• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How come no props to Jeff Davidson ???

E CaT PanTHer

I've seen so many threads praising players, coaches, etc, but none about Jeff Davidsion. This guy has completely turned the offense around. Last year, when Jake was healthy, he showed what this offense was capable of. This year, with his zone blocking scheme, has made the Panthers one of the top rushing teams in the league and one of the top scoring teams in the league.

Man, he's made me forget about Dan Henning so quickly. He's a big reason the Panthers are 11-3 right now.

Davidson is doing good, but Henning would have us just as far IMO. Henning+good running game=Smithy gets ball a lot and a lot of TD's too.

Henning has a major problem with the way he draws up offenses. He tries to force the players to fit into his plans, rather than developing offenses around the available staff. With us that meant trying to use Foster as a power back and that did not work out at all. He's sort of doing the same thing with the Dolphins' receiving corps, not taking advantage of the speed the receivers have, instead playing it more conservatively. I feel the way we are running the offense now is using guys like DeAngelo to the best of his abilities, allowing him to use his mobility rather than force him to rely on power when running the ball. The same goes for the passing game, we're getting much better at drawing up the kind of plays that work for big physical receivers like Moose and Jarrett, while also not forgetting that the tight end can do more than just block.

Actually, the Panthers have been running more of a hybrid of zone blocking and power blocking I think. I know that in the Monday night game the Panthers ran a type of zone blocking almost the entire game based off of what Williams and Smith said post game. But if you asked me while I was watching it, I would have said they were running a power blocking scheme. Whatever it is, it isn't the zone blocking that you see in Denver and Atlanta and that is what Davidson and Fox said when Davidson arrived. It's working though and working better than what Henning was producing back in 2003.

I would love to see some indepth reporting done on this because I know I was confused the other night when Williams was talking about the zone blocking.

i've been saying for some time that we haven't yet seen the extent of what davidson can do, that they were waiting until playoff time to open up more of the playbook. i believe the next few weeks we will be seeing a lot more creativity in the offense...not really gimmick plays but just more use of our strengths.

i have heard several people on the team give props to davidson. in the article about d-will and vinny, williams talked about how they were still getting used to davidson's offense so combine that with what it was mentioned moose said about davidson getting used to what the team can do and it is making sense.

the fact that we started off much slower the first half of the season but then really picked it up the past several weeks helps see that the davidson and the team are finally getting used to each other. we are capitalizing on the team's strengths and have become the highest scoring team in the league the last several weeks.

we are making changes and adjustments quickly and i just don't see that as something hurney was doing much. hurney was known for running a predictable offense. davidson is switching it up a lot more.

at any rate, i don't understand the loyalty to hurney that still exists around here sometimes. fox thought we could do better and we are now more solid than we have ever been. much of that has to do with the players we have but it also has to do with the fact that we are getting more out of our players than we have in a long time, which i believe, is because of davidson's playcalling.

doesn't hurt that our offense has stayed healthy, and they are executing.

Our offense is definitely improved over last year. That really isn't saying a lot, considering the QB problems that we had. In my eyes, we still have room for improvement too.

While I like the addition of Davidson, and think it is a good fit. It started with him being a good fit to John Fox.

The progression of the offense is happening just as most of us predicted. It was going to start out slow. With Smith suspended 2 games, the offensive line totally revamped, a rookie and first year starter at running back, a quarterback coming off major surgery and a year on IR, everyone knew it would take time to get things going. I figure they are doing fine and peaking at the right time.

Archived