• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Notre Dame tips large....

Kettle

So she made three efforts to straighten out the mistake, and then the school called her at the end of the quarter when all the books were likely being done. Their oversight, mistake, and unwillingness to call her back are all things that are not her fault, and for that reason I side with her.

That's what she claims but I don't know that can be proven....and I ain't buying that she "thought finally something wonderful had happened" in her life when the school paid her a $29,387 tip line either. Give me a break. You're doing a pretty menial job and you even consider that that might be a genuine paycheck? C'mon.

She knew it from the start but spent the money anyway. I bet she never made a single call and I find it real hard to believe that no one answered the phone on 3 separate occasions. You gotta be real gullible to swallow that one.

Sounds to me like she (or a lawyer) came up with a "I called multiple times" story after the school contacted her and told her they wanted the money back.

I can just imagine a bank forgetting about an ATM spitting out $500 when you keyed in $50. Yeah, don't sweat it...you can keep it....our mistake. And that's minor compared to this.

It would be nice if the little guy won for once but be realistic...if she were genuinely concerned about it, couldn't she have taken a drive to the campus and questioned someone in person? That's why I don't buy the multiple calls thing. There's no way to verify it...and my bet is, she knows that. You can't prove she did, and you can't prove she didn't....but it garners sympathy, so use it.

The article says she was paid on April 17th and the school contacted her in May...sounds like she spent, what she knew wasn't hers, pretty fast.

I just don't get why it's ok for large corporations and universities to make mistakes and don't have to eat them.

Sure doesn't work that way for the average joe. You screw up you pay dearly, usually more than the original mistake. It's like going to the bank and saying "I didn't mean to spend that much money, now refund those fees or I'm taking you to court" It just stinks.

Just like the Best Buy screw up where they sold HDTV's for $19.99 instead of $1999.99. It might be ok if it worked that way for all of us, but it only seems to work for those who have an army of lawyers at their disposal.

finders keepers, losers weepers?

Basically, yeah. Again, I think the girl's a bitch and anyone with a decent amout of humanity WOULD return the money..but that said, ND fuged up. Big time. It was their mistake and they should have to get over it. Fire the accountant responsible and make sure it never happens again.

Awesome reasoning....by that token, I bet the federal govt doesn't need my 8K in income taxes, so I'll just skip filing next year. Shouldn't be a problem...right?

Or...a few years ago, ADP screwed up and did double paycheck deposits for everyone in our department. Boy, all of us we really screwed up not withdrawing that money before they could take it back!

BTW - Tuition for undergrads is something like 38K (48K with housing).

Archived