• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My take on the Cam Newton fumble.

Jeremy Igo

Just now, Sam Mills Fan said:

The biggest problem people understandably have with Cam not jumping on that ball for fear of hurting his leg is the following picture. You can't be on the same team as Thomas Davis and be afraid of hurting your leg when trying to still have a chance at a Super Bowl:

He has played with a bum ankle, broken ribs, and a broken back... all at the same time

Lets keep it in perspective.

4 minutes ago, teeray said:

He has played with a bum ankle, broken ribs, and a broken back... all at the same time

Lets keep it in perspective.

Here's Cam's exact quote as to why he didn't dive. Not a single person on here believes we would have driven down and made it 17-16 if he recovers the ball, but there was still a CHANCE. If you're not willing to risk a leg injury needing a touchdown with not much time left in the 4th quarter of a Super Bowl, when are you? Not the end of the world, but it feels pretty homerish to excuse not diving:

I don’t dive on one fumble because the way my leg was, it could have been (contorted) in a way.”

9 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

This may not be, well hell, this won't be a popular opinion. But, it is my opinion none the less. 

Cam Newton doesn't know why he didn't dive for the football. 

I will explain. 

Over the past 5 seasons I have seen Cam take thousands of snaps both in practices and in games. I have even seen him catch hundreds of passes. One thing I have never witnessed him do is a fumble recovery drill. I am not sure he has ever done one, at least in the pros. 

Take a look again at the video (sound off this time)....

The point at which Cam needs to be diving on the ball is at the very beginning, not when he is over the ball with his legs contorted. No one just falls on the ball. You dive on it. It is not a question of whether or not Cam tried to retrieve the fumble, he obviously did as he ran towards it. 

It is a question of technique. It appeared Cam thought he could just reach down and pick it up. Exactly like someone who has not performed a fumble recovery drill would do. All players, except QBs, spend a whole lot of time practicing diving and wrapping up. But by the time Cam got there, it was too late, diving was not an option because of how his legs were situated, as he said in the press conference. 

In short, the desire was there, but the technique was not. 

This is pretty much what I thought also. I think three things contributed: 1) His leg wasn't in the right position to dive down, especially considering 2) He saw Remmers (I think) diving in from his left with his peripheral 3) he just froze for a split second, as to what he should do (to Jeremy's point). He did dive in there but it was too late. Anybody who want to question his toughness is a fool, just look at his his 30 or so goal line TDs or especially that run against Atlanta.where he bulldozes through about 10 Falcons.

7 minutes ago, Sam Mills Fan said:

The biggest problem people understandably have with Cam not jumping on that ball for fear of hurting his leg is the following picture. You can't be on the same team as Thomas Davis and be afraid of hurting your leg when trying to still have a chance at a Super Bowl:

I just knew someone would come in here making this comparison. It doesn't hold up considering his history of playing through injuries, and literally repeatedly risking his body for countless first downs, and rushing touchdowns. Please stop.

When it first happened I was very disappointed in Cam.  I felt that he didn't show any heart, toughness and shied away from the contact.  However, now I have a different opinion.  I realize what I failed to realize in the moment.  That being that it was 4th down.  So if he dives and risks his body, he does it for literally nothing.  We turn the ball over on downs irregardless.  That is the most obvious explanation.  The only hope was if he could have picked it up and ran with it.  If he dives that is not even an option.  Game was over once the ball hit the ground.  I am not disappointed anymore.  Just moving on and looking forward to next year.  I like what I am hearing from Cam.  He has now said on at least 2 occasions that we will be back.  I agree and Cam will lead this team to the top of the mountain.  I have been calling it since his rookie year when I first saw that we had a once in a generation talent at QB.  We drafted a winner/sore loser not a good loser/loser.  We love our QB and support him.  Keep pounding.  

Here's Cam's exact quote as to why he didn't dive. Not a single person on here believes we would have driven down and made it 17-16 if he recovers the ball, but there was still a CHANCE. If you're not willing to risk a leg injury needing a touchdown with not much time left in the 4th quarter of a Super Bowl, when are you? Not the end of the world, but it feels pretty homerish to excuse not diving:

I don’t dive on one fumble because the way my leg was, it could have been (contorted) in a way.”

I don't really care if I am a homer.  But lets talk the number of times he has run into the teeth of a defense or ran over a safety or linebacker to get a first down or TD.

Lets discuss how he plays every game and every play.

To question his toughness, heart, or willingness to put body in harm's way is laughable.

He made a snap judgment.  Maybe he was wrong in that decision, but to question his toughness and heart is dumb and beneath anyone who has watched him play for 5 seasons

The film doesn't lie guys. It looks like he didn't want to dive and he literally told the media he didn't dive because he was afraid of injuring his leg. You can come up with all the homer reasons to excuse it all you want, but I suggest reading up on Occam's razor.

Cam was not lying. If he would have dove at the point his legs were contorted he would have been injured. 

However, he could have dove a bit earlier more safely if he had known in the moment to do that. Without practice and experience, he didn't.

The film doesn't lie guys. It looks like he didn't want to dive and he literally told the media he didn't dive because he was afraid of injuring his leg. You can come up with all the homer reasons to excuse it all you want, but I suggest reading up on Occam's razor.

The simplest answer usually IS the correct one. So I'm going to assume you say all of this dumb stuff simply because you are dumb. 

Archived