• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Smith Sr - I never thought the Panthers would play this well

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Smith more than once stated the belief that Gettleman - and probably Rivera too - would fail and get fired in short order and he'd have the last laugh. I think he sees now that that's not gonna happen.

He's lost this war, and he knows it.

oh the aftermath of his release paints Steve in a bad light no doubt, but honestly I didn't expect any different. It's Steve Smith we are talking about 

4 minutes ago, SOJA said:

oh the aftermath of his release paints Steve in a bad light no doubt, but honestly I didn't expect any different. It's Steve Smith we are talking about 

This place was an absolute meltdown when that happened.

Funny to remember what it was like then versus where we are now.

18 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Smith more than once stated the belief that Gettleman - and probably Rivera too - would fail and get fired in short order and he'd have the last laugh. I think he sees now that that's not gonna happen.

He's lost this war, and he knows it.

War is a bit of an exaggeration. If it weren't for people engaging and pushing his buttons on social media it would have never come to light.

2 minutes ago, csx said:

War is a bit of an exaggeration. If it weren't for people engaging and pushing his buttons on social media it would have never come to light.

Not for Smith it isn't.

When he was let go, he was absolutely on a warpath.  That's just who he is.

I think a big part of the reason why he's calmer about it now is because he knows it's over, and he lost.

48 minutes ago, 2jakefansinva said:

Love ya Smitty but........it's the locker room

The Panthers have had 6 10+ win seasons. Steve Smith has been a leader on the field and in the locker room for 4 of those seasons.

So, when the Panthers get their 5th 10+ win season post Steve Smith leadership, then we can have this discussion.

9 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

The Panthers have had 6 10+ win seasons. Steve Smith has been a leader on the field and in the locker room for 4 of those seasons.

So, when the Panthers get their 5th 10+ win season post Steve Smith leadership, then we can have this discussion.

We've been division champs two years in a row without him and have our best record ever and a pretty good chance at our first world championship only one season after letting him go.

We can have this conversation right now.

It truly is remarkable when you think about it. This teams is 17-1. I didn't really hit me till the other day, we are normally talking 13-3 or 12-4 being the standard for a good season, but to go from 7-8-1 to 17-1 the next season is pretty crazy. I have come to the realization that a lot of the hate comes from people still not accepting the fact the Panthers were really this good this season and is not just one side of the ball, we have dominated on offense and defense all season....there are no holes or significant chinks in the armor that could hurts us going forward. One thing we wanted for the longest is consistent wining of the team and i think we are at least gonna get that now.

It's really nice to see Smitty set any past issues with the organization aside and look at the team and the upcoming game as an analyst (I suspect we'll be seeing him behind a mic and desk after he retires) and give an objective opinion.

As for his departure from the Panthers, I think it's clear that he's a strong willed guy, and a leader. He just wasn't the leader the team needed. This needed to be Cam's team.

34 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

We've been division champs two years in a row without him and have our best record ever and a pretty good chance at our first world championship only one season after letting him go.

We can have this conversation right now.

Since he's been so professional discussing the Panthers lately, I'll let bygones be bygones.

Archived