• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The real reason Cam Newton left the post game interview

Jeremy Igo

Cam is human with human emotions.  Whats so hard to understand about that.  I would be bummed too if I had just come 1 game from winning the super bowl.  The journey is long and hard and there is no guarantees that anyone ever gets back.  

I think the fact they have to speak so soon after they lost the biggest game of their lives, a game in which a very competitive player like Cam did not play well in at all, basically just sets these players up for this.  This is why I had zero issues with what Marshawn Lynch did with the media during the 2 Super Bowls he was a part of.  There was no real way Cam could have come out looking good in this instance.  If he was up there not sulking.. they'd say he didn't care and was too care free and a bunch of other BS.  

He's a huge lightning rod for controversy right now.  Cam's polarizing figure reminds me so much of Richard Sherman two years ago.. when you're such a great talent, more and more people want to see that person fail.  Such is the American way ironically.  We root for athletes, celebs, etc as an underdog but when they become too good we hate them. 

That's exactly what is transpiring with Cam.  

I'd like to get off Cam's back and ask our god-damned "coaches" WTF were THEY doing in the 2 weeks leading up to this game, and making ZERO adjustments at half-time??  THEY are the ones who should have been answering the fugging media after this game.  fuging disgraceful that all of this poo comes down on Cam.  poo, even I could have called a few different plays.  This was NOT Cam's fault.  Someone decided Cam was not to be in charge on that field yesterday.  I took one look at his face right before the beginning of the game, and said Uh-Oh, something's wrong.  That was before the first snap.

7 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Update: According to our good buddy Darin Gannt, all Superbowl press conferences are set up as such. 

I love Darin Gannt, he's a smart, funny man. But this is not the way postgame has been done in the past and I do not think it is the way it should be done.  The Denver defense can crow because they were fantastic but they are being jackasses more so than anything Cam did. I can not recall at any point when our team did anything but praised the other team as professionals. Even Josh Norman in his own odd way. Beckham doesn't count; he's not professional.

I wrote this last night in another thread:

It's funny how, despite the "50" hoopala & marching past MVP's on the field, the history of the Super Bowl is more like recent events. I remember when no one wanted to talk to the losing team. When the losing team's locker room was off limits to the press, out of respect for the players. When QB's & players refused to talk to the press after the game. When only written statements were issued. When statements were read at the podium with no questions taken. When grown men cried at the podium. When QB's would throw their teammates under the bus (Hey Jimbo, I'll never forget, you asswipe. Karma is a bitch.) When, out of respect for all the men who play the game of football, the meet-the-press areas were separate for winners & losers. And now, because social media.

I have no problem with Cam's demeanor at the postgame podium or that he walked away. Would it have been any better if he had said, "I can't talk about this now" like others before him have? No. People grieve differently & that is what losing the Super Bowl is, grieving.

I do have a large problem with how the NFL is handling all the postgame crap (in the losing team's locker room? Really??) & especially how our local media has blown it up, starting with the Charlotte Observer.

54 minutes ago, pinkfloyd said:

I'd like to get off Cam's back and ask our god-damned "coaches" WTF were THEY doing in the 2 weeks leading up to this game, and making ZERO adjustments at half-time??  THEY are the ones who should have been answering the fugging media after this game.  fuging disgraceful that all of this poo comes down on Cam.  poo, even I could have called a few different plays.  This was NOT Cam's fault.  Someone decided Cam was not to be in charge on that field yesterday.  I took one look at his face right before the beginning of the game, and said Uh-Oh, something's wrong.  That was before the first snap.

I agree with everything here. Cam didn't look like his usual confident, upbeat self prior to the ball being snapped. At first, I thought t was just nerves. But then he went out and I knew it was much more than that. I wonder if it was the overall game plan that he was unhappy with. 

50 minutes ago, CatMan72 said:

This proves to me that Cam cares more about winning than individual honors. If he was the self-absorbed "me first" player he's routinely made out to be he could have sat there with a grin knowing he just won MVP and OPY.

He does. Cam, despite what people think, is very much a team player. He wants to win. He says all the time, just put it in my hands. It's no secret that he put the offense on his back so him taking losses this hard doesn't surprise me because he's the player who gives everything he has on the field. You've gotta love it. I love his passion for the game. You're absolutely right, coming off of winning two awards including MVP he could've been really smug last night like oh well and threw them under the bus. But he didn't. He took it as a Cam let down not only to himself, but to his teammates and the city. It bothers me that people can't see this side of it. You don't have to be a "Cam fan" to understand that. 

As the face of this franchise Cam needs to learn to accept defeat gracefully when in front of the cameras.  Anyone who says his performance at the presser was not an embarrassment to this franchise is lying to themselves or as immature as Cam still appears to be at times like this.  

Go ahead and flame me.  I have about 40 years life experience on most of you and I think I can take it.

8 hours ago, CCS said:

I do not think I have ever poo on Cam the entire time he's been here besides tonight/today. I was happy when we drafted him, I owned his jersey, I have his cards, i had a fuging McFarlane statue of him. Yesterday was bad though and he needs to take ownership of that.

Ignore this poster.  He's not even old enough to buy beer and thinks Hitler had some great ideas.  

I think it's something he'll learn from. He's been in the spotlight relentlessly for months now and in even more focus the last few weeks. You could tell even before the game the media stuff was something that was grating on him, of course when you're the MVP and practically the face of the league thats something he'll just have to learn to deal with. It is true that if he wants the fame/glory/praise etc that comes with the MVP he has to deal with the opposite when things like last night happens, but he'll learn from it come back stronger

7 hours ago, BANE said:

Hmmmmm, now what cold possibly be the difference here? One guy fails to show "sportsmanship" and he gets a pass. Another guy fails to show "sportsmanship" and is trashed by the media and some of his own "fans". Disclaimer, one of those guys is white, the other isn't. Guess which one got the pass. 

Cam actually did show sportsmanship towards Manning on the field.  He just did not give the media the answers they wanted while Manning did.

There is nothing the media hates more than someone that does not give them exactly what they want.

6 minutes ago, Goondal said:

Cam actually did show sportsmanship towards Manning on the field.  He just did not give the media the answers they wanted while Manning did.

There is nothing the media hates more than someone that does not give them exactly what they want.

They also derive a perverse pleasure from a calculated character assassination of those people, not unlike the sadistic kid who enjoys pulling the wings off of bugs.

"Muckraker" is an overly generous description of that profession.

I've always felt the post game interview was kind of ridiculous. For any sport, you already know what the questions are going to be and there are about 4 cookie cutter answers for each one. They try to get guys to steer from the cookie cutter answer so they can get a quote but then at the same time kill them for giving an honest answer or just being who they are. It is really a crazy clown show if you think about it.

"This is what you are supposed to say, but I don't really want you to say it because I need a hot quote"

"If you are honest we are going to crush you for not following the script"

"We want the guys to be honest and speak their minds"

What do you really want?

Archived