• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Smith Sr - I never thought the Panthers would play this well

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, thomas96 said:

That's always been one of my favorite Star Wars lines. I died laughing when I first saw it. Han is the man.

Did you know Harrison Ford went off script and ad libbed that part?  The original line was just the generic "I love you"  "I love you too", then he gets frozen in carbonite.  Ford was like "nah fug that, that's not Han Solo... that's cheesy as hell".  Lucas told him that's the way it was, then Ford proceeded to rebel and surprise everyone with the "I know" line during filming.  Pissed George Lucas off at first but he eventually gave in once everyone on set agreed it was much better.

Things like that are a huge reason why the prequels weren't anywhere near as good.  George Lucas had complete authority over everything and no one dared challenge his word or offer constructive criticism to his vision in order to improve things.  He'd become something of an egomaniac after all the success of the OT.

3 minutes ago, RelaxImaPro said:

Did you know Harrison Ford went off script and ad libbed that part?  The original line was just the generic "I love you"  "I love you too", then he gets frozen in carbonite.  Ford was like "nah fug that, that's not Han Solo... that's cheesy as hell".  Lucas told him that's the way it was, then Ford proceeded to rebel and surprise everyone with the "I know" line during filming.  Pissed George Lucas off at first but he eventually gave in once everyone on set agreed it was much better.

Things like that are a huge reason why the prequels weren't anywhere near as good.  George Lucas had complete authority over everything and no one dared challenge his word or offer constructive criticism to his vision in order to improve things.  He'd become something of an egomaniac after all the success of the OT.

The prequels were great. Lucas is Star Wars. The new one was trash.

8 minutes ago, PhillyB said:

can't wait til he comes back to retire with us.

Back when he was making the "born to be a Raven" comments and ripping Panther fans who tweeted him, I wouldn't have thought that possible.

Now?  Don't know, but maybe.

Sometimes when you get dumped, you get really really pissed at the ex.  But then when you see them being genuinely happy with someone else, happier than they ever were with you...well.

At that point, you can either make it about you and be bitter or you can just accept that it really is better this way for all involved.

I don't know which one Smith will do. 

My guess would be he'll always maintain that the team would have somehow been even better to keep him (not that there's much room for improvement this season unless we lose the Super Bowl) but he might at least finally let go of the anger and reconcile with the team that helped make him what he is.

I guess we'll see.

22 minutes ago, thomas96 said:

I like them all. In my opinion the new one is the best since ROTJ. I don't care if it follows a bit close to the original 3, I think it should. We have plenty of other Space/war movies to enjoy.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

My guess would be he'll always maintain that the team would have somehow been even better to keep him (not that there's much room for improvement this season unless we lose the Super Bowl) but he might at least finally let go of the anger and reconcile with the team that helped make him what he is.

He comes across very well via audio and video, and I can't help thinking he wants a network job after he retires. Turning off any bad feelings toward the Panthers while the mic/camera is on him, makes him look a lot more attractive as an analyst. And even if he doesn't have an interest in a talking head job, avoiding any sour grapes talk about the Panthers makes him look like a good guy as well as a good player. Maybe he's just finally grown up.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I guess we'll see.

I guess we will.

3 minutes ago, caatfan said:

He comes across very well via audio and video, and I can't help thinking he wants a network job after he retires. Turning off any bad feelings toward the Panthers while the mic/camera is on him, makes him look a lot more attractive as an analyst. And even if he doesn't have an interest in a talking head job, avoiding any sour grapes talk about the Panthers makes him look like a good guy as well as a good player. Maybe he's just finally grown up.

I guess we will.

Smith has a wife and kids.  To me that was what always set him apart from a guy like Terrell Owens.  It meant he had someone to help keep him grounded. Sometimes, other people in your life help you (or force you) to see what you don't see yourself.

He's indicated he'll play at least one more year, so I suppose we're still a ways off from the final outcome.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Sometimes, other people in your life help you (or force you) to see what you don't see yourself.

I hope that's the case with him. He's clearly a smart guy, but always seemed to have trouble impulse wise. He doesn't seem so much the hothead anymore. I hope his legacy can end more gracious than grievous. 

19 minutes ago, caatfan said:

I hope that's the case with him. He's clearly a smart guy, but always seemed to have trouble impulse wise. He doesn't seem so much the hothead anymore. I hope his legacy can end more gracious than grievous. 

Smith's biggest mistakes have generally come from impulsiveness, hotheadedness or pride.

Some of those things do tend to lessen as you get older.

56 minutes ago, thomas96 said:

They weren't as terrible as some people make them out to be... nor did I even call them bad, I just said they weren't near as good as the original trilogy.  I mean it's your opinion, and everyone has one, but I'd be hard-pressed to find anything "great" about the prequels aside from a few scenes here and there and the music.

I also wasn't as crazy about the new one as everyone else.  Either way, that's not what my post was about... I was just telling the story behind that Han Solo line for people who didn't know.

3 minutes ago, RelaxImaPro said:

They weren't as terrible as some people make them out to be... nor did I even call them bad, I just said they weren't near as good as the original trilogy.  I mean it's your opinion, and everyone has one, but I'd be hard-pressed to find anything "great" about the prequels aside from a few scenes here and there and the music.

I also wasn't as crazy about the new one as everyone else.  Either way, that's not what my post was about... I was just telling the story behind that Han Solo line for people who didn't know.

I didn't know that and I think it's pretty cool but it seemed to me like much of your post was ripping on Lucas. I think Lucas did a great job with all 6 movies, they were all original and had great plots and writing and particularly good acting from relative unknowns--people all rip on Christensen but I thought he portrayed Anakin amazingly. And Ewan McGregor's performance in all 3 movies was absolutely superb. Of course any time something starts out so good it's hard to top in public opinion so the prequels were doomed from the start. They could've been a million times better and people would still hate them. I do believe 4 and 5 are better than the prequels but I like 1-3 better than 6. 7 stained the entire thing in my opinion. Should've gone with Lucas' ideas or he should've just done it himself instead of selling out.

12 minutes ago, RelaxImaPro said:

Episode I was an abomination of film making.

Archived