• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Defenders

fitty76

Hey guys I know the media, 31 fan bases, the media, some panthers fans, the media, guys on the street, the media and the media have trashed Cam for the last 5 + YEARS, but now that the tables have turned over the last 2+ WEEKS could you maybe tone it down some? It's getting a little annoying, mmkay? Thaaaanks.

GET ALL THE WAY THE fug OUTTA HERE WITH THAT BULLSHIT!

36 minutes ago, aussiePanther said:

Can you give me an example (including context) of criticism of Cam you think is valid that has been unfairly derided as racist or being purely hating on Cam?

So Cam is a perfect QB in every way possible?  There is absolutely nothing you can say critical of him without being labeled a hater?   

2 minutes ago, fitty76 said:

"I don't like his throwing motion"  

that one doesnt bother me at all, that one is laughable...to me his throwing motion is butter. I respect anyones opinion however it is my opinion that whoever said that has a really crappy opinion. Maybe they should have to have their opinion go stand in the corner for a while

5 minutes ago, fitty76 said:

So Cam is a perfect QB in every way possible?  There is absolutely nothing you can say critical of him without being labeled a hater?   

Maybe you could try, oh I don't know, bring up a fair criticism and see how it goes. Instead of just complaining about unfair criticisms all willy nilly like.

C'mon guys, I am a sensitive guy. Being able to fairly criticize Cam is all I got. Don't take that away from me. lol

Complaining about complaining is nye on pointless.

I can agree with the idea that not every single criticism of Newton is race-based.  If there's something somebody doesn't like about him, it doesn't automatically make that person a racist.

That said, what observation has told me over the past few years - especially this season - is that precious little of the criticism that comes Cam's way from outside of Panther nation is football based, and a pretty solid percentage of it is either unfair or hypocritical.

I don't see people complaining about the times he sails passes or makes a bad decision or misses an open receiver (probably in part because those issues have been seen a lot less this year than in past years).  Instead I hear "oh, I don't like when he dances" or "it's arrogant to signal first down" or "it's disrespectful to take pictures" or some other silliness.

Frankly, I don't give a flaming s--t about any of those things.

For one, plenty of players do that stuff, and whether it pisses people off or not tends to depend on whether the guy doing it plays for their team or is beating their team. 

Fans are hypocrites, but I've known that forever.  So what?

Heck, i grew up watching football before it became the 'No Fun league', when you had guys like Billy 'White Shoes' Johnson, Merton Hanks and the Redskins 'Fun Bunch' (choreographed celebrations).  Heck, most of us were watching when Steve Smith and Chad Johnson were trying to outdo each other's celebrations on a week to week basis.  I actually wish they'd relax those rules again and just let guys have fun.

Now me?  When I played, I never pulled any of that stuff, but I had nothing against the guys who did. 

It's fun to win. Why not enjoy it?

Now, there have been guys in the league who have done genuinely bad things.  Guys like Darren Sharper, Ben Roethlisberger, Leonard Little, Jerramy Stevens, Donte Stallworth, Ray Rice, Greg Hardy if you believe his accuser, sadly Rae Carruth and now apparently Johnny Manziel.  You wanna talk to me about someone worthy of true dislike?  Bring up guys like that.

But Newton?  Come on.  Probably 99% of the people who criticize his persona would love every second of it if he played for their favorite team.

So bottom line: No, not everybody who criticizes Newton is racist.  I'm sure some are but you can't really tell that from what little you generally hear.  And yeah the "what if Cam did that" stuff is pretty silly (I'd wager literally almost nobody outside of this board even cares). 

It is, however, correct to say that a pretty significant portion of the negativity that gets thrown his way is unfair and an awful lot of it is hypocritical, and thus I don't really have a problem with people calling those things out when they see them.

9 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

Maybe you could try, oh I don't know, bring up a fair criticism and see how it goes. Instead of just complaining about unfair criticisms all willy nilly like.

C'mon guys, I am a sensitive guy. Being able to fairly criticize Cam is all I got. Don't take that away from me. lol

Complaining about complaining is nye on pointless.

Okay.  I don't think this would happen, but let's say next year Cam turns into Colin Kaepernick.  I don't want to see people on this board ripping him to shreds.  You guys made your bed and you are 100% all in on Cam.  So if he has a bad season next year don't let me catch any of you ripping him at all.    

5 minutes ago, fitty76 said:

Okay.  I don't think this would happen, but let's say next year Cam turns into Colin Kaepernick.  I don't want to see people on this board ripping him to shreds.  You guys made your bed and you are 100% all in on Cam.  So if he has a bad season next year don't let me catch any of you ripping him at all.    

I don't know of a single quarterback out there who's completely free of flaws.  Granted some have more than others, but nobody's perfect.

If I see something about the way Newton plays that I think is worth critiquing, I'll do so.

Right now though, there's not a lot to say on that front.  He's playing extremely well and the MVP recognition is very much deserved.

2 minutes ago, fitty76 said:

If you truly believe that there is even a remote possibility that Cam will fall apart next year. God have mercy on your soul.

You obviously believe that all the work Cam has put in to become the best was just so much hoowey. That he truly believes that he has nothing more to prove. That he worked this hard to get to this point only to rest on his laurels. Because you have to believe this stuff to be even able to entertain the idea that Cam will regress next year.

Cam is one of the hardest working players in the whole damm league. That is not going to stop. He wants to be the best and he ain't gonna stop working toward that goal. Never.

6 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

If you truly believe that there is even a remote possibility that Cam will fall apart next year. God have mercy on your soul.

You obviously believe that all the work Cam has put in to become the best was just so much hoowey. That he truly believes that he has nothing more to prove. That he worked this hard to get to this point only to rest on his laurels. Because you have to believe this stuff to be even able to entertain the idea that Cam will regress next year.

Cam is one of the hardest working players in the whole damm league. That is not going to stop. He wants to be the best and he ain't gonna stop working toward that goal. Never.

From all accounts that's the truth.  That's what separates GREAT players from GOOD players.  They all put in the work, but some put in a little more.  There hasn't been anybody that's played any sport and become great by not working extremely hard.  Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzky, etc.  They all had the athletic ability but so does everyone else playing professional sports.  Guys like Jordan and Cam though, have that extra bit of freak athleticism that you can't teach or learn so there is that to consider.

Archived