep showing the same one. There is another video from an end zone angle that goes along with what Jeremy is saying. He waited too long to dive for the ball and then at the point everyone is seeing, he is kinda out of position. He tried to chase it first. Anyways we lost and that one play didn't mean a whole lot in the end.

33 minutes ago, Sam Mills Fan said:

Here's Cam's exact quote as to why he didn't dive. Not a single person on here believes we would have driven down and made it 17-16 if he recovers the ball, but there was still a CHANCE. If you're not willing to risk a leg injury needing a touchdown with not much time left in the 4th quarter of a Super Bowl, when are you? Not the end of the world, but it feels pretty homerish to excuse not diving:

I don’t dive on one fumble because the way my leg was, it could have been (contorted) in a way.”

Let me get this right. You are asserting that Cam Newton didn't care enough?  Yeah, I think I need a break from this board for a while.

Archived