• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Notre Dame tips large....

Kettle

I saw this earlier... I wonder how hard she tried to contact them... and what kind of time period we're talking here... if she called for like two days and then cashed the check, not cool... if it was like a month or something with no response, I can see it...

She had to know it was a mistake... I suspect however that since it was classified as a tip she'll get it...

Woohoo, pile on ND time (again)! :rolleyes:

"yeah, I thought it was a genuine $29,000 tip"....sure thing honey. from the start you ran to the bank as fast as you could and spent it even quicker figuring you'd just cry poor-mouth in the press if they tried to get it back.

a 30 dollar tip on a catered event is weak

you have no idea what the catered event was...nor do you know what she was paid. it could have been something as simple as the Friday football luncheon in the Joyce Center (everyone gets the same plate...they're basically manual labor used to carry the plates to the table. IOW, it's not the typical waiter/waitress service you would normally get). Good chance the "tips" are split among the 25-40 people that work the luncheon. It's about $20/pp which you buy an advance ticket for. No money changes hands at the lunch.

This is irrelevant though as the woman obviously knew it was a mistake but she cashed the check anyway and made sure she spent it all knowing they'd come looking for it at which time she could plead a major amount of ignorance and hope the PR generated would make the university back off. Not likely.

If you really want something to hold against ND, then criticize them for the way they make the alumni send in money for the Alumni Lottery for football tickets many many months in advance of the lottery. They deposit the checks (which I can assure you amounts to piles and piles of cash), collect the interest earned on it and then refund the unlucky alums who don't win the right to purchase tickets for the upcoming season. I'm sure they can justify it as a huge program that takes a lot of "administration" and such, but hey, it's their tickets and if you want em, I guess you gotta play by their rules. It's slightly shady IMO as they could accept requests for the lottery without submitting a payment should you win....but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the big football schools do the same thing.

Although I think that this woman is a selfish bitch, and I think that any decent human being would give the money back of their own volition, I also think that ND, or anybody for that matter, should live with the consequences of their own stupidity. No matter how idiotic and witless this woman is, it wasn't HER who made the mistake of putting 29,000 instead of 29.00 on the check.

This same type of thing happened to my wife when we lived in ga. The temp agency she was working for overpaid her by about $100. Happened on a Friday and wasn't noticed until after she deposited the check (and the temps office was closed). We needed the money desperately but didn't spend more than what she should have been paid. On Monday she called in and made them aware of it. She took the excess in to them that day but they never used her again.

We didn't just spend it and act like it was some sort of bonus. Nor did we expect the agency to own up to their mistake and let us keep it.

Face it. This broad is trying to pull a fast one and got caught. The university should not be expected to just forget it. If you think so, I sure hope you never get audited by the IRS cause they sure as he'll aren't going to just let you keep money that isn't yours because they screwed up.

i've got nothing against ND at all shinner. i just posted the link. i watch college sports, but have no favorite, and make no effort to keep up with any of it.

It is obvious that it was a mistake, but the article doesn't give facts about what kind of event it was. The only thing it really says is

She said in court documents that she called the school's catering department three times about the payment, but didn't hear back until she received a threatening call from the school in June.

So she made three efforts to straighten out the mistake, and then the school called her at the end of the quarter when all the books were likely being done. Their oversight, mistake, and unwillingness to call her back are all things that are not her fault, and for that reason I side with her.

Archived