• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The real reason Cam Newton left the post game interview

Jeremy Igo

I'm disappointed in the body language - but -

If I had been betrayed by my OC and piss poor play selection

If I had put the ball on the money in key times and my recievers dropped them - ending the drive

If I had run 6 times for 45 yrds in the 1st half - and then never get my number called again in the 2nd half

If my backs never got a finger on the DE that they were supposed to chip or help with

If it seemed that every good drive ended with a snakebite

Then I gotta go into a media circus and hear the opposition brag about it

well, I might be pissed off too

Just now, truthjuice said:

It was poor setup to have him interviewing where they're celebrating and he can hear them talking about shutting the offense down. The setup was done in poor taste. He answered every question then excused himself. Panthers fans, rally around him. 

you mean REAL Panther fans..not these fairweather mofos who going back to sh*tting on him..

2 minutes ago, Davis83 said:

I'm disappointed in the body language - but -

If I had been betrayed by my OC and piss poor play selection

If I had put the ball on the money in key times and my recievers dropped them - ending the drive

If I had run 6 times for 45 yrds in the 1st half - and then never get my number called again in the 2nd half

If my backs never got a finger on the DE that they were supposed to chip or help with

If it seemed that every good drive ended with a snakebite

Then I gotta go into a media circus and hear the opposition brag about it

well, I might be pissed off too

I agree. Shula, the line and his teammates failed him. He tried carrying it at times and couldn't. 

Not sure if this has been posted but FYI http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Peyton-Manning-storms-off-Super-Bowl-field-Is-h?urn=nfl,218314

Peyton Manning(notes) didn't shake hands with New Orleans Saints players after his Indianapolis Colts lost 31-17 in Super Bowl XLIV. Apparently some think this is a sign of poor sportsmanship from the NFL's greatest player. It's not.

Walking off the field without congratulating Drew Brees(notes) may go against our misguided notion of what sportsmanship should be, but it wasn't at all disrespectful or bitter. It shows how much Peyton Manning wanted to win the game. And who can argue about that? 

LeBron James was caught up in a similar controversy during the NBA playoffs last year and the same thing that was true then is true now: A perfunctory handshake doesn't make someone a good sport. It either makes them indifferent to the game's result or a good actor. What would people have preferred Peyton and LeBron do, laugh off the loss with apathy and treat the victors to dinner after? This isn't Little League.

The only time I question my sports fandom is when the players I'm rooting for seem to care less about the result than I do. I don't want to see my team's quarterback laughing on the sideline while losing a big game. If I care so much, why shouldn't the players?

"It's just a job for these guys," is a familiar refrain. The natural response to that is the great ones make their job their passion. Hall of Fames don't tend to include guys who can't care. The desire to win is what sustains greatness. You think Michael Jordan was hugging Isiah Thomas after losses in the 1980s? Or that Larry Bird stayed on the court to congratulate Kareem? Ted Williams and Joe DiMaggio weren't going out for drinks after the Yankees beat the Red Sox. The great ones are competitors and competitors can't flip a switch immediately after a devastating loss and act like it didn't matter.

Being a good sportsman is playing fair, respecting the game and giving credit after to an opponent. Manning did all those things Sunday. In his postgame press conference he said of his quick exit:

"I certainly know how it was three years ago when we won. There's not much consolation for the guys who didn't win. There's the stage being set up and the celebration. It's time for the Saints to celebrate. It's their field."

That's probably a tad disingenuous, but no more than it would have been if Peyton had walked over to congratulate Drew Brees.

For the record, Peyton did call Brees later in the night. Said the Saints quarterback: "Peyton's a class guy." If the man who was supposedly snubbed thinks so, that's enough for me.

I guess when Peyton does it it just shows how much he wants to win but if Cam does it it's classless and he's sulking

17 minutes ago, CCS said:

Like he has been rubbing it people's faces all season? Cam and his hardcore nuthuggers need to grow up.

Who's face has he been rubbing it in? Cam's dancing has nothing to do with rubbing it in the face of anyone, and more to do with him having fun. He's stated several times he's not trying to show anyone up. You should go be a fan of another team, because what we do on the sidelines and during games are going to continue happening. Grow up? Everyone here is grown....Cam is grown. Being a grown up doesn't mean you have to stop having fun, and the minute I see cam not having fun out there is the minute I'll know he doesn't care anymore, which likely means we suck again. And if he sucks, you and ppl like you will complain about him anyways. So screw you and everyone else who has something to say. He needs to continue what he's been doing, because y'all won't like him anyways

5 minutes ago, UKPanther94 said:

Not sure if this has been posted but FYI http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Peyton-Manning-storms-off-Super-Bowl-field-Is-h?urn=nfl,218314

I guess when Peyton does it it just shows how much he wants to win but if Cam does it it's classless and he's sulking

He's white that's why he isn't criticized.

10 minutes ago, SportsCrazie4172 said:

you mean REAL Panther fans..not these fairweather mofos who going back to sh*tting on him..

Yes, REAL Panther fans. Now is the time to really be "team Cam" because he probably feels like he failed the team and the Carolinas. It sucks for him. Sure, he could've sat up straight and been very detailed in every answer but Cam sat there as a quarterback who failed. So his teammates and us fans have to really, really rally around him. He's tough and he's resilient so he will indeed lead us back. You could tell last night that his confidence was shot. In the words of Eugene Robinson, DO YOUR THING YOUNG MAN. He's great and will recover. 

4 minutes ago, Cookie Lyon said:

He's white that's why he isn't criticized.

People don't even get it. Everything Cam does that's opposite of Peyton and Tom is because he's a black quarterback. How dare he handle losing that bad and winning this good. How dare he put a team on his back, carry it until he can't anymore and feels some type of way. How dare he excuse himself from the sounds of celebrating by his opposition. No athlete would've done that. I read oh Russell didn't. I don't remember Russell's post game being in earshot of the other team either. I really hope fans are waiting when they get off of the buses. They, Cam especially, needs to feel the love. 

2 minutes ago, CCS said:

It would have been much easier to rally around him if he came out and said something like Thomas Davis did. It's hard to feel bad for him when he both sucked and acted like a manchild after.

Big age difference between the two. I'm 32 right now and I handle things a lot better today then when I was 26. Dude is still a damn kid in today's society and he is putting the entire franchise on his shoulders. Stfu

Archived