• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How come no props to Jeff Davidson ???

E CaT PanTHer

Oh yes, I give Jeff Davidson props increasingly with every game I watch. I thank the Lord that John Fox found Mr. Davidson every time I see an offensive adjustment, by gosh, before halftime even sometimes. Every time I see him personally congratulate his offense when they come off the field. Every time I see him go talk to some part of the offense that needs some clarification. Every time I see McCoy actually talking & listening to Jake instead of barely listening and never talking. Every time I see the offense having fun and relaxing on the side line. Every time I see them come together on the side line to solve a problem the opponent's defense is giving them.

I have no doubt that Dan Henning would not have us at 11-3 this year, ready to conquer the world, whether we are healthy or not. There is no way a Henning-run offense would be so productive without tension. No way.

Every team who uses sweeps, pulling guards and outside running uses a zone scheme. as others have said, the difference is that many teams use smaller faster linemen to get outside. But it works best with fast mobile big linemen who can still get out in space but can also block in a power running scheme as well. Right now we have the best of both worlds.

Davidson vs Henning is an interesting argument.

Henning had known tendencies, not all of which were good. Davidson is still learning, but that also means there's not as much "book" on him as there is a guy like Henning (i.e. he's less predictable).

Davidson has definitely improved in his playcalling and scheming. He could be a guy on the rise, but part of me hopes he doesn't "rise" too much. If the team makes the Super Bowl, other teams will start eyeballing him, and I'd kinda like to keep him.

Davidson vs Henning is an interesting argument.

Henning had known tendencies, not all of which were good. Davidson is still learning, but that also means there's not as much "book" on him as there is a guy like Henning (i.e. he's less predictable).

Davidson has definitely improved in his playcalling and scheming. He could be a guy on the rise, but part of me hopes he doesn't "rise" too much. If the team makes the Super Bowl, other teams will start eyeballing him, and I'd kinda like to keep him.

this has been my major concern.

there could end up being anywhere from 12-15 head coaching changes made this offseason. it's ridiculous how bad it could get and a rising star like davidson if we pull off the superbowl or even just make it to the superbowl could be a hot commodity in a market like that.

just in case you were wondering about that number of changes here's my list of possibilities:

1. colts- if dungy retires like he has been talking about for a couple years
  2. cowboys- wade is gone no matter what
  3. vikings- childress hasn't been getting the vikings where they could be with that team. lot's of talk about him leaving
  4. jets- talk of mangini getting the boot if they don't get to the playoffs has been rising though i don't see him really leaving
  5. bucs- he hasn't been able to do anything with the team and they haven't been thrilled with him for a couple years. time to part ways
  6. eagles- another case where there has been a lot of talk but i don't think this will happen. still possible
  7. saints- payton has done squat since his first year with what should be an all star team
  8. bills- dick jauron is toast
  9. chargers- norv has driven the team into the ground. lack of confidence form the players
  10. 49ers- do the keep singletary? who knows? the job is still up in the air.
  11. browns- romeo's head size won't be a concern for the team pushing it through the door.
  12. raiders- tom cable can't keep his coaching staff from leaving and he has a crazy demon for a boss
  13. seahawks- duh...already have mora lined up to take over for the retiring walrus
  14. bengals- either lewis walks cause he is tired of the lack of control he has over who is on the team or he gets the boot. either case he ain't staying
  15. chiefs- new sheriff in town. does herm get thrown out? the team was a playoff contender before he got there.
  16. rams- they might be content to see what haslett can do with a whole year but bringing him in sure didn't turn things around for them.
  17. lions- gonna shake things up from the top down now that millen's gone. what happened to the falcons and the dolphins last year is going to happen to the lions as far as changes going on.

i don't see all of that happening by any means but there still could be a lot of them happening.

this has been my major concern.

there could end up being anywhere from 12-15 head coaching changes made this offseason. it's ridiculous how bad it could get and a rising star like davidson if we pull off the superbowl or even just make it to the superbowl could be a hot commodity in a market like that.

just in case you were wondering about that number of changes here's my list of possibilities:

1. colts- if dungy retires like he has been talking about for a couple years
  2. cowboys- wade is gone no matter what
  3. vikings- childress hasn't been getting the vikings where they could be with that team. lot's of talk about him leaving
  4. jets- talk of mangini getting the boot if they don't get to the playoffs has been rising though i don't see him really leaving
  5. bucs- he hasn't been able to do anything with the team and they haven't been thrilled with him for a couple years. time to part ways
  6. eagles- another case where there has been a lot of talk but i don't think this will happen. still possible
  7. saints- payton has done squat since his first year with what should be an all star team
  8. bills- dick jauron is toast
  9. chargers- norv has driven the team into the ground. lack of confidence form the players
  10. 49ers- do the keep singletary? who knows? the job is still up in the air.
  11. browns- romeo's head size won't be a concern for the team pushing it through the door.
  12. raiders- tom cable can't keep his coaching staff from leaving and he has a crazy demon for a boss
  13. seahawks- duh...already have mora lined up to take over for the retiring walrus
  14. bengals- either lewis walks cause he is tired of the lack of control he has over who is on the team or he gets the boot. either case he ain't staying
  15. chiefs- new sheriff in town. does herm get thrown out? the team was a playoff contender before he got there.
  16. rams- they might be content to see what haslett can do with a whole year but bringing him in sure didn't turn things around for them.
  17. lions- gonna shake things up from the top down now that millen's gone. what happened to the falcons and the dolphins last year is going to happen to the lions as far as changes going on.

i don't see all of that happening by any means but there still could be a lot of them happening.

The Colts and Cowboys already have guys with "heir apparent' status like the Seahawks do.

Rams probably go through the motions of a coaching search and keep Haslett anyway. Also think the 49ers keep Singletary.

I don't see Payton going anywhere. Ditto Childress, Gruden and Mangini.

Where I see the likely coaching openings:

Bills

Chargers

Browns

Raiders

Chiefs

Lions

Possibles:

Eagles

Bengals

Monday on Sirius, Moose gave Davidson props. He said that Davidson is learning more about what plays will work for them. Kind of implied that Davidson is developing as a coordinator and that we are now seeing it pay off.

Cool! That great to hear about what Moose said on Davidson. I really hope he will stay here for several years. :cool:

How much input did Henning have with personnel selection. Would we still have Moose, Stewart, Rosario, and Otah if Henning were still here?

My understanding is that he did play a role in the OL personnel at least. Once i found that out, I wasn't too happy about it because I really didn't blame Henning a bunch for a lot of the struggles because most of this team's $$ was spent on defense. I still don't think he was THE problem, and is pretty competent, but it just might have been time for a change. And as Brandon said, it seemed that he tried to get players to be who they weren't. That was my main beef with him as well. Worth noting is that the suck ass third down % has followed him to Miami (along with Maser!!!!) yet it has improved steadily in Carolina.

I was very excited when Davidson was hired. I was glad to see what Moose said which is what it looked like was happening as the year goes on. I also like that he lets Jake RUN the offense isntead of always just calling the plays he sends in and maybe having AN option at times. It doesn't show in Jake's stats, but there are times he changes the play and it is successful. How many times might those have been punts in the past because they had to stick with the original call?

Archived